Really low ASDAS gpa but high transcript gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous12356

Reaction score
I just wanted to explain my situation and see if anyone has any advice on what I should do. So my undergrad transcript GPA is a 3.9 I got A's in every class and an A- in two classes. However, my second year of college I got really sick mental health wise I was in the hospital and essentially thought my grades wouldn't matter because I didn't think I was gonna even live. I actually did try to drop my classes at one point and I needed some approval so I just thought why do my grades matter if I don't want to keep going. Over the year I got the help I needed tried out different medications found what really worked for me and finally came back to 100%. I submitted my medical forms and hospital stay proof and the college allowed me to essentially bankrupt all the F's from the year. I took all the classes I needed got A's in every class, started shadowing dentists, did research, was part of and had leadership positions in organizations, etc. I'm studying for my DAT right now and am seeing promising results so far in my practice tests. However, because of all those F's my ASDAS GPA is sub 3.0. I'm not really sure what to do because I saw that they only look at ASDAS GPA and I'll probably just get screened out even though I never actually took the classes my sophomore year but was enrolled in them and never dropped. What should I do in a situation like this. Any advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to explain my situation and see if anyone has any advice on what I should do. So my undergrad transcript GPA is a 3.9 I got A's in every class and an A- in two classes. However, my second year of college I got really sick mental health wise I was in the hospital and essentially thought my grades wouldn't matter because I didn't think I was gonna even live. I actually did try to drop my classes at one point and I needed some approval so I just thought why do my grades matter if I don't want to keep going. Over the year I got the help I needed tried out different medications found what really worked for me and finally came back to 100%. I submitted my medical forms and hospital stay proof and the college allowed me to essentially bankrupt all the F's from the year. I took all the classes I needed got A's in every class, started shadowing dentists, did research, was part of and had leadership positions in organizations, etc. I'm studying for my DAT right now and am seeing promising results so far in my practice tests. However, because of all those F's my ASDAS GPA is sub 3.0. I'm not really sure what to do because I saw that they only look at ASDAS GPA and I'll probably just get screened out even though I never actually took the classes my sophomore year but was enrolled in them and never dropped. What should I do in a situation like this. Any advice would be helpful!
i think you need to ask the individual schools how they would handle things...

Members don't see this ad :)
You said your school “bankrupted “ your F’s.
To get them off your transcript you may have to ask them to show those classes as Withdrawals instead of F’s.
Some schools are willing to do this with situations like yours, so ask your college.
If this isn’t possible you will need to explain that semester briefly in your dental school app.

Reactions: 1 users
What advice are you getting from your prehealth advisors?

Yes, AADSAS calculates all grades listed on a transcript, including bankrupted (non-counted) grades, that appear on the official transcript.

You will have opportunities to discuss your bad semesters. Not everyone understands academic affairs policies to do a semester withdrawal or medical leave of absence, so make sure your prehealth advisor or academic affairs dean help you with language. Set up your meetings as soon as you can in case your window of action is still open.

Follow the procedures. We can't help you on your documentation, but you likely had to get permission from your academic advisor and fill out forms to the registrar.
References:

Hey I am actually able to get my F's turned to W's after reaching out to the college and providing them with all my medical information. Hope this helps!
FWIW, delay submitting your application until your registrar confirms they are all W's, even if it takes you "later" into late July (hopefully it won't take that long). You need to input that in your transcript entry.

Reactions: 1 users