For anyone who wants to read my pre-dental story (low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinbe13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone--

I am currently pursuing a journey to dental school that I'm not sure is even attainable. I'm not necessarily trying to ask if I stand a chance of acceptance--alot of people are backing me up and encouraging me--I just want to know if anybody thinks I'm crazy :). So here we go:

I am a 29 year old female. I have a Biology degree undergrad--2.5 overall, not sure of my sGPA. My master's is in Cell Biology, 3.5 GPA. In undergrad, I worked full time throughout undergrad as an ER Tech and with a psychology practice. My explanation for my grades in undergrad is immaturity, priorities not in line, excessive partying, poor time management, and inappropriate studying skills. Went to graduate school and really turned my game around--started making As and Bs in graduate level histology and immunology. I also worked full time AT NIGHT as a CNA on a medsurge floor all throughout grad school--AND was a graduate assistant--so I never slept. I have ALOT of experience as a allied health assistant all throughout my academic years, having worked in the ER, medsurge, gynecology, and even practice management with a pediatric clinic as well.

Fast forward to post-graduate life. I decided that becoming a Physician Assistant was not the best route for me, so I went into the workforce. With my previous experience in practice management, I landed my first professional job as a business administrator for a 5 doctor group in a pediatric practice. I did that for a year, then I accepted a better job opportunity as a business administrator for an 8 surgeon practice. In total, I was in medical/surgical practice management for 2 years.

Three years ago, I accepted an adjunct Microbiology instructor position at a local community college and have been teaching General Microbiology and Freshman Biology part time ever since. In addition, I went to work full time with a private practice group of 3 oral surgeons, which is where I am now. I am what is called a Surgical Implant Treatment Coordinator. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was 8 years old (deep down, but never thought I could do it)--this job has given me the confidence and the true love of the profession. Due to the dental culture of the town I work in, we as the oral surgery practice do basically EVERYTHING in terms of the implant treatment, including the vast majority of the final restoration!!!! We don't seat crowns, but abutments? You bet. So, I serve as an SITC, I am an oral surgery assistant, clinical operations manager, lab tech for all waxups/prosthetic/temporary crown/customized implant healing devices, and so some business analysis on the side as well. Implant Dentistry, both the surgical and restorative aspects, are my life right now. I love working with my hands and reassuring patients that we will fix their teeth. I LOVE WORKING IN THE LAB--I am constantly visiting with dental labs to learn newest techniques, I love the challenge of waxups! I am constantly visiting, educating, and shadowing general dentists in the town I work in due to being so involved in the implant process, so I have very strong relationships with labs and general dentists for sure--I shadow about 10 dentists on a regular basis. I have sat down with my bosses, shown them my grades, and have told them my desire to go to school. They back me up 100% and have stressed the fact I need to do well on the DAT. They also allow me to take off work and go to class. Which brings me to the next topic:

I met with Dr. Cheramie at LSU in December 2016. He agreed to even sit down with me face-to-face after he reviewed my atrocious transcript. Even though he has a reputation of being too nice to potential applicants, he advised me to retake General Chemistry II (I did, made an A this time) & General Physics I & II (enrolled now), continue my volunteering (I walk shelter dogs and am very involved with animal rescue facilities in the area, I cuddle NICU babies that are withdrawing from drugs as part of a NICU volunteer program at a local hospital, I visit with hospice patients as part of a local hospice group, and I am also part of the Stroke Education team with a local hospital where we go out to the community and educate about signs/symptoms of stroke) continue to shadow dentists like I do, and to aim for a 24-25 on the DAT due to my poor GPA (he didn't call it poor, but it is what it is), and practice the chalk carving exercise required for LSU.

One big advantage I think I have is the fact that I did not have to take Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry to earn a Biology degree. Therefore, I have to complete all of those classes after I finish Physics--a project that will start from 2018 and end in 2019. Dr. Cheramie stated that I have to have straight As in these courses, so that's what I will do! I have a very strong relationship with the Chemistry department at the local university, so I have the tools and relationships I need to do well. The reason I have this strong relationship with the Chemistry department at the university is due to the fact that I have a third job as a medical writer--part time, remote work. I work with a biomedical company out of Ohio--this company is partnered with the university. I write about chemical and microbiology experiments for a hand sanitizer this company manufactures.

After I finish Biochem in 2019, I will start studying for the DAT. My bosses have agreed to let me take a work sabbatical for 3 months to study when the time comes. Hopefully that time can be utilized to score a 25-26 that I need.

You all may be wondering how I have the time to do all of the things I do. Most people think I am insane and that I'm going to get burned out. I don't feel that way. I remain single and do not have children, therefore I have all the time in the world.

My goal is to apply to LSU Dental in June 2020 with a decent DAT score with a hopeful acceptance in December 2020 to start in July 2021. If I don't get in the first time, I am willing to try again in 2021 for 2022 acceptance.

I choose not to let my age bother me. Even if I am 40 years old by the time it's all said and done, that's OK. I am willing to remain single and put my life on hold to accomplish this feat.

Wrapping things up, I work with the best oral surgeons in the state that are HUGE advocates for education and are constantly teaching me physiology day in and out, very, very, very involved in implant dentistry and do a lot of lab work, shadow dentists and dental labs all the time, completed a master's in Cell Bio, have had real world experience and will therefore be a non-traditional applicant, have met with the dean of admissions for LSU, am in the process of completing pre-reqs, volunteer 20+ hours a month with my various projects, am an adjunct Microbiology instructor, am a medical writer for a biomedical company, and make sure to stay well rounded with current events, latest trends, sports, politics, wine, and travel :).

Please, any feedback on my journey is appreciated. Any advice on studying for OChem and the DAT is welcomed. Also, I am afraid to apply to out of state schools due to dental schools preferring in-state applicants, so any recommendations or advice on applying to out of state programs would be great, too. Dental Hygiene, Dental Lab Technician, and Implant Sales will never make me truly happy. I have to do this. I am even considering Perio w/ Prostho emphasis or Prostho w/ Perio emphasis residencies afterwards just because I am so passionate about implant dentistry--even if I am 40, 45 years old at that point. Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone--

I am currently pursuing a journey to dental school that I'm not sure is even attainable. I'm not necessarily trying to ask if I stand a chance of acceptance--alot of people are backing me up and encouraging me--I just want to know if anybody thinks I'm crazy :). So here we go:

I am a 29 year old female. I have a Biology degree undergrad--2.5 overall, not sure of my sGPA. My master's is in Cell Biology, 3.5 GPA. In undergrad, I worked full time throughout undergrad as an ER Tech and with a psychology practice. My explanation for my grades in undergrad is immaturity, priorities not in line, excessive partying, poor time management, and inappropriate studying skills. Went to graduate school and really turned my game around--started making As and Bs in graduate level histology and immunology. I also worked full time AT NIGHT as a CNA on a medsurge floor all throughout grad school--AND was a graduate assistant--so I never slept. I have ALOT of experience as a allied health assistant all throughout my academic years, having worked in the ER, medsurge, gynecology, and even practice management with a pediatric clinic as well.

Fast forward to post-graduate life. I decided that becoming a Physician Assistant was not the best route for me, so I went into the workforce. With my previous experience in practice management, I landed my first professional job as a business administrator for a 5 doctor group in a pediatric practice. I did that for a year, then I accepted a better job opportunity as a business administrator for an 8 surgeon practice. In total, I was in medical/surgical practice management for 2 years.

Three years ago, I accepted an adjunct Microbiology instructor position at a local community college and have been teaching General Microbiology and Freshman Biology part time ever since. In addition, I went to work full time with a private practice group of 3 oral surgeons, which is where I am now. I am what is called a Surgical Implant Treatment Coordinator. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was 8 years old (deep down, but never thought I could do it)--this job has given me the confidence and the true love of the profession. Due to the dental culture of the town I work in, we as the oral surgery practice do basically EVERYTHING in terms of the implant treatment, including the vast majority of the final restoration!!!! We don't seat crowns, but abutments? You bet. So, I serve as an SITC, I am an oral surgery assistant, clinical operations manager, lab tech for all waxups/prosthetic/temporary crown/customized implant healing devices, and so some business analysis on the side as well. Implant Dentistry, both the surgical and restorative aspects, are my life right now. I love working with my hands and reassuring patients that we will fix their teeth. I LOVE WORKING IN THE LAB--I am constantly visiting with dental labs to learn newest techniques, I love the challenge of waxups! I am constantly visiting, educating, and shadowing general dentists in the town I work in due to being so involved in the implant process, so I have very strong relationships with labs and general dentists for sure--I shadow about 10 dentists on a regular basis. I have sat down with my bosses, shown them my grades, and have told them my desire to go to school. They back me up 100% and have stressed the fact I need to do well on the DAT. They also allow me to take off work and go to class. Which brings me to the next topic:

I met with Dr. Cheramie at LSU in December 2016. He agreed to even sit down with me face-to-face after he reviewed my atrocious transcript. Even though he has a reputation of being too nice to potential applicants, he advised me to retake General Chemistry II (I did, made an A this time) & General Physics I & II (enrolled now), continue my volunteering (I walk shelter dogs and am very involved with animal rescue facilities in the area, I cuddle NICU babies that are withdrawing from drugs as part of a NICU volunteer program at a local hospital, I visit with hospice patients as part of a local hospice group, and I am also part of the Stroke Education team with a local hospital where we go out to the community and educate about signs/symptoms of stroke) continue to shadow dentists like I do, and to aim for a 24-25 on the DAT due to my poor GPA (he didn't call it poor, but it is what it is), and practice the chalk carving exercise required for LSU.

One big advantage I think I have is the fact that I did not have to take Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry to earn a Biology degree. Therefore, I have to complete all of those classes after I finish Physics--a project that will start from 2018 and end in 2019. Dr. Cheramie stated that I have to have straight As in these courses, so that's what I will do! I have a very strong relationship with the Chemistry department at the local university, so I have the tools and relationships I need to do well. The reason I have this strong relationship with the Chemistry department at the university is due to the fact that I have a third job as a medical writer--part time, remote work. I work with a biomedical company out of Ohio--this company is partnered with the university. I write about chemical and microbiology experiments for a hand sanitizer this company manufactures.

After I finish Biochem in 2019, I will start studying for the DAT. My bosses have agreed to let me take a work sabbatical for 3 months to study when the time comes. Hopefully that time can be utilized to score a 25-26 that I need.

You all may be wondering how I have the time to do all of the things I do. Most people think I am insane and that I'm going to get burned out. I don't feel that way. I remain single and do not have children, therefore I have all the time in the world.

My goal is to apply to LSU Dental in June 2020 with a decent DAT score with a hopeful acceptance in December 2020 to start in July 2021. If I don't get in the first time, I am willing to try again in 2021 for 2022 acceptance.

I choose not to let my age bother me. Even if I am 40 years old by the time it's all said and done, that's OK. I am willing to remain single and put my life on hold to accomplish this feat.

Wrapping things up, I work with the best oral surgeons in the state that are HUGE advocates for education and are constantly teaching me physiology day in and out, very, very, very involved in implant dentistry and do a lot of lab work, shadow dentists and dental labs all the time, completed a master's in Cell Bio, have had real world experience and will therefore be a non-traditional applicant, have met with the dean of admissions for LSU, am in the process of completing pre-reqs, volunteer 20+ hours a month with my various projects, am an adjunct Microbiology instructor, am a medical writer for a biomedical company, and make sure to stay well rounded with current events, latest trends, sports, politics, wine, and travel :).

Please, any feedback on my journey is appreciated. Any advice on studying for OChem and the DAT is welcomed. Also, I am afraid to apply to out of state schools due to dental schools preferring in-state applicants, so any recommendations or advice on applying to out of state programs would be great, too. Dental Hygiene, Dental Lab Technician, and Implant Sales will never make me truly happy. I have to do this. I am even considering Perio w/ Prostho emphasis or Prostho w/ Perio emphasis residencies afterwards just because I am so passionate about implant dentistry--even if I am 40, 45 years old at that point. Thanks, guys!

Hi! Looks like you are doing some big things!!! Just curious, what were your grades in the classes you are retaking? I just really don't see the need to retake those since you got a Masters degree and shown that you can handle Graduate level Science coursework. Personally, I would have taken the Ochem and biochem classes first, take the DAT, and apply.. If for some reason you don't get in (which I don't think you will have a problem), then maybe retake the physics classes. I'm a non-traditional as well, 31 yo, and this is my second career path. I just know how much I want to get in and, I dont want to have to take extra time if not needed.

Hi! Looks like you are doing some big things!!! Just curious, what were your grades in the classes you are retaking? I just really don't see the need to retake those since you got a Masters degree and shown that you can handle Graduate level Science coursework. Personally, I would have taken the Ochem and biochem classes first, take the DAT, and apply.. If for some reason you don't get in (which I don't think you will have a problem), then maybe retake the physics classes. I'm a non-traditional as well, 31 yo, and this is my second career path. I just know how much I want to get in and, I dont want to have to take extra time if not needed.

Oh, time...what a precious gift. So, the only BAD grades I really had in college were the Gen Chem II, Physics I & II--all Ds. The Dean requested I retake them. I am completing the Physics now, so it's really not that bad. What was your first career path? Where are you applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, time...what a precious gift. So, the only BAD grades I really had in college were the Gen Chem II, Physics I & II--all Ds. The Dean requested I retake them. I am completing the Physics now, so it's really not that bad. What was your first career path? Where are you applying?

Okay, so then you would need to retake because you need higher than C in those classes. I was in the Air Force as a dental assistant. I graduated last year with a BS in health education and have a part time doing health screenings while I finished up some pre-reqs. I'm a Texas resident so I'll be applying to all three here. What other schools are you planning on applying to/are you LA resident?

Reactions: 1 user
It's LSU for now--I was born and raised here, my bosses are tightly associated with LSU, and all the dentists I shadow regularly are adjunct professors there. I have a fear of moving out of state, and I get concerned with out of state tuition. Dental schools don't really care for out of state students, either--especially students with my record. I am lost as far as what to do in that realm of applying. If I knew more and could grow out of the fear of living out of state, I would be more eager to look into other programs.

It's LSU for now--I was born and raised here, my bosses are tightly associated with LSU, and all the dentists I shadow regularly are adjunct professors there. I have a fear of moving out of state, and I get concerned with out of state tuition. Dental schools don't really care for out of state students, either--especially students with my record. I am lost as far as what to do in that realm of applying. If I knew more and could grow out of the fear of living out of state, I would be more eager to look into other programs.

Well, there are a ton of resources on here to help you decide as far as other schools. the Guide to Dental School shows out of state friendly schools, costs and a bunch of good info. I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I realllllyyyy want to get into San Antonio's school because I have family here, built a house, husband has a great job, step kids are starting HS... we have considered doing the long distance thing if I get into other schools.

OOS Friendly Schools List from ADEA Guide

Last edited:
If you're that committed to dentistry, then you shouldn't let the fear of moving out of state hinder you from achieving your goal. There are OOS schools that will allow you to become an in state resident after a year and drive down tuition cost that way. I am currently attending an OOS public school and would have paid more if I stayed in my home state.

I suggest you start browsing the ADEA website for application information.
Very interesting, what school are you at right now?....thankyou!

Hello everyone--

So what's ur question...

So what's ur question...

1) Do you think I am crazy for pursuing this despite my abysmal grades?

2) Do you have any feedback or recommendations based on your personal experiences with dental school?

3) Any feedback or recommendations on out of state schools?

1) Do you think I am crazy for pursuing this despite my abysmal grades?

Just to be clear, your only course work thus far is from the undergrad degree and the master's? I think you can still get in if you do really well on the DAT, and your upcoming post-bac.

2) Do you have any feedback or recommendations based on your personal experiences with dental school?

1. Make sure you really want to do this, because you have a very long and tough road ahead of you.

2. Aiming for a 25-26 on the DAT is a really high mark, maybe unrealistically high.

3) Any feedback or recommendations on out of state schools?

Consider this more in-depth only after you take the DAT and know what kind of stats you'll be working with.

Just to be clear, your only course work thus far is from the undergrad degree and the master's? I think you can still get in if you do really well on the DAT, and your upcoming post-bac.

1. Make sure you really want to do this, because you have a very long and tough road ahead of you.

2. Aiming for a 25-26 on the DAT is a really high mark, maybe unrealistically high.

Consider this more in-depth only after you take the DAT and know what kind of stats you'll be working with.

Thanks, Feralis!

1) Yes, I only have the undergrad and grad work completed. I have retaken Gen Chem II (A this time) retaking Physics I & II now--these 3 were the only retake courses required. 2018 and 2019 will be focused on taking OChem & Biochem since I did not have to take those, hence my chance to do really well with straight As. The other missing link is the DAT--I have always been told to not even bother studying for the DAT until OChem has been completed.

2) I have to be honest in that I have had a few flighty years in my 20s in regards to what profession I wanted to pursue. I went to nursing school for a semester and hated it, was pre-PA for the longest time, dabbled in medical/surgical practice management for a while, was accepted into a Toxicology PhD program, looked into dental hygiene, and even considered Clinical Lab Science. This is it though. I don't care if I ever get married, or if I am the oldest person in the class--it has to be done now. Now is the time to do it.

I definitely agree on the unrealistic expectation of scoring a 25+ on the DAT--but that's the what dean told me I would have to aim for due to my GPA.

3) I will put out of state options in the back of my mind for now.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree on the unrealistic expectation of scoring a 25+ on the DAT--but that's the what dean told me I would have to aim for due to my GPA.
I don't think it is unrealistic. One has to have a general feel for how well they study and perform. I had a goal of 25 and I got pretty dang close. Sometimes, having a high, albeit "unrealistic" goal is the motivation it takes to get it done. Best of luck to you!

I don't think it is unrealistic. One has to have a general feel for how well they study and perform. I had a goal of 25 and I got pretty dang close. Sometimes, having a high, albeit "unrealistic" goal is the motivation it takes to get it done. Best of luck to you!
Mr. Bell apparently must have been unfamiliar with the term when he can up with the curve that carries his name.

Last edited:
Hi everyone--

I finally gave my dental school dreams the funeral they deserved as I finished General Physics this past semester. I did make an A in the course this time, but I found myself not studying and not caring. It was Community College level, the exams were take home and starkly curved, and the instructor awarded so much bonus and homework. That is why I made an A. I still know NOTHING about Physics. I am aware that it isn't on the DAT, but still. If I was struggling this poorly in a community college course with my current workload, I'll never survive Organic & Biochem at the university level. I know 22, 23 year old kids that have graduated that just study for the DAT 40 hrs/wk. I can't afford to do that.

Just for the hell of it, I applied to a graduate perfusion program at UNMC Nebraska, knowing I probably wouldn't do it due to the OOS factor. With my stats, I didn't even get an interview. The admissions committee claims it was because I didn't have enough OR experience. At the end of the day, one doesn't have to really have OR or nursing experience to go to perfusion school. It all boils down to my horrible grades. Not a loss for me, as perfusion is a dying profession.

With all of this being said, there is one other field I have a burning passion for, and that's Women's Health/OBGYN. I went to nursing school when I was 21 and was very immature. It wasn't the right time to embark on such a journey. After a lot of soul searching, I have applied to nursing school for the fall. I know I can get in and can succeed. It is attainable. After nursing (if I make literally a 4.0 the whole way through), I possibly have a solid chance of trying for PA school again, but there's also the Women's Health Nurse Practitoner route as well. Who knows, maybe I'll get an itch to finish out Organic & Biochem, take the MCAT, go off to a Caribbean medical school where they'll take anyone with a pulse, and become an OBGYN. Highly doubtful, but life is so weird.

Anyways, thanks for all of your input in this matter.

Hi everyone--

I finally gave my dental school dreams the funeral they deserved as I finished General Physics this past semester. I did make an A in the course this time, but I found myself not studying and not caring. It was Community College level, the exams were take home and starkly curved, and the instructor awarded so much bonus and homework. That is why I made an A. I still know NOTHING about Physics. I am aware that it isn't on the DAT, but still. If I was struggling this poorly in a community college course with my current workload, I'll never survive Organic & Biochem at the university level. I know 22, 23 year old kids that have graduated that just study for the DAT 40 hrs/wk. I can't afford to do that.

Just for the hell of it, I applied to a graduate perfusion program at UNMC Nebraska, knowing I probably wouldn't do it due to the OOS factor. With my stats, I didn't even get an interview. The admissions committee claims it was because I didn't have enough OR experience. At the end of the day, one doesn't have to really have OR or nursing experience to go to perfusion school. It all boils down to my horrible grades. Not a loss for me, as perfusion is a dying profession.

With all of this being said, there is one other field I have a burning passion for, and that's Women's Health/OBGYN. I went to nursing school when I was 21 and was very immature. It wasn't the right time to embark on such a journey. After a lot of soul searching, I have applied to nursing school for the fall. I know I can get in and can succeed. It is attainable. After nursing (if I make literally a 4.0 the whole way through), I possibly have a solid chance of trying for PA school again, but there's also the Women's Health Nurse Practitoner route as well. Who knows, maybe I'll get an itch to finish out Organic & Biochem, take the MCAT, go off to a Caribbean medical school where they'll take anyone with a pulse, and become an OBGYN. Highly doubtful, but life is so weird.

Thank you for the update. I think it's great that you are soul searching and doing what's best for you. Good luck with your future endeavors I'm sure you will be fine either way.

Hi everyone--

Just keep in mind courses like physics and organic chemistry have nearly zero relevance to dentistry and many of the other healthcare professions. The reason we have to take them is because they're a trial of the level of effort we're willing to put in academically, that's all. You don't have to care about those courses, you just have to get through them with decent grades. So whether you felt like you deserved the A in physics or not doesn't matter, what matters is that that's one more annoying prereq that you now have under your belt. Now you just have to stick out organic chemistry and you'll be well on your way to medical or dental school, whichever you decide to pursue if you still want OBGYN or dentistry. Also, there's a lot of unnecessary hype that organic chemistry gets, it's not as scary as it seems. It is still challenging, but don't let it be a deciding factor for whether you want to pursue medicine/dentistry or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone--

I was in your shoes! Low GPA and it took me forever to get into an allopathic in state school, but I did it. I don't recommend Caribbean medical school - I know SDN is kind of harsh on SGU and Ross but there is an element of truth behind their bashing - just look up all the posts on limited residency spots and funding. I also don't think the skills from Physics coursework carry over to Pre-health organic chemistry and biochemistry. Pre-med organic chemistry and biochemistry comes down to compartmentalizing a whole lot of knowledge (and managing time), while physics is a subject based on intuitive grasp and problem solving. Try taking organic chemistry at a 4 year college, with an upper level course in physiology (or another relevant upper level undergrad medical course), and let that dictate how you move forward. If you get A's and enjoy the subject, I think you can move forward in your dental school application.

And yes, life is really weird. Don't be too hard on yourself and enjoy your life, family and close friends. We are all human beings in the end, and I think the true judge of character is how we bring ourselves up when situations become too overbearing. Perspective is everything - have faith and a good support system - I think you will do just fine :).

Reactions: 1 users