This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irene Mariam

Reaction score
I'm planning on choosing BSc Forensics as my premed in Canada. Do you think there's any scope for it there in case I don't get into med school? Will a Masters in Forensics help me land a stable job with a stable income?

Members don't see this ad.

You should post in pre med forum. Not help me decide. This is for deciding between acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
Try this page: Forensic Chemist in Canada | Job prospects - Job Bank

I wouldn't trust webpages created by schools offering training in forensic science; they are marketing their product (educational credentials) and might not be the most reliable source of info.

This pre-med board isn't likely to be much better. Stick with projections from government /industry.

Reactions: 2 users
Try this page: Forensic Chemist in Canada | Job prospects - Job Bank

I wouldn't trust webpages created by schools offering training in forensic science; they are marketing their product (educational credentials) and might not be the most reliable source of info.

This pre-med board isn't likely to be much better. Stick with projections from government /industry.
I tried searching online, but no one seems to have a proper answer for this.

This thread wins most interesting/controversial thread of the year

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning on choosing BSc Forensics as my premed in Canada. Do you think there's any scope for it there in case I don't get into med school? Will a Masters in Forensics help me land a stable job with a stable income?
@Irene Mariam ...

1. If you're interested in studying forensics, you could consider a pathway related to something like forensic psychology, forensic law or criminal investigative work in the USA or Canada ... if you are not accepted to a medical school program (e.g., MD program in the USA or Canada).

2. You still need to complete all pre-med prerequisites to be competitive for admission to medical school (MD degree) in the USA or Canada.

3. In connection with forensic medicine, you could consider work with a coroner's office as a forensic pathologist in the USA or Canada.

4. Stability of employment and stability of income is variable and is often dependent on the scope of your employment, credentials, experience, etc. Just saying although I am not a forensic pathologist and I do not live in Canada.

Last edited:
I think the best major to complete to protect against risk of not getting in is computer science. But it’s also risky in that average cGPAs are lower. Finance is an option that is easier but also gives you some options outside of medicine.

I don’t know if this is possible in Canadian uni

@Irene Mariam ...

1. If you're interested in studying forensics, you could consider a pathway related to something like forensic psychology, forensic law or criminal investigative work in the USA or Canada.

2. In connection with forensic medicine, you could consider work with a coroner's office as a forensic pathologist in the USA or Canada.

3. Stability of employment and stability of income is variable and is often dependent on the scope of your employment, credentials, experience, etc. Just saying although I am not a forensic pathologist.
1 defintely presents some good options but keep in mind, most would probably require a doctorate level degree (especially forensic law that involves a serving as an expert witness)

@Irene Mariam ...

1. If you're interested in studying forensics, you could consider a pathway related to something like forensic psychology, forensic law or criminal investigative work in the USA or Canada ... if you are not accepted to a medical school program (e.g., MD program).

2. You need to complete all pre-med prerequisites to be competitive for admission to medical school (MD degree) in the USA or Canada.

3. In connection with forensic medicine, you could consider work with a coroner's office as a forensic pathologist in the USA or Canada.

4. Stability of employment and stability of income is variable and is often dependent on the scope of your employment, credentials, experience, etc. Just saying although I am not a forensic pathologist.
This is an excellent answer and I just wanted to add that there is something called pathologist assistant programs, which would create a good backup plan in case pre-med doesn't work out. Not sure if they exist in Canada.