For those going to UTHSCSA or UTMB . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long after you were interviewed did it take for you to find out that you were accepted??

Members don't see this ad.

I am not exactly going to UTHSCSA or UTMB, but I have some info :)

I called about a week and a half after my interview at UTHSCSA and was told I was wait-listed, and got my wait-list letter in the mail this week. But, I was not impressed with their application process at all, so that is fine.

And for UTMB: I interviewed in December. They told us at our interview that we would know about the 1st or 2nd week of February. I called last week to find out, because I had to notify another school whether or not I would accept their acceptance invitation by a certain date, and UTMB told me that nobody would be notified until the first or second week of February. So I guess that's when they'll notify.

Hope this helps :)

it does help, thanks. I just got my waitlisted letter a few days ago from UTHSCSA, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a waitlist letter from UTMB today. I can only hold my breath now.

Please forgive my jumping into this thread, but it was one of the few I found on UTMB.

I'm a part of a fraternity on campus that has some great housing options and is a great place to start for building community.

Here is a link to our website:

http://www.thetakappapsi.com/

Thanks, and best of luck with interviews, etc.

[email protected]

I got an alternate e-mail from UTMB yesterday as well. I called earlier today and the lady I talked to told me I was a little ahead of halfway on the list. I don't know how to feel about that...I should have asked her what are the chances of at least half of the list getting a call. I also wish I knew how long the alternate list is...I guess I have to wait now.

I got an alternate e-mail from UTMB yesterday as well. I called earlier today and the lady I talked to told me I was a little ahead of halfway on the list. I don't know how to feel about that...I should have asked her what are the chances of at least half of the list getting a call. I also wish I knew how long the alternate list is...I guess I have to wait now.

I got the alternate email too and wish I had the nerve to call and ask where I was on the list, but my email had this at the bottom:
"PS: We do not give out where you are on the alternate list."
Was that on your letter, or was that their special way of telling me "don't contact us. We'll contact you."?

I got the alternate email too and wish I had the nerve to call and ask where I was on the list, but my email had this at the bottom:
"PS: We do not give out where you are on the alternate list."
Was that on your letter, or was that their special way of telling me "don't contact us. We'll contact you."?
That was on my letter too...but I thought I would call anyway. I didn't straight out ask where on the list I was located. Just asked her if my chances of getting a call, based on my position on the list, were high.

I interviewed on Tuesday Jan. 4th, and received a call the following Monday notifying my acceptance.

I don't want to seem biased, but I absolutely love UTHSCSA. And this is mostly due to the fact that the faculty and students really promote a supportive environment, plus they really look out for you and prepare you well for the PT world. I know that they pay for prep courses the semester you graduate to ensure preparedness for the licensure exam. After careful consideration between the Texas schools for the past few years as the President of the PT Society at my college, UTHSCSA was just the best option, for me at least (especially after having the schools come in and give presentations about their programs). I declined my acceptance to UTMB purely because there's really nothing special about the location (I grew up around that area as a local).

However, PT school is PT school no matter what. It's what you make out of it. So pretty much bottom line is, just get accepted! :)

Good luck to everyone!

jacqs,

how was the application process to UTHSCSA?? i was thinking about applying there once i ETS from the army, if i cant get into the US Army Baylor program. any real hold ups or tricky parts to the application process? i looked into it and it seems like a good program but i was surprised that they said they have no disertation or big research presentation (at least last time i read about it)

oh, and what were your stats when u applied? i just want to see if ill be competitive enough and have a chance of getting an interview/acceptance

jacqs,

how was the application process to UTHSCSA?? i was thinking about applying there once i ETS from the army, if i cant get into the US Army Baylor program. any real hold ups or tricky parts to the application process? i looked into it and it seems like a good program but i was surprised that they said they have no disertation or big research presentation (at least last time i read about it)

They have their own application forms so no PTCAS. I have a few friends who got into a little trouble with the registrar (materials that didn't get in, classes they wont accept, etc.). Since I go to school nearby I submitted my all of my materials in person at the registrars office, and this made it sure that they got everything (I also called to follow up). I got a letter mid December saying I got invited to interview. Fast forward a month later I did an interview, then I got a call a few days later saying I got accepted. The interview was awesome. They really wanted to know us, therefore the process was about half a day. DPT 1 students actually invited us the night before the interview and did a Q&A session followed by a dinner meet and greet. Message me for more details! One thing I did hear though is that they do research with Army-Baylor concerning lower back pain. I don't know about dissertations, but I know for sure the students do research.

Here are my stats:

University: University of Texas San Antonio
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: V:480; Q:760; W:5
Volunteer: 500+ hours - Mostly home health, acute, neurologic, geriatric, pediatric settings (also worked at home health agency as an admin assistant), with 20 hours ortho just for kicks
Extra-curricular: Honors College member, Research at UTHSCSA with PT Department concerning intervention studies for older adults, 4th year active member of UTSA Physical Therapy Society (President during Junior Year), 300+ community service hours (mostly done with PT Society), Filipino Students' Association, FTK Dance Marathon...

Acceptances: Texas Woman's University, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

My gpa is okay, but I was heavily involved everywhere, and I've been interested in PT since junior high. I think those were my strong points. Message me if you need anything else!

My stats
3.7 gpa science/ math
3.7 overall
300+ hours, perdiatrics, orthopedics, in/ patient and outpatient rehab, sport medicine

- A member of several kinesiology associations
- 200 volunteer hours at a hospital (just because)
- Student nutrition association at my university
- human health association at my university

I worry about not being accepted because I have not completed all prereqs. Although they say that will not affect my likelihood as long as they are completed before entering their program, I'm afraid it will.

OPINIONS please!! They're greatly appreciated

My stats
3.7 gpa science/ math
3.7 overall
300+ hours, perdiatrics, orthopedics, in/ patient and outpatient rehab, sport medicine

- A member of several kinesiology associations
- 200 volunteer hours at a hospital (just because)
- Student nutrition association at my university
- human health association at my university

I worry about not being accepted because I have not completed all prereqs. Although they say that will not affect my likelihood as long as they are completed before entering their program, I'm afraid it will.

OPINIONS please!! They're greatly appreciated

It sounds like we are in the same boat. Our stats are very similar. Have you gone to any interviews yet?

I am not exactly going to UTHSCSA or UTMB, but I have some info :)

I called about a week and a half after my interview at UTHSCSA and was told I was wait-listed, and got my wait-list letter in the mail this week. But, I was not impressed with their application process at all, so that is fine.

And for UTMB: I interviewed in December. They told us at our interview that we would know about the 1st or 2nd week of February. I called last week to find out, because I had to notify another school whether or not I would accept their acceptance invitation by a certain date, and UTMB told me that nobody would be notified until the first or second week of February. So I guess that's when they'll notify.

Hope this helps :)
May I ask what your GPA stats were?