Formal vs informal MD/MBA programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this distinction mean much? Stanford does not have a formal MD/MBA program, but it has a good location near the biotech and VC hub of Silicon Valley. It's med and b schools are top notch too. Also ranked highly, Columbia has a formal md/mba program, but what environment is better for a corporate md/mba, NYC or the West? Is the choice between schools clear? I never said I was currently facing that choice though, just wondering, and hoping.

Members don't see this ad.

I rather go to Stanford for all of the reasons you mentioned. As for corporate MD/MBA, it doesn't matter where you go, just as long as you know how to network with the "right" people.

The formal ones seem shorter and better integrated, but in light of the integration I wonder if it may would be a true MBA or a compromised one. I don't know if this is an advantage or disadvantage. Are classes taken with MBA students? How many md/mba students are there in a typical medical school class vs total med students? I would think a strictly md/mba class would be too small. Where I want to live--well I'll just cross that bridge when it comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
flindophile said:
I think most MBA/MD programs are 1 year vs 2 years for the regular MBA program. Thus, an MBA/MD student will get less business training than a regular MBA student.

I am curious - what is the "integration" you expect to see in an MD/MBA program? I doubt that there are enough MB/MBA students in most programs to justify the expense of any special course offerings. Most likely, you will sit in classes in other MBAs where you will be a distinct minority. There is nothing wrong with this but don't be sold a story that the schools do anything special for MDs that. Basically, an MD/MBA is a short version of an MBA. Period.
Just as an example, I cite Harvard's program which initially got me thinking.

Hey,

I'm going to be starting in the MD/MBA program at Harvard this coming fall. Granted, there is sort of an "unknown" to it, given that it's the first year, but at the same time, I think both schools have a good grasp on what they do individually. It's technically a "paper program" today, but I feel like that's mainly because it's not off-the-ground yet. But talks for starting this at Harvard have stretched back several years; it's not something that's being done over night.

I've spent a lot of time speaking with the head of the program, and here's what I can tell you about integration. There will be specific coursework -- classes and seminars -- over the first three years that are geared towards the MD/MBA students, known as the "Health Management Seminar" experiences. There are a ton of MD/MBA faculty members spread out across Harvard's teaching hospitals, and they are recruiting a lot of them to help serve in the program. The two schools are also working together to create a series of summer experiences that allow students to get exposure to both "medicine and management" -- including a hospital rotation focused on health care management.

The other thing that's important to note is the way that the MBA is structured at HBS may be slightly different from other schools. The first year is entirely RC (required curriculum), meaning that all 900 people in the class take the same 5 courses each semester. The second year is entirely EC (elective curriculum), wherein there are probably 900 different schedules that people end up with. Harvard also has some really great faculty at the Business school dealing with healthcare management and related issues who already offer courses and guide fieldwork in these areas; I'm sure within 4-5 years they'll only be expanding.

All that having been said, I agree that MDs probably have a LOT to learn from B-school without additional course offerings. Additionally, there are several paths to an MD/MBA -- (1) an integrated joint program; (2) starting med school, taking time off for b-school at the same institution, and then returning and completing med school; (3) starting med school, taking time off for b-school at a *different* institution, and then returning; or, as is the case for a bunch of MD/MBAs I've shadowed (4) going back and getting an MBA several years out of med school (post-residency). I think all are viable options; the thing that appeals to me about 1-3 is that you have the management training from the onset; the appeal of #4 is that you have experienced the work-place for a significant amount of time and probably have a broader context within which to understand the material presented in b-school. The one caveat is to look into application timing -- Harvard requires you to apply to both schools separately and simultaneously (they're really hoping for 5 years of integration); Tufts makes you apply at the same time, but you can simply apply to the med school and check off the MD-MBA option on the secondary (and write an extra essay); many other schools encourage you to apply during your second or third year of med school.

To the OP -- It's good that you're starting to look into these things early. Best of luck, and feel free to PM me if you have questions! For me, I knew going in to the process that the primary factor was the quality of the medical school (based obviously on my own preferences and biases) because at the end of the day, I want to be a practicing physician (I'm *definitely* planning to do a residency) and my medical training is what I care most strongly about. Depending on what you want to do with your MD/MBA, clearly you need to weigh the pros and cons of each of the options individually when you come to them :)

The main advantage I see to Columbia MBA is its association to Wall Street. It really depends on what you want to do and where you would like to work AFTER you are finished.
Don't forget that there are places where you can obtain an MBA in 1-year completely separate from the MD. Kellogg offers a fast-track MBA for business undergrads and many European schools such as INSEAD are also single year programs. Don't neglect the Euro schools as many have shared alumni networks and exchanges with top US schools.