"Forbidden" PhD's??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillsmilin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in the MDPhD program at University of Miami (nonMSTP but fully-funded) and I'd enjoy many of the labs in their Chem department. Although Chem wasn't listed on their website as a PhD option for the combined degree, I know many schools offer flexibility; so I called their office, but I was told Chem would not be possible. Should I apply anyways and push for the Chemistry in the interviews, or is there little hope in these situations? Any suggestions/insights into how the funding for depts works and why only certain depts would be approved?

Members don't see this ad.

There's little hope in these situations. Typically because they want to push you into pharm, and you can do very chemistry based theses there. There's often times good reasons for this. Chemistry departments can be so basic science that they're not going to care that you're MD/PhD and that's going to cost you time and headaches.

thanks for the heads-up on the chem depts, though what a bummer . . . does anyone know of schools with chem depts particularly welcoming to MSTPs?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA/Caltech has several people doing their PhD in Chemistry.

I know of a person in the Harvard MD/PhD program doing her PhD in theoretical physical chemistry. Then again, this is more the exception than the rule, and she had to apply to their Chem. Dept. for graduate studies separately from the MD/PhD program (GRE, etc.).

A good many programs, as previous posters have mentioned, have biochemistry/biophysics/pharm programs that can often have you working the chemistry department, and, if not, at least in a chemistry lab as part of something bio-related. At least that's what's happening to me (UPenn) as part of my rotation presently. In the biophysics department here there seems to be a lot of very basic-chemistry research, if tangentially to a more biological theme.

Check out the faculty listing for biochem departments at the schools that you're considering and see what they're up to. You may be pleasantly surprised.

And one more thing... see if any of the chem faculty have co-appointments in departments that the MSTP would let you work in. This is something that's fairly common here, as well. That way you can do pharm/biochem but still work in that person's "home" chemistry lab.

Good luck!

UT-Houston has an agreement with Rice University, and at least one MD/PhD here is getting his degree in bio-engineering at Rice. Rice has a great Chem dept. You might want to look there.

Maybe try to shy away from *labs* that have the reputation for keeping their grad students for an insane amount of time. As for departments, if you're interested in a given field, go for it. The most important thing is to do something you will like (in which case the PhD years will be very rewarding and fun) and to work in a lab where you believe you will learn how to do sound science.

stillsmilin said:
I'm really interested in the MDPhD program at University of Miami (nonMSTP but fully-funded) and I'd enjoy many of the labs in their Chem department. Although Chem wasn't listed on their website as a PhD option for the combined degree, I know many schools offer flexibility; so I called their office, but I was told Chem would not be possible. Should I apply anyways and push for the Chemistry in the interviews, or is there little hope in these situations? Any suggestions/insights into how the funding for depts works and why only certain depts would be approved?
what is your specific interest in chemistry? if it's protein chemisty you might as well apply to pharm. at my institution the pharm dept has several chem faculty members who have joint appointments with the pharm dept. Their research is very hardcore organic and protein chemistry.

in any case the admin committee at miami will question your motive for pursuing your career as a medical scientist if your research interest is just in the area of basic science chemistry since they lack such flexibilty.

yes, we've had a few students do their PhD in chemistry at Michigan as well. no problems...and they got out in 4 years.

The University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign has a fairly large fully-funded (non-MSTP) program with around 10 current students in chemistry. At least one of those students was working with Paul Lauterbur, though I am not sure he is still taking graduate students.