Footwear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a resident in July and so far in med school I have had a rough time finding the perfect shoes for a life of running the floor and going to the OR. CROCS for me are great for when I'm mainly on the floor and on call but if I get stuck in a 10 hour case my feet will hate me after. My Danskos are great for the long OR cases but are too clunky to run the floors while I'm on call.

Have any of you found the perfect combination for residency?

Posted from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore New Balance runners through most of residency but started wearing Merrells clogs as a senior resident; they are what I still wear (I like being able to slip my feet out and move them around more than I can in sneakers).

DoctaJay...you just need to try several things out and see what works best for you. And I agree...I could never see moving fast in Danskos but many people swear its not a problem. :shrug:

This is a great topic for discussion to get some ideas. I really like danskos as well, particularly because the base is on the harder side. I feel like I am standing on more solid ground compared to a shoe that is soft and cushiony. I just wish the base of the dansko was bit wider.

Anyone tried the spring loaded shoes by Hammacher Schlemmer?

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/11310?promo=upsells

This is a great topic for discussion to get some ideas. I really like danskos as well, particularly because the base is on the harder side. I feel like I am standing on more solid ground compared to a shoe that is soft and cushiony. I just wish the base of the dansko was bit wider.

Anyone tried the spring loaded shoes by Hammacher Schlemmer?

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/11310?promo=upsells

"We regret that this item is no longer available."

I will be a resident in July and so far in med school I have had a rough time finding the perfect shoes for a life of running the floor and going to the OR. CROCS for me are great for when I'm mainly on the floor and on call but if I get stuck in a 10 hour case my feet will hate me after. My Danskos are great for the long OR cases but are too clunky to run the floors while I'm on call.

Have any of you found the perfect combination for residency?

Posted from my Android phone using Tapatalk

I've gone through several generations of footwear during med school and residency. I have somewhat difficult feet, being too wide with a high arch. I've had plantar fasciitis in the past as well...I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Anyway, I started with Danskos, which I found comfortable to stand in, but not fun to walk in. I clomped around in them and you could hear me coming from a mile away, and I always thought I'd turn my ankle running to a code or something. I tried newer generations of Danskos but ultimately my feet were too wide.

I then went to Keen clogs, but they were hard to walk in as well.

For the last 4 years, I've been wearing Birkenstock clogs, specifically the Birki's professional clogs with breathing holes on the side, and I've been very happy. I can walk around the hospital or stand in the OR and my feet have no problems. I actually wear them all the time now, in and outside of work, and one pair has lasted 4 years, so.....

Your footwear needs as a resident are quite different than those of an attending.... i think.

staff arent in the OR as long, and certainly arent on the floor as long. thats why they can wear cool footwear like cowboy boots, etc...

I wear these cowboy boots.

Attachments

• schwarzeneggerboots2.jpg
    schwarzeneggerboots2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
When I was on call as a resident, I frequently brought a second pair of shoes and socks in and changed over sometime around midnight. It was heaven to go from one pair of sweated out socks and Danskos, to fresh crocs, or whatevers. Gave me new spring in my step to keep going. That, and chai tea were the keys to getting through a busy night.

Fresh shoes and socks are a huge luxury when you're on call. I usually waited until post-call morning rounds (in the days when you didn't go home post-call). That and a quick shower made me feel human.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a PSA for everyone: Sanitas are the new Danskos (since 2007, so not that new, but I can tell few people know about the difference).

http://www.sanitaclogs.com/aboutus/faq

Danskos are now lower-quality and made in China. Sanitas are the original Dankso clog. They are still made in Denmark (and Poland). They are awesome. The new Danskos, not so much.

To find out if you have an original Dansko or new Dansko, look at the sole. If there's a box inlaid in the sole around the Dankso logo, then you have the originals. If not, then you were swindled.

If you want "Danskos" then buy Sanitas. Current Danskos are a different shoe. If you are in a shoe store, pull out one shoe from each manufacturer. You'll see the difference.

Just a PSA for everyone: Sanitas are the new Danskos (since 2007, so not that new, but I can tell few people know about the difference).

http://www.sanitaclogs.com/aboutus/faq

Danskos are now lower-quality and made in China. Sanitas are the original Dankso clog. They are still made in Denmark (and Poland). They are awesome. The new Danskos, not so much.

To find out if you have an original Dansko or new Dansko, look at the sole. If there's a box inlaid in the sole around the Dankso logo, then you have the originals. If not, then you were swindled.

If you want "Danskos" then buy Sanitas. Current Danskos are a different shoe. If you are in a shoe store, pull out one shoe from each manufacturer. You'll see the difference.

So i checked mine and they are definitely the newer chinese version. maybe thats why my feet hate them.

So i checked mine and they are definitely the newer chinese version. maybe thats why my feet hate them.
Do you feel like your foot is pinched across the top? I've noticed the new Danskos are a lot smaller.

Check out Sanita. They are the originals that gave Dansko the name they still carry today. Sanita made Danskos for Dankso. For whatever reason, the relationship dissolved in 2007, and Dansko found a Chinese company to take over manufacturing. Sanita continued making the same shoe as before, just branded under their own name.

Spread the word!

this is so funny.....i had a pair of (now that i checked) original Danskos that i replaced a couple years ago with (after checking) what turns out to be these chinese knockoffs. i have wondered why the leather doesnt wear as nicely, there is clearly an air leak in the sole, and the toe box looks like they added a couple mm of extra material. just found original Sanitas on Amazon for less than new danskos....on the way for me.

Do those open-backed clogs stay on well? I hate being in dress shoes where you end up swimming around in them. I'd like ones that are snug. Do the open-backed Sanitas flop like flip flops?

I've got a pair of Brooks tennis shoes with extra arch support for my flat feet. They're great.

I wear the sanitas and yes they make noise with the floor as i walk. I like them because in the OR i can stand on the edge of the hard back cover and go higher on the OR table if I need to without a stand.

one of my good friends who is a GS resident rocks the high top Jordan's. Not my choice of shoes, but seems to work for him

My problem is the front of my feet. All the shoes seem to focus on the heel but there is simply not enough cushioning for the front of the foot. Merrils suck. I have so much pain. No I am not fat, 175 lbs. I need a pair of great shoes to protect my feet.

thanks for all the advice guys. I ordered the Birki's Professional Clogs to start out with and I will move on to the Sanitas if the Birkis don't cut it.

Doc Marten's are pretty comfy. In a previous life, I wore them to stand for 8-9 hours at a time. I found that wearing compression stockings helped too, but for whatever reason I don't wear them anymore. The shoes are lace up, so you can sprint to codes.

Check out Sanita. They are the originals that gave Dansko the name they still carry today. Sanita made Danskos for Dankso. For whatever reason, the relationship dissolved in 2007, and Dansko found a Chinese company to take over manufacturing. Sanita continued making the same shoe as before, just branded under their own name.

The things I learn on SDN. This explains so much... Like why my year old pair of danskos suck so much in comparison to my 7 to 8 year old pairs.

I'll have to check out Sanita's products.

I have big wide feet and have never found Danskos to be comfortable.

I have always done well with Merrell Jungle moc (though they tend to wear out rather quickly
or my current favorite,

http://www.zappos.com/keen-utility-ptc-slip-on-ii-black~2

the Keen Utility PTC. These shoes are great. Anti-slip rubber sole very wide toe box and very durable. I've had them for two years. A great shoe!

The things I learn on SDN. This explains so much... Like why my year old pair of danskos suck so much in comparison to my 7 to 8 year old pairs.

I'll have to check out Sanita's products.
Yeah they're great, and Sanitas are usually cheaper or the same price as Danskos.

Yeah they're great, and Sanitas are usually cheaper or the same price as Danskos.

They were selling some of the Danskos in the cafeteria at my hospital this past week. I took a look at them, and they are the ones made in China. They definitely feel cheap, like the company sold out their name and went with an inferior quality product. I'm looking forward to my Sanitas coming in the mail tomorrow. I think my feet will finally feel better! :)

Has anyone tried to rock out those Five Fingers shoes in the OR??

vibram_fivefingers_shoes-300x206.jpg

Wow.. I cant imagine what kind of attention that would draw to you wearing those... As staff/resident or student. I reckon most of it would be negative, but maybe just out of jealousy!

I heard that one well known guy operates barefoot

Wow.. I cant imagine what kind of attention that would draw to you wearing those... As staff/resident or student. I reckon most of it would be negative, but maybe just out of jealousy!

I think you would need to be chief level or higher to get away with those. I can see some trauma guys wearing them.

He used to, now he must wear socks due to hospital rules. But he does have an awesome green pad he puts under his feet when he operates that I would definitely like as an attending!

He used to, now he must wear socks due to hospital rules. But he does have an awesome green pad he puts under his feet when he operates that I would definitely like as an attending!
All right who is this mysterious surgeon who operates barefoot/in stocking feet? That's two posts about him now.

All right who is this mysterious surgeon who operates barefoot/in stocking feet? That's two posts about him now.

We have one, too, but I don't want to name names....It absolutely disgusts me when I see it, though....

I had several attendings in residency (no "big names") who didn't wear socks and always wore Crocs (open backed and holes all over the front portion of shoe). In bloody cases, one CT fellow sometimes had to put his feet and Crocs in the scrub sink and wash off afterward :eek: :eek: At least socks give an extra layer of protection from body fluids.

I had several attendings in residency (no "big names") who didn't wear socks and always wore Crocs (open backed and holes all over the front portion of shoe). In bloody cases, one CT fellow sometimes had to put his feet and Crocs in the scrub sink and wash off afterward :eek: :eek: At least socks give an extra layer of protection from body fluids.
I wear the big boots in bloody CT (or trauma) cases. Better to have your sock wet from sweat than from blood. That is just gross.

I would be more worried about a dropped instrument injuring my feet. Can't believe any hospital would actually allow this since they are going to be dealing with the work comp claim if a toe gets sliced. I do slip my feet out (one at a time) and wiggle the piggies some during long cases, but I don't let them touch the floor. Those squishy pads still feel good while wearing shoes, but my hospital is too poor to get any (and I don't want to buy one either)

I use Dansko's (originals) and now it is hard to wear anything else for long periods of standing or walking (I wear them in public too, I know it's bad, but they feel so good). You do need to have the right foot shape for them though, I can't wear the closed back because the arch hits in the wrong spot somehow. I can run in them, but occasionally do roll my ankle. I sprained my ankles so many times as a kid that it no longer hurts for long when I do it though (I'm waiting for the terrible arthritis to show itself). There is an art to running in them that you just have to figure out through trial and error (do it wrong and you end up a few steps ahead of the shoe-have done this, or in a heap to the side-have seen this). My hospital isn't that big so I don't often have to really run.

There was a shoe I tried once that had what seemed like an inch of pillowy stuff inside that felt great, but they were so expensive I didn't get them. Can't think of the name now, but they were are one of those stores that only sell comfy shoes.

I wear the big boots in bloody CT (or trauma) cases. Better to have your sock wet from sweat than from blood. That is just gross.
No, I didn't mean that socks should replace the need for booties in bloody cases....yuck. I meant that at least socks give you an extra layer of protection in general and prevent things from dripping further down your ankles/feet and pooling in your shoe (afterall, there's some cases that are unexpectedly bloody, or something drips down the drape and gets on your feet/ankle/lower leg).

I think they are much more designed for running than for standing in one place for long periods of time.

I do have a pare of the Merrell "barefoot" shoes which are similar in principle; I will give them a try in the OR tomorrow and report back, but I like them for running and hiking, I didn't buy them as work shoes.

I try to rotate my shoes...I think that helps more than anything. I have a pair of Danskos, a pair of cushiony nike airs, and a pair of merrell light weight shoes. Been happy with all of them.

Is it acceptable for students to wear any of the above mentioned shoes? I start my first rotation which is surgery and wanted to make sure I have a good pair of shoes for the OR so my feet don't kill me. I have very high arches, not sure if any one here has high arches and could recommend something?

Thanks,

Nick