For NSUCOM 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are coming to NSU for the the class of 2003, congratulation. You have make a very good choice.

During your first semester, you need to buy medical equipment such as stethoscope, sphygmomanometers, ootoscope and the opthalmoscope. Last semester, one of the school clubs arranged the Welch Allyn saleman to come to the school. The sale representative gave us a very good price. So if you current don't own any of them, wait until school start.

However, if your parents want to give you something for your medical school, those are the equipment that you willo need.

Members don't see this ad.

Henry or anyone interested in NSU
I don't know if you will be able to answer this question or not, but you have been very helpful to me, so I am going to ask my question anyway.
Here's the situation. I have started volunteering at a hospital, but it is almost impossible to get to know any of the doctors. I have talked to the volunteer coordinator to see if I could possible set up a situation where I could shadow a physician outside of my regular volunteer time so that the physician can get to know me and eventually write a rec. for me, but she said that the doctors are very busy and don't have time for undergrad students. Then I tried to call Nova to see if maybe they had some DO in the Coral Gables area that would be willing to have me shadow them, but I was transferred to about 5 different people and eventually I ended up just leaving a message on someone's answering machine today. I heard from someone that Nova is usually very helpful with trying to get undergrad in touch with their alumni. So the trick is to find the right people to talk to and find some connection. Got any hints, names or number I can call to get more direct help and possible land me with a rec?(By the way, I am attending University of Miami, but I am not a resident of Florida. I am from Nevada.) Thanks, Mai

[This message has been edited by Mai (edited 02-10-99).]

To Mai,
I used to volunteer for an ophthalmologist (MD) in Miracle Mile (coral gables) and sometimes I'd run errands to the floor directly below where a DO had his private practice. I can't remember his name but he seemed very friendly. You can call the secretary at the ophthalmologist's office and she'll give you the number of the DO downstairs (hopefully he's still there).
Sanford Rakofsky, MD
401 Miracle Mile #301
Coral Gables, FL
305-442-9020
P.S. My first two years of college was spent at UM, then I transferred to FIU because I wasn't learning anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I empathize with your situation. For every five letters I sent, (followed up by phone calls), to D.O.s in my area I MIGHT have received 1 response that was not always positive. I finally contacted a D.O. that my father's M.D. promary care physician was friends with and was able set up several shadowing sessions with him. If you aren't aware, the AMA has an on-line physician finder at:

http://www.ama-assn.org/aps/amahg.htm

You can find physicians, both D.O. and M.D. in your area by specialty. Try searching by family practice first and you will probably come up with several D.O.s.

I shadowed 2 orthopedic physicians (one no longer did surgery) at Barnes Hospital (St. Louis). All I did was call up the ortho department, tell them that I wanted to shadow a physicians, and asked them who I should contact. If this fails, contact the physician directly and ask him or her if they're willing.

Regarding your question, i will try to find out who can you get contact with. However, I have personally shadow a DO Orthopaedic Surgeon during the Christmas break. He seems to be very nice. You ca call his office and ask for whether he allow you to shadow him. Here is the information.

Dr. Scott D. Kazdan
Tel: 954-739-4420

Unfortunately, he doestn't practice OMT in his practice. But you can start with him and hopefully, he will see you and let you in. Let me know if you do get to shadow him.

Good luck

There is a staff in NSU that is in charge of our IGC program. She has lots of connection to many physicians because she make our shadowing schedule.

Her name is Debra Cohn Steinkohl.
Office #: 954-262-1441 or 1411
Fax: 954-262-4773

Tell her that you are interested to shadow a DO and discuss about your interest. She can help you

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 02-19-99).]

Thanks everyone for all the info. Mai

[This message has been edited by Mai (edited 02-16-99).]