Freakin out and its only 1st Semester!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've started 1st Semester of my DS1 year. The load is crazy obviously with 9 class...few dental related courses (anatomy, operative, etc.) and MANY very difficult sciences..but i'm mainly concerned about my biochem course. the prof is terrible. he's extremely vague and apparently his tests are nothing but curve balls...its impossible to prepare for according to all the DS2's i've talked to. My concern is...if I end up say pulling a C in this class...what happens if I want to do my Air Force residency (or maybe even specialize)? My plan right now is to finish school...do the AEGD...then start my payback time. I'm probably freakin out for nothing..but I cant help but think i'm going to screw myself and its only my first year! I want start off well but it's like i've already found that impossible hurdle. Yikes

Members don't see this ad.

So I've started 1st Semester of my DS1 year. The load is crazy obviously with 9 class...few dental related courses (anatomy, operative, etc.) and MANY very difficult sciences..but i'm mainly concerned about my biochem course. the prof is terrible. he's extremely vague and apparently his tests are nothing but curve balls...its impossible to prepare for according to all the DS2's i've talked to. My concern is...if I end up say pulling a C in this class...what happens if I want to do my Air Force residency (or maybe even specialize)? My plan right now is to finish school...do the AEGD...then start my payback time. I'm probably freakin out for nothing..but I cant help but think i'm going to screw myself and its only my first year! I want start off well but it's like i've already found that impossible hurdle. Yikes

I'm with you man. I just outlined my test and quiz schedule for the first semester and some weeks, we have something every single day. But I guess a ton of people have gone before us and done well, so its probably just first semester jitters.

Hang in there. The first year is the toughest, because the schedule is packed compared to college and all the classes require some studying. You'll make it through. At least in my school, there was always a curve that brought your grade up in the end.

Remember to take some time to have fun too. Work hard, play hard. You'll find a balance between the two.

As for residencies, you do need good grades for civilian residencies, but for the military a lot is based on your Officer Evaluation Reports (OERs). Your chances are better, but the trade off is a longer commitment. Endo and Ortho are still competitive though so good grades don't hurt. A couple C's in your first semester isn't going to have a big impact on your overall GPA, remember that a lot of your GPA will come from lab and clinic. Guys that are at the top of the class right now, might be horrible once they have to use their hands, it'll balance out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear ya. Learned more my first week of dental school than I would in a month of undergrad.

3 quizzes already...bombed one. I think it's important to pick yourself up quickly because there really isn't enough time to dwell on past mistakes.

I had a similar experience with my biochem professor. You might try Lippincotts Biochemistry Outline or the Board Review Series for Biochemistry. Either of these two will supplement the class when the professor is vague and the text when the author begins to take too much for granted and skip steps.

Everyone says that it is impossible to prepare for dental school but I've never believed this. People say the same thing in that it is impossible to prepare for war, but every year the military spends millions doing that very thing. Preparation beats b.s. any day of the week.

You can do it guy.

Just an idea, anyone else feel free to chime in.

You might consider getting a set of Dental Decks early. They are a huge set of flash cards that cover everything you need to know for National Boards. While they won't help much for the quizzes and tests. You might find them helpful for reviewing for the finals and it'll clue you into things that might be on the board, but were skimmed over in class.

Then when National Boards come along you may feel more comfortable when you go over them again. It's a big box, so just go through a small stack at a time. Reviewing them while the details of the class are still in your head might be better than trying to remember it all 2 years down the road.

You can probably pick up a set cheap from a senior, I found them helpful for board review.

Just an idea, anyone else feel free to chime in.

You might consider getting a set of Dental Decks early. They are a huge set of flash cards that cover everything you need to know for National Boards. While they won't help much for the quizzes and tests. You might find them helpful for reviewing for the finals and it'll clue you into things that might be on the board, but were skimmed over in class.

Then when National Boards come along you may feel more comfortable when you go over them again. It's a big box, so just go through a small stack at a time. Reviewing them while the details of the class are still in your head might be better than trying to remember it all 2 years down the road.

You can probably pick up a set cheap from a senior, I found them helpful for board review.
Did any of the first years buy dental decks?

i would second bquad's idea.

also, don't start freaking out yet. you've got 4 YEARS of having high numbers of semester hours!! it will be easy to make up for a "C" later! (not so easy to make up for 6 or 8 "C's" though!) 4 or 5 hours of 2.0 isn't going to mean much by the time you've completed 160 hours!