For priors-service doing HPSP or USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The short answer is no. Indianapolis has not figured out how to pay basic pay at the higher level for prior-service HPSP/USUHS students because they are still on their rolls as a 2LT or Ensign. So, since there are not a lot of people in this category, they may just be ignoring it.

That sounds like the DFAS way of doing things.

Members don't see this ad.

I know according to the NDAA from last year, you're paid at your last rank and years of service (YOS).

Does that include years spent in the active reserves (in which your YOS is advanced just the same as if you were active duty, provided you complete a 'qualifying year' of service)?

For instance, I spend 4 years on active duty then 3 more in the active reserves. Thus my YOS is currently set to 7 (whenever I go on my short stints of active duty, I get paid as an O-3 >6).

So at USUHS, would my base pay be O-3 >6 , or O-3 >4 ? (in reading the NDAA, sounds like the latter would be the case. The verbage seems to indicate only time spent on actual active duty counts. But if they're keeping tabs on all of this by the YOS ticker, then the former should be the case)

Anybody know?

Thanks

I know according to the NDAA from last year, you're paid at your last rank and years of service (YOS).

Does that include years spent in the active reserves (in which your YOS is advanced just the same as if you were active duty, provided you complete a 'qualifying year' of service)?

For instance, I spend 4 years on active duty then 3 more in the active reserves. Thus my YOS is currently set to 7 (whenever I go on my short stints of active duty, I get paid as an O-3 >6).

So at USUHS, would my base pay be O-3 >6 , or O-3 >4 ? (in reading the NDAA, sounds like the latter would be the case. The verbage seems to indicate only time spent on actual active duty counts. But if they're keeping tabs on all of this by the YOS ticker, then the former should be the case)

Anybody know?

Thanks

Yes. Your highest rank and yrs of service in active or reserve/national guard. So you would be O3 over 6. My combined active duty and active status is now properly reflected on amended orders.

Now, getting DFAS to figure out how to pay people is another problem. The problem is that HPSP/USUHS were put into the pay system as O1s. So to pay us at higher rank without promotino orders causes them profound befuddlement. They won't act on it unless someone is standing on their head -- such is the way of the government, and people want to expand it to "fix" the economy, but that's a discussion for another day.

In short, if people call Congress, DFAS will eventually get it done. The fix is simple, they simply send us a check for the difference and calculate the deductions just like any other small business meeting payroll.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Your highest rank and yrs of service in active or reserve/national guard. So you would be O3 over 6. My combined active duty and active status is now properly reflected on amended orders.

Now, getting DFAS to figure out how to pay people is another problem. The problem is that HPSP/USUHS were put into the pay system as O1s. So to pay us at higher rank without promotino orders causes them profound befuddlement. They won't act on it unless someone is standing on their head -- such is the way of the government, and people want to expand it to "fix" the economy, but that's a discussion for another day.

In short, if people call Congress, DFAS will eventually get it done. The fix is simple, they simply send us a check for the difference and calculate the deductions just like any other small business meeting payroll.

Sweet. Ok thanks. It seems the USUHS students had an easier time in getting the fix. Maybe that's b/c they're full-time AD.

Sweet. Ok thanks. It seems the USUHS students had an easier time in getting the fix. Maybe that's b/c they're full-time AD.

Did USUHS prior service get BAH at their prior service rank as well? Apparently the HPSP were only to get base pay and BAH at 2LT rate. Consequently, trying to pay someone as a CPT then only BAH as a 2LT caused malignant hypertension in DFAS. But this info is second hand through the HPSP office.

Did USUHS prior service get BAH at their prior service rank as well? Apparently the HPSP were only to get base pay and BAH at 2LT rate. Consequently, trying to pay someone as a CPT then only BAH as a 2LT caused malignant hypertension in DFAS. But this info is second hand through the HPSP office.

Yes, that's right. Base pay at last rank and YOS, BAH at O-1.

I'm not sure what kind of paperwork they had to submit to get it done. I'd imagine a DD214, or an old LES, or a point caputre would suffice.

Maybe someone currently at USUHS can log on and tell us about it.

Just got my ADT orders this week. Written in them is a line saying something to the effect "Authorized basic pay rate of 0-3 with 4 years up sec 523B, NDAA 2008"

Looks like the army took care of me without a bunch of phone calls this time. Not too shabby.

On the flip side, the top of the orders say that I am a 2LT...which I guess I am now due to HPSP, oh well as long as I get the increased pay I will gladly do without the rank on my chest.

Just got my ADT orders this week. Written in them is a line saying something to the effect "Authorized basic pay rate of 0-3 with 4 years up sec 523B, NDAA 2008"

Looks like the army took care of me without a bunch of phone calls this time. Not too shabby.

On the flip side, the top of the orders say that I am a 2LT...which I guess I am now due to HPSP, oh well as long as I get the increased pay I will gladly do without the rank on my chest.

They (DFAS) has yet to pay at the correct rate for my prior ADT. You should have more years of service. DFAS is having issues paying base pay at a higher rate than BAH; the latter remains at O1 level. When you start, check your LES. Hopefully it will be fized by then.

USUHS told me they have fixed the problem. Any verification from USUHS out there?

Just got my ADT orders this week. Written in them is a line saying something to the effect "Authorized basic pay rate of 0-3 with 4 years up sec 523B, NDAA 2008".

Shouldn't it be "sec 524, NDAA 2008"? Does your order specify follow-on movement to USU? But good news nevertheless, and early at that.

The Navy guy says that Navy orders and commssioning docs will be prepared only AFTER receiving USU final attendance roster around May 15 (something to do with AMCAS rule on seat release).

USUHS told me they have fixed the problem. Any verification from USUHS out there?

My LES has pay for an O1 over 6, O1 BAH, BAS, and a "save pay" item for the delta between O3 over 6 and O1 over 6.

There was a movement afoot to get O3 (or whatever) BAH, but that recently got squished by DFAS. The students are going to the barricades, but I'm not really involved in the resistance movement. I'm just getting ready to graduate and got bigger fish to fry.

-deegs
USU 2009

Yes, that's right. Base pay at last rank and YOS, BAH at O-1.

I'm not sure what kind of paperwork they had to submit to get it done. I'd imagine a DD214, or an old LES, or a point caputre would suffice.

The LES has two items of interest affecting pay. Item 8: Pay Entry Base Date (PEBD), the first day of military service (active or reserve), is used to count years of service (YOS) for pay purposes. So YOS includes both active and reserve time.

Item 66, Armed forces active duty base date (AFADBD). Add 20yrs to AFADBD and that's when you are eligible for retirement pension. AFADBD is a reconstructed date showing how much "active duty" time you have altogether. For example, add up all the two weeks summer training/weekend drill as an active reserve, plus any active service, and that's your AFADBD.

As long as DFAS has the correct PEBD and AFADBD, we are good on pay.

Last edited:
USUHS seems to be doing the prior-service pay correctly -- thanks to the Army NCO there. HPSP is still in the wilderness on how to correct it.

As another word of warning. My PCS orders showed no prior service, and my new PEBD was to be my start date. So, I had to send in correction to HRC, which is now fixing it. The difference between O3 less than 2 and O3 over 10 is not insignificant.

Shouldn't it be "sec 524, NDAA 2008"? Does your order specify follow-on movement to USU? But good news nevertheless, and early at that.

The Navy guy says that Navy orders and commssioning docs will be prepared only AFTER receiving USU final attendance roster around May 15 (something to do with AMCAS rule on seat release).

You are probably right, may be a typo on my orders...or I typed it in wrong when I posted. Either way, they specifically say that I am authorized O3 pay.

I passed on attending USU last year and went with HPSP to a civilian school instead, I will be performing my ADT this summer.

Last edited:
You are probably right, may be a typo on my orders...or I typed it in wrong when I posted. Either way, they specifically say that I am authorized O3 pay.

I passed on attending USU last year and went with HPSP to a civilian school instead, I will be performing my ADT this summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, so now HPSP students will get previous rank and YOS basic pay, and O-1 BAH. So can anyone tell me where the BAH zip code is calculated during your ADT?

Correct me if I'm wrong, so now HPSP students will get previous rank and YOS basic pay, and O-1 BAH. So can anyone tell me where the BAH zip code is calculated during your ADT?
Your BAH will be based on wherever you go to school (i.e. Chicago HPSP students will get Chicago BAH on ADTs and so on).

Here's an interesting case. I'm going to USUHS this fall, and have a line number to O-4 for September 1. I assume the date on my orders to decommission to an O-1 will be in August sometime ... but is so close to a $1200 a month difference. I also hit 12 years active duty service on 1 September. I'm not complaining, because keeping my salary is a good deal, but I have ask since it is so close ... is there anyway to receive the pay for the rank I've earned or does that line number to Major disappear? Thanks.

Here's an interesting case. I'm going to USUHS this fall, and have a line number to O-4 for September 1. I assume the date on my orders to decommission to an O-1 will be in August sometime ... but is so close to a $1200 a month difference. I also hit 12 years active duty service on 1 September. I'm not complaining, because keeping my salary is a good deal, but I have ask since it is so close ... is there anyway to receive the pay for the rank I've earned or does that line number to Major disappear? Thanks.

Poof! all gone. sorry, brother. that's not how the regs are written. that line number is for a different branch entirely, and you'll be resigning your commission in that branch as an O-3. you'll be paid as an O-3 over 10 for your 4 years at USU, then you should put on O-4 a few days after graduation. They could make an exception in your case, but I've seen them deny the "E" pay scale for a single day multiple times.

Is anyone else with prior active duty time still having pay issues during their ADT, specifically are you getting paid at your previous rank, or at O-1?

Bringing this out again, too. Didn't want to start a new thread...

Would have prior service before HPSP or USUHS (USUHS being preferred over HPSP); by the time I apply I would have completed 2 year HSCP with 3 year ADSO and have 5 year inactive reserve requirement yet to complete. Could I apply and be accepted to USUHS or HPSP even though I would have a 5 year inactive reserve commitment yet? If so, when would this be accounted for? I understand it is 8 years total, so either 3 year AD and 5 year inactive reserve, or any combination consisting of 3+ year AD. So Would my previous 5 year inactive reserve commitment be served concurrently/substituted with fulfilling the ADSO for USUHS/HPSP?