For those with avg MCATs, how many MD IIs/acceptances do you have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I pointed out that I was not critiquing the fact that he asked if he was URM, veteran, etc. After the poster added that he was URM, I felt that's where it should have ended. So I shared my opinion.

Again, there's at least one other poster with similar stats that ORM and nobody is commenting qualifying their successful cycle. I didn't see anyone harp on saying they're giving the wrong message to other ORMs. They read it and kept scrolling.

It just seems on this site, when it comes to URMs, it can never be just congrats. For us, it's always congrats, but . . . Every single mention of URM doesn't warrant a statement about how much easier it may have been.

That's all.
I definitely agree with what you're saying, except for the last sentence. I don't think anyone was implying "oh it's so much easier why are you even in this thread", just that sometimes there are factors that complicate the issue of high MCAT = success. But you're right, not every mention of a low MCAT and a med school acceptance automatically needs to be accosted with "but you're URM, right?"

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely agree with what you're saying, except for the last sentence. I don't think anyone was implying "oh it's so much easier why are you even in this thread", just that sometimes there are factors that complicate the issue of high MCAT = success. But you're right, not every mention of a low MCAT and a med school acceptance automatically needs to be accosted with "but you're URM, right?"

I don't think anyone was implying that either.

Lol, you literally just agreed with the last sentence (unless you were referring to when I said, "That's all.") :) You get my point. Thank you.

511 & 3.8 GPA + non-US citizen & no green card & non-URM + non-trad (PM me for details)

16 IIs
5 acceptances, 1 rejection, 4 waitlists, withdrew from 3 post-interview, did not attend 3

Matriculating at a top 3 medical school! MCAT isn't everything. If you can bring something unique to the table, aim high and shoot for the stars.

I'm over here thinking I killed the game with 5 and here you are with 16 lol. Congrats and best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
for ones whith average mcat but many IIs, can you please specify whatever you saw as the strength of your app? Like I know that someone with an average app across the board would not have 10+ IIs.

for ones whith average mcat but many IIs, can you please specify whatever you saw as the strength of your app? Like I know that someone with an average app across the board would not have 10+ IIs.
I had a sub-500 MCAT, applied to 8 schools, 5 II but my highlight was my PS and AMCAS app. The interviewer where I got accepted told me it made her cry

Reactions: 6 users
511 MCAT, lowish-average GPA. 11 MDs applied, 2 MD II, 1 waitlist, 1 acceptance.

People always looking for something to get triggered about... smh

I got a 30 MCAT (with a low verbal) and received 8 interviews (7 MD, 1 DO). I received 4 acceptances (one of them to my top choice) and subsequently declined the other interview offers.

GPA is 3.8, gap year doing research, lots of volunteer exp, spent a lot of time working on essays.

ORM.

MCAT in the range you listed. 21 II. Attended 19 and offered aceptance at 12. You're more than just your numbers! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
507 MCAT 12 II. PM if you would like to know schools. There is much more to an app than MCAT, even though I would not recommend going much lower than my score unless you have other factors in your app (URM, Military Service, Olympian, etc)
Would love to know your school list

I would say it's average enough in that it's not really stand out. Moderately average.

I get what you're saying but it's still a decent bit above average... 514 is a fantastic score. Hell, it even brushes the 10% at most of the top schools in the country and above 90% in some state schools.

Average is ~508-510 (30-31). I think you're too smart to be in this thread ;)

Reactions: 1 users
almost 20% of matriculants have only one interview and almost half of all matriculants have a single acceptance.

y'all put average in the title with your 3.8/3.9 GPAs, 510/512 MCAT and 10 II

089d6b729b2cedf8ccabafd386f14f8a--the-kid-eyes.jpg

(y'all ain't avg, y'all ballers)

Reactions: 11 users
I had a 511 MCAT with my lowest section being 125 in CARS.

I attended 16 interviews and was accepted to 9. I was offered some more interviews than those attended (about 3ish) but decided not to attend.

Accepted to HMS, UCSF, Case Western, OHSU, Georgetown, UNRSOM, UNLV, Albany and NYMC.

Waitlisted at Mayo, WashU, CCLCM, USC, Yale, NYU, and GW.

Reactions: 2 users
My MCAT was right around 500, applied to 2 MD schools (I really didn't believe I'd get any interviews to MD schools but applied to my top choice anyway), 1 interview, 1 acceptance. It's possible.

Oh and I'm not URM lol
dreams do come true

My MCAT was right around 500, applied to 2 MD schools (I really didn't believe I'd get any interviews to MD schools but applied to my top choice anyway), 1 interview, 1 acceptance. It's possible.

Oh and I'm not URM lol

There it is. Giving hope to the people.

510 MCAT, balanced. Attend 7 MD II, 3 WL, 3 Pending decisions and 1 acceptance.

ORM if that's important

508 mcat unbalanced (124 psych & soc)
10 II, Attended 7, 1 acceptance, 4WL, 1 rejection, 1 decision pending (1 withdrew post interview)

I ended up having the most luck at schools that heavily utilized holistic review.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

510 MCAT, balanced. Attend 7 MD II,

508 mcat unbalanced (124 psych & soc)
10 II

Okay, srlsly. What am I missing? Secret code in the title? Invisible Ink? Gunner mating call?

For those with avg MCATs and a ridiculously high number of IIs, how many MD IIs/acceptances do you have?

Okay, srlsly. What am I missing? Secret code in the title? Invisible Ink? Gunner mating call?

For those with avg MCATs and a ridiculously high number of IIs, how many MD IIs/acceptances do you have?

I think the secret is being a normal person. My hobbies include drinking beer and watching sports.

12 MD II/7 acceptances (attended 7 interviews)

I think the secret is being a normal person. My hobbies include drinking beer and watching sports.

Shhhhh, don't tell the people. Section kid from orgo might try to bring his problem set to the next pregame.

My confusion was actually about how so many exceptional applicants ended up in a thread about average applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
510 MCAT. 9 II (4 MD, 5 DO). Accepted to 4 out of the 5 DO programs so far. Rejected from 1 MD and waiting to hear from the other 3.

I'm a 3.7 student

3.7 is above average. SDN is valuable for many things, but with numbers, looking at the AAMC data is probably always going to be best. SDN is a small sample size and I hear you on sometimes feeling as though the only people applying/matriculating are 4.0/520.

That's why I pounced on this thread. I clicked on something with average in the title and low and behold it's filled with person after person with 10+ IIs. That's ridiculously above average. Classic sdn, sure, but also not particularly useful for the actual average applicants looking to get a realistic sense of what their application cycle might look like.

I had a 511 MCAT with my lowest section being 125 in CARS.

I attended 16 interviews and was accepted to 9. I was offered some more interviews than those attended (about 3ish) but decided not to attend.

Accepted to HMS, UCSF, Case Western, OHSU, Georgetown, UNRSOM, UNLV, Albany and NYMC.

Waitlisted at Mayo, WashU, CCLCM, USC, Yale, NYU, and GW.

What was your gpa,and are you URM?
Congrats, man :)

12 MD II/7 acceptances (attended 7 interviews)
Did we just become best friends?

To add a dose of reality to this thread: 512 MCAT, 3.7 GPA. 2 MD II --> 2 MD waitlists, 0 acceptances. Non-urm, good research and ECs and I applied broadly. There's definitely some self selection bias here. Not everyone with an "average" MCAT gets 10+ IIs.

Reactions: 9 users

Describing the 79-88th percentile range as "average" definitely brings out a certain kind of person.

Reactions: 3 users
What was your gpa,and are you URM?
Congrats, man :)

Yeah, totally URM haha; but I'm from a poor background also so I say it was my story that allowed me to get some decent acceptances. Personally, if I was part of a admissions committee I would look more towards socioeconomic status vs ethnicity.

I was able to pull a 4.0 - and that's pure effort. I'm not a genius by any means.

Reactions: 3 users
507 MCAT: 0 MD 3 DO
Class of 2021
SMD if you hating
Smoke weed everyday

I agree that the majority of responses aren't fully representative of the population, but the OP specifically wanted to know about MCAT around 508-512ish, which is closer to the matriculant average, as opposed to the applicant average that is closer to 500. That being said, I know of many students with similar or higher stats than mine who didn't have as many interviews or acceptances. I do stand by what I said, about our being more than just our numbers though. Similarly to what Jonny13 mentioned, I also think it was my story that helped to set me apart. So I think it's important to not forget about the importance of your personal statement and all of the EC's and life experiences that make you unique! ^_^

Reactions: 5 users
I do stand by what I said, about our being more than just our numbers though. Similarly to what Jonny13 mentioned, I also think it was my story that helped to set me apart. So I think it's important to not forget about the importance of your personal statement and all of the EC's and life experiences that make you unique!

Agree 100%. Numbers will only get you to the door, not through it. No school is likely to give all that much weight to a 3.7 vs 3.8, 3.9. Look at schools' ranges. Look at the AAMC data. Given that sdn is such a small sample size, you will never be able to get an accurate idea of applicant/matriculant statistics from sdn, but the AAMC publishes this. This is what people should be looking at with regards to numbers.

Acceptance Percentages by MCAT/GPA: https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf
Average Applicant/Matriculant MCAT/GPA: https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf

I agree that the majority of responses aren't fully representative of the population, but the OP specifically wanted to know about MCAT around 508-512ish, which is closer to the matriculant average, as opposed to the applicant average that is closer to 500. That being said, I know of many students with similar or higher stats than mine who didn't have as many interviews or acceptances.

This might have been in reference to something else, but if you look back at my posts, I was commenting on the extraordinary number of IIs people are commenting with. You are spot on about 508 being the average MCAT of matriculants (see table above) with 3.7 being the average GPA.

BUT, almost 50% of matriculants receive just one acceptance, and 20% of matriculants receive this single acceptance from their single II.

Stats are one necessary piece of the puzzle but will not get you anywhere without everything else. Stories like yours highlight this, but it is still surprising to see a thread with average in the title and then ballers like you with maybe the most successful cycle I have ever heard of (congrats by the way– truly incredible!!).

Reactions: 5 users
Unbalanced 508, with a 124 in physical science. 4 Interviews, 3 Waitlists, 2 acceptances (got off a waitlist today!).

Reactions: 7 users
I think it's important to recognize that you can't LizzyM a personal statement. AdComs have noted that they considered the PS as important as GPA/MCAT. I actually was told that my PS was the main reason I was admitted at a school. PS and EC's (as well as a healthy dose of luck) may be the reason some average scorers tend to get more II's

Reactions: 4 users
I think it's important to recognize that you can't LizzyM a personal statement. AdComs have noted that they considered the PS as important as GPA/MCAT. I actually was told that my PS was the main reason I was admitted at a school. PS and EC's (as well as a healthy dose of luck) may be the reason some average scorers tend to get more II's

Personally, I received many comments about my PS and LOR while on the interview trail as well. So I can attest to this!

MCAT: 510 (previous 27)
GPA: 3.5
5 MD--> 2 Acceptances, 2 Waitlists, 1 Rejection (damn you Duke).
2DO--> 1 Acceptance, 1 Withdrawal
ORM if it matters.

510 mcat, 3.9+ gpa. 19 apps, 7 interviews including Harvard & Stanford, 1 acceptance, 5 alt list

Last edited:
28 MCAT, 11 IIs (8 MD, 3 DO). Pre-med and test prep advisors told me not to apply lol.. some schools will see your app primarily as an MCAT score and GPA, but I feel the majority evaluate you holistically (thankful for that!!)

Extremely unbalanced 512 & 3.9 GPA.

7 II
So far: 4 acceptances, 1 rejection, 2 waitlists.

CA Resident, so odds were against me in that sense. (no state school II's)

Very grateful for how things have turned out.

Congrats for your acceptances!! I have similar stats, and I was wondering if you could tell me what schools you were accepted to? Thank you so much!!

MCAT was 504. Applied to 21 schools, 7II, 4 acceptances, 3 WL.