Peds Sub-specialty Audition Rotations During Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgc217

"Let it Be"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone:

US MD grad here (2016). Matched this year in Peds...finally! Woo!

Prepping myself to start PGY-1 in the next month. Excited! I'm thinking long-term, as well. Was just curious as to how audition rotations work in residency? Do they even exist? If so, is there a central application service like VSAS in medical school?

My program allows one away elective in PGY-2 and one away in PGY-3. Currently thinking Peds EM, PICU, or NICU fellowship.

Any info and/or experiences you all have had is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, gang!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone:

US allopathic grad here (2016). Matched this year in Peds...finally! Woo!

Prepping myself to start PGY-1 in the next month. Excited! I'm thinking long-term, as well. Was just curious as to how audition rotations work in residency? Do they even exist? If so, is there a central application service like VSAS in medical school?

My program allows one away elective in PGY-2 and one away in PGY-3. Currently thinking Peds EM, PICU, or NICU fellowship.

Any info and/or experiences you all have had is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, gang!
Don't do an away rotation in an inpatient specialty as a resident. You will be at such a disadvantage from a systems issues, it is very unlikely to benefit you and could hurt you at the program you rotate at.

In general, subspecialty matching is based on home institute letters, Step scores, research projects and how you interview.

Away electives in residency are meant for you to get experience in things your residency can't provide, like medical missions.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never seen or heard of this happening. Since your program no doubt has an ER, NICU, and PICU, I would focus my energy on doing well and making connections with those attendings. That will provide more bang for your buck and you won't have to worry about wowing an attending in an unfamiliar hospital with unfamiliar systems surrounded by residents who all know their way around better than you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do an away rotation in an inpatient specialty as a resident. You will be at such a disadvantage from a systems issues, it is very unlikely to benefit you and could hurt you at the program you rotate at.

In general, subspecialty matching is based on home institute letters, Step scores, research projects and how you interview.

Away electives in residency are meant for you to get experience in things your residency can't provide, like medical missions.

Got it. Thanks :)

I've never seen or heard of this happening. Since your program no doubt has an ER, NICU, and PICU, I would focus my energy on doing well and making connections with those attendings. That will provide more bang for your buck and you won't have to worry about wowing an attending in an unfamiliar hospital with unfamiliar systems surrounded by residents who all know their way around better than you.

It does have those departments.

Sweet. Thanks!

Yep- as long as you have that subspecialty at your institution-- stay there. Don't do aways unless that experience is lacking where you are.

Thanks!

What about aways in specialities that have aspects of the speciality you want to do? Like if want to do PICU fellowship, doing a Peds Anesthesiology and Sedation away rotation (provided your home institution doesn't have Peds Anesthesiology and Sedation)?

Thanks!

What about aways in specialities that have aspects of the speciality you want to do? Like if want to do PICU fellowship, doing a Peds Anesthesiology and Sedation away rotation (provided your home institution doesn't have Peds Anesthesiology and Sedation)?
As a resident, you should not do any audition rotations. Those are for medical students. It will generally only be disadvantageous to you.