Foreign veterinary Graduates that did an Internship at US/Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veteriarian

i need:a US+ACVS wife!;-)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
as u know time is money...and i personal, dont have much(Both)..
i was watching VIRMP internships. and i think that for Foreign GRADS is a bit confusing.
Thats why i open this Thread. to Discuss the matter ,to find solutions , and to make a general mini guide for foreign grads that want to do an intenhsip.

here is an example:
a clinic from californiawants an intern.
and it sais that wants only California state license. then i look at the Cal. license website. and i find that there is a temporary license for intrn/resident.Is the temporary available for foreigns/?
then its sais that foreign students have to have pass ecfvg for the permanent license. How much time ecfvg has waitng list?
What about navle?
link

as u see there are alot HAVE TO DO thinks for and foreign grad.
1)should some have passed NAVLE?before the app
2)should some have passed ECVFG?before the app
3)State exam?before the app?

what of these 3 ( IF U HAVE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS POST THEM) should someone have done before he sends an application?Is 1-2 years enough to prepare him self?any Programm?
* i know that some will say Do them all!!! lol .lets find the best and chiper solution here.
as the title sais if a foreign grad has done any internship , PLEASE help us. u can contribute alot.
ty alot

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And another thing is that some institutions, especially universities does not write about state license. Does it really mean that we may be an intern or resident in this institution without having one? Or that they just didn't write it? And also I'm afraid that it's more difficult to become an intern or resident at universities rather than at private practises...

And another thing is that some institutions, especially universities does not write about state license. Does it really mean that we may be an intern or resident in this institution without having one? Or that they just didn't write it? And also I'm afraid that it's more difficult to become an intern or resident at universities rather than at private practises...
they do write i think. and most time the want a license. i just dont get it when it sais payble by the unicercity (or the Private practise). This means that if i dont have they will pay it for me to take the examination IF they pick me? or i should have passed the examination and they will give me pack the money (or not)??

actualy the main question about state license is ( accepteing that all internhsips want it) where should i know where i will be chossen?OR when i am chossen THEN i give exams for the specific state,???if i fail?

am i dumb or actually its so much confusing?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I read at last year internships that we should have license from the begining of the day we start, so I think it means we should take the exams earlier.
Where are you from? I'm from Poland and I'm still working in my country.

I read at last year internships that we should have license from the begining of the day we start, so I think it means we should take the exams earlier.
Where are you from? I'm from Poland and I'm still working in my country.

as i said u dont know where u go. if they want licende before applications is wierd cause u cant have all statese licensees
. only 2 pissibilities are on my mind.
1)choose a state lisence and take the exam (risky)
2)take a state license (where ever) and i think that if u have a licence taken ,u can take a temporary state license for some other states(but idont know witch states are eligible to do that.

Hi guys!

Right now I am getting prepared to apply to and Equine Internship but that was possible after hours of research in different websites and forums about.
As a foreign graduate you CAN apply to an internship BUT you have to search programs that accept foreign and don't require a state license. Usually some Universities accept foreign graduates than Private Hospitals because they can give you a visa to work with them. Some private hospitals could do that too but is very expensive for them and also in some cases they need you to prescribe medications, and as a foreign graduate without validate your career it is impossible. That's why in some cases they ask as a requirement to take the first steps of the ECFVG or the PAVE, but taking anyone of these is really expensive and difficult and can take you several years to finish it, and besides this you have to take the NAVLE. So it is a extremely HARD process.

What I recommend you is to search in all Universities wich internships you like and write to them if the allow foreign graduates apply. I quote the VIRMP page: "It is in the applicant's best interest to contact each institution/private practice to which they intend to apply to determine the examination and licensure requirements."

Here is a page of all USA Veterinary Colleges. http://www.bio.davidson.edu/programs/prevet/schools.html

If you definivitely want to validate your career first you can do it by two ways: The ECFVG or the PAVE, and also you have to determine your monetary position and time because is very expensive and you have to be very dedicated with the study (You have to study your career all over again and in english!) then determine if your University is an AVMA listed veterinary college because with that you will know if you can take the ECFVG (It cost less and is recognized in all 51 states) if your college is listed or the PAVE (Is more expensive and is only recognized in 37 states) if is not.

Here is the link of the AVMA listed veterinary colleges. http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/world_colleges/colleges.asp

Here is the link for the ECFVG http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/ecfvg_pp_steps.asp#step1

And the link for the PAVE
http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/

The Application Eligibility Requirements for taking the NABLE are:
Graduates of schools not accredited by the AVMA who are enrolled in or hold certificates issued by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG), or the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE).
Candidates who are enrolled in ECFVG or PAVE must have completed the Step 3 examination requirement of the respective certification program before they may be approved by a licensing board to take the NAVLE.
Senior students at schools not accredited by the AVMA who are enrolled in the ECFVG or PAVE, and have completed their program's Step 3 examination.
http://www.nbvme.org/?id=78

You should read all these, I know is too much but is the only way you understand the process. I hope it help and if you have any question let me know.

Catalina
Veterinary from Colombia

Reactions: 1 user
as i said u dont know where u go. if they want licende before applications is wierd cause u cant have all statese licensees
. only 2 pissibilities are on my mind.
1)choose a state lisence and take the exam (risky)
2)take a state license (where ever) and i think that if u have a licence taken ,u can take a temporary state license for some other states(but idont know witch states are eligible to do that.

I think you hadnt read well the website of the matching program. http://www.virmp.org/Home/VIRMPInfo

Of course you know where you go. Because you're the one who is putting the options of where would you like to go and the assume yo have read the requirements first. As I said before you should do a research of where would you like to go, see the requirements, write to them and see if the accept foreigns, if they do they will say to you what are the visa requirements (usually that's the only requierement in the programs where accept foreign, that you can be eligible for a specific visa)

After you have done that you options will be short, in my case I will apply only to 5 hospitals (4 Universities ans 1 Private) usually private dont accept foreign without doing the ecfvg-pave because of the legal problems they might have however universities have this covered with work-study visas.

When you decide in which programs you can apply you have to rank them in order of preference being 1 the one you would like yo get accepted the most.

There is no lost here, if you get accepted in a program they will notify you and will tell you what are the next steps you need to do. If you dont get notified they send a mail with the people who didnt match and you have the opotunity to look more programs and see if they can accept you. But as a foreign we are in a difficult position because we are applying in the places we are certain that accept foreign and if you dont match you will have to try next year.

Hi, i graduated in turkey.I have no ecfg or pave.I want to make internship in usa.I especially interested in internal medicine or oncology.Now i have a few questions.please can you help me if you have any idea.
1-is internal medicine or oncology too competitive?which internship programs are less competitive
2-my gpa was 3.63.is it important for foreign?what would be my change if i apply
3-is externship necessary before apply to intership.