FP/EM or IM/EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

What are the advantages/disadvantages to choosing one of these programs over the other?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to work for several years at a clinic in an underserved area, functioning as a primary care doc, and then switch to EM exclusively. Would anyone want to hire an EM doc who had been working in primary care for 5 years or so? What if he/she moonlighted in the ER sporadically, throughout those 5 years (to keep skills sharp)?

Any input would be appreciated. I realize it's early for me, haha, but I just learned about combined residencies and think it might be perfect for me (in 4 years).

Members don't see this ad.

The EM/IM programs are sufficiently distinct from each other that it is difficult to set a common goal. Some programs are geared more towards primary care, some more towards EM leadership, critical care, etc. But all of them will provide comprehensive training that will enable your goals. I am not too familiar with FP/EM programs, but I am guessing that they are all more primary care oriented, for practice outside a urban tertiary care center area.

After working in primary care for a number of years, you should probably maintain some EM skills in order to be an effective practitioner. However if you are looking for a rural/suburban EM practice, I anticipate no problems. It might be difficult to get a job in a busy urban ED if you have spent many years in primary care.

You can also do a Family medicine residency, then when you want to do EM exclusively, do an EM fellowship. It helps you get out into the work force earlier, but usually only rural or smaller suburban ERs will hire you.