LECOM vs. NSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LECOM vs. NSUCOM

• LECOM

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • NSUCOM

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters

Dr. Gregory House

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have about these two schools. I've been accepted to both and just want to gather as much information as possible before making an informed final decision. Of particular interest to me is the quality of rotations and ability to explore different areas of medicine. Any info related to board prep, daily routine, etc is also welcome.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you mean LECOM Erie.. if so, you can't go wrong either way, but I know several DOs who are LECOM grads that went onto residencies at Penn State, Temple, Pitt, etc. even in the more "difficult" to get residencies like surgery. I feel like a LECOM grad can get anything they want, at least regionally (PA, Ohio, NY) if they perform well there.

NOVA is a great school too though and I'm sure they also place well. If you meant LECOM B, I would 1000% pick NOVA. If you meant LECOM Erie v NOVA, you can't go wrong. Money and location then come into play.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I meant LECOM-Erie.

That is where I'm at with this....what am I gaining for an extra $100k to $200k (cost of attendence) at Nova? If it is strictly a beach location versus Western PA, that's one thing. However, I'm willing to pay up if the opportunities are just that much greater at Nova.

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have about these two schools. I've been accepted to both and just want to gather as much information as possible before making an informed final decision. Of particular interest to me is the quality of rotations and ability to explore different areas of medicine. Any info related to board prep, daily routine, etc is also welcome.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.

If you have any interest in FL residencies I'd go to NSU. If not, roll with the cheaper school. In the end its your decision!

Thank you all for your input. Today I'm thinking about working in the Midwest...STL or CHI. However, that could always change. My view on the residencies is to go where I need to go in order to get the best training possible in whatever area of medicine I end up pursuing. Is there an advantage to FL residencies? And if so, is a FL school a necessary prerequisite of sorts?

Is there an advantage to FL residencies? And if so, is a FL school a necessary prerequisite of sorts?

Focus on going where you want to eventually practice. NSU has a couple rotations in New York but if you want to practice in the midwest you will likely need do some aways in the area. That means you need a school that lets you set your own schedule. NSU has a required rural rotation in fourth year while LECOM lets you make set up your own schedule.

There is absolutely no reason to go to a medical school or residency in the state where you want to eventually practice. When you are sitting in the doctor's lounge having lunch at your hospital you will find out that practically no one went to school nearby. Choose a place where you will be most comfortable. If money is a big issue, then go to the cheapest school. If tou hate lectures, then go to a PBL school. If you feel high and mighty and won't be comfortable any place other than a big academic giant, then go there. You will get a pretty good education no matter where you go if you put your mind to it. Worry about practicing when the time comes.

Reactions: 3 users