Fourth Year Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaMags

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what rotations you all would recommend doing as a fourth year applying to pediatrics residencies. I'm planning derm and A/I since I'm interested in that. Should I do another inpatient peds to refresh my memory/learn more/etc.?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hoping to get some more conversation started on this board for us going into peds.

Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

I did a month of PICU as well as developmental, neurology, community peds, and a 2 week cardiology peds rotation. PICU was phenomenal. I highly recommend it. I think it has helped me be a better intern because I was given so much responsibility as a medical student in the PICU.

AnnaMags said:
Just wanted to see what rotations you all would recommend doing as a fourth year applying to pediatrics residencies. I'm planning derm and A/I since I'm interested in that. Should I do another inpatient peds to refresh my memory/learn more/etc.?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hoping to get some more conversation started on this board for us going into peds.

Thanks in advance,

I would recommend a month of inpatient peds... felt like a good stepping stone to internship, as well as a good time to shine and get a letter.

I also did a month in the Peds ER, which was a blast, and gave me lots of experience with non-acute care especially... looked in LOTS of ears!!

Peds radiology and possibly a Peds dermatology would also be helpful...

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed my Pedi Endocrine rotation. It was educational. ALSO, I had to do a surgery rotation as a fourth year and chose Pedi Urology. I think any future pediatrician should rotate through that! You will learn normal infant anatomy, circ stuff, undescended testes, ambiguous genitalia, and enuresis. I'm in a full term nursery now, and I've already used my Urology knowledge countless times. And you WILL deal with circs, check for testes, and treat enuresis.

I think two of the most useful (and chill) electives I did was peds radiology and peds derm. The peds radiology attendings were phenomenol teachers, which obviously made the rotation for me (can't vouch for everywhere for this). As for derm, peds is a lot of derm -- just knowing how to describe a rash will get you far later on.

I found my most useful 4th year electives were derm and ortho, because both are very common in peds, and neither is usually an official part of the curriculum. I did adults and kids for both, which I think was helpful because you see a wider variety of problems that affect both adults and kids. For instance, our pedipods see so much scoliosis and obscure pediatric disorders, that when I did work with them we didn't see a lot of fractures, tendinitis, etc; the sports medicine docs and general orthopods saw many of the kids.