Footwear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it acceptable for students to wear any of the above mentioned shoes?

Absolutely not. Suffering is a mandatory part of the surgical clerkship.

We usually will make the students use wood boards duct taped to their feet. During the case, we'll use our best Mr. T impression to heckle them, saying things like, "Quit yo jibber jabber, foo, you don't know pain!"

Members don't see this ad.

Just a PSA for everyone: Sanitas are the new Danskos (since 2007, so not that new, but I can tell few people know about the difference).

http://www.sanitaclogs.com/aboutus/faq

Danskos are now lower-quality and made in China. Sanitas are the original Dankso clog. They are still made in Denmark (and Poland). They are awesome. The new Danskos, not so much.

To find out if you have an original Dansko or new Dansko, look at the sole. If there's a box inlaid in the sole around the Dankso logo, then you have the originals. If not, then you were swindled.

If you want "Danskos" then buy Sanitas. Current Danskos are a different shoe. If you are in a shoe store, pull out one shoe from each manufacturer. You'll see the difference.

This is good to know-- I've had the same two pair of Danksos for the past 6 years and they're finally starting to wear. I was thinking about ordering another pair but keep hearing the quality has changed. I think I'll try the Sanita's next.

Absolutely not. Suffering is a mandatory part of the surgical clerkship.

We usually will make the students use wood boards duct taped to their feet. During the case, we'll use our best Mr. T impression to heckle them, saying things like, "Quit yo jibber jabber, foo, you don't know pain!"

:laugh:

My mom has been nice enough to buy my shoes for my birthday twice now. My bday before starting MS3, she bought me two pairs of Merrell's, which are nice but don't provide quite enough support for standing for long hours. That, and they soak up blood/guts/pus. So this bday before starting intern year, she bought me a pair of Klogs (the naples, black smooth). I've only worn them for a few days now, but they are great. It is a huge difference between these and the Merrell's I was used to. It is better for standing in the OR for a long time and less good for walking around a lot, but it's got about an inch or so of cushion... plus an inch and a half heel, which is great for my 5' height.

http://www.klogs.com/leather-naples.cfm