Frustration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to handle fellow residents who it seems don't make an effort to help out when asked.

You do all you can to answer questions (in person or text) regarding what is required for a block that you have already taken, but when it's your turn to ask a couple of questions for a requirement for a block you know some of your fellow residents have taken, and it's crickets. Sadly, the concepts of teamwork, consideration, and helping out are not reciprocated. It is so frustrating and disappointing especially when you are part of the interviewing process for ERAs and you tell applicants your fellow residents are all helpful (dishonest as some are and there are others that just don't care enough to be a part of the team).

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how to handle fellow residents who it seems don't make an effort to help out when asked.

You do all you can to answer questions (in person or text) regarding what is required for a block that you have already taken, but when it's your turn to ask a couple of questions for a requirement for a block you know some of your fellow residents have taken, and it's crickets. Sadly, the concepts of teamwork, consideration, and helping out are not reciprocated. It is so frustrating and disappointing especially when you are part of the interviewing process for ERAs and you tell applicants your fellow residents are all helpful (dishonest as some are and there are others that just don't care enough to be a part of the team).
This happened among my so-called co-fellows in rheumatology fellowship…cliquish and very disinterested in helping out their colleagues.

My solution? Graduate from fellowship and never talk to these people again. (I made life long friendships among the folks at the fellowship across town…but aside from one particular person that I’m still in touch with, I do not keep up with any of my own co fellows).

Reactions: 1 user
Any benefits to calling those particular residents out for their unwillingness to help out another member of the team? On the group text or one on one? Or just let it go and get the answers from faculty instead with the understanding that these peers are just unreliable.

I’m really torn as I have tried from the beginning to lead by example and make every effort to answers questions or even take the initiative to provide information on blocks I’ve already taken to give all my fellow residents a heads up on what to expect.

I know it’s like being born into a family, one can’t choose the others in your particular residency class. But I am thinking about the future and throwing my hat into ring to becoming chief is something I’m considering. Alienating those in particular now will make it harder in the future to lead if chiefdom is achieved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of texting or emailing these co-residents, try asking them in person for their impressions. "Hey there, I'm moving over to X's rotation next, do you have any tips for me on how to start it off smoothly?" Got to find them at a time they are in the cafeteria or not in the middle of something busy.
Calling them out for not being a team player is not your role and will make them less likely to want to talk to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Any benefits to calling those particular residents out for their unwillingness to help out another member of the team? On the group text or one on one? Or just let it go and get the answers from faculty instead with the understanding that these peers are just unreliable.

I’m really torn as I have tried from the beginning to lead by example and make every effort to answers questions or even take the initiative to provide information on blocks I’ve already taken to give all my fellow residents a heads up on what to expect.

I know it’s like being born into a family, one can’t choose the others in your particular residency class. But I am thinking about the future and throwing my hat into ring to becoming chief is something I’m considering. Alienating those in particular now will make it harder in the future to lead if chiefdom is achieved.
In my experience, you’re not likely going to be able to change this type of behavior…and being chief amongst a bunch of residents that act like this isn’t likely to be pleasant either.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't get any better in the real world either. There are about 4/11 of us who constantly pick up extra shifts and fill in the holes when the schedule is bare. Our director doesn't even pick up shifts to help out when there are sick calls and its sparce. Work ethic is ingrained as is personal laziness. You can't teach it, you can't fix it. Focus on yourself and leave the rest in the dust.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users