fourth and fifth years in the U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Irish schools that allow American students to spend their fourth and fifth years in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad.

chiefy said:
Are there any Irish schools that allow American students to spend their fourth and fifth years in the U.S.?

Are you talking about the Fifth Pathway or transferring?

I have not yet applied to Irish schools, I plan on applying through the Atlantic Bridge Program? What is the Fifth Pathway? No, I would just like to spend three years in Ireland doing my basic sciences, and then do clinicals in the States? Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

I have talked to numerous people in regards to this possibility and it appears that there are no mechanisms in place to do that. The Irish schools have no relationships with USA schools for clinicals. As far as I know there are no plans to do this either.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey

I have talked to numerous people in regards to this possibility and it appears that there are no mechanisms in place to do that. The Irish schools have no relationships with USA schools for clinicals. As far as I know there are no plans to do this either.

The fifth pathway is an opportunity for international medical school students who are American citizens to get certified in the US by doing all of their clinicals through a US medical school.

Who can qualify for a Fifth Pathway?

Only students who:

Graduated from an accredited American college or university;
Studied medicine at a medical school located outside the United States that is listed in World Health Organization's World Directory of Medical Schools and which requires a year or more of internship/social service (beyond the four years of medical school) before receiving a medical degree;
Completed all formal requirements of their foreign medical school except the final year(s) of clinical work/social service.
How are Fifth Pathway students different from International Medical Graduates?

Fifth Pathway students do not graduate from a foreign medical school. They leave early, and complete a final year of medical training in the U.S.
Fifth Pathway students receive no medical diploma from the U.S. medical school sponsoring their Fifth Pathway year of clinical education. They receive a ‘Certificate of Completion,' which is accepted in lieu of a diploma in virtually all U.S. licensing jurisdictions.
The Fifth Pathway certificate is the Fifth Pathway physician's medical credential. Program policy is governed by the AMA, which also serves as the national, primary source credential verification for these physicians.

I found out about it through reading reallyreallyboring certification instructions for the states in which I'm interested in residencies, so it is definitely a legitimate path, albeit very rare. I have no idea if it applies to Irish schools. I do know, however, that you are at a risk of not qualifing for certain residencies (aka being certified in certain states) if you complete the first year internship in another country.

No, you cannot do all or most of your clinicals in the US. You can do a few electives in the summer after 5th med (though you aren't really qualified since Irish core rotations are in the last year vs third year in the States).

Fifth pathway is not possible from Ireland because Irish schools do not require a year of internship/social service before granting a medical degree.

I think Fifth Pathway is now only used by the University of Guadelajara. Maybe some other Latin American schools as well. I've not heard of European or Asian schools using it. Anyway, there is a requirement that in order to graduate from a particular university, you must completely most rotations (especially the core rotations) at that university. So I don't think any medical school in the world except the Caribbean ones allow for completion of the entire last 2 years in the US.

Thanks for the replies. For those interested, along with the Carribbean schools, Sackler in Israel clinical work is taken in the U.S.