Military tuition assistance and loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

villacog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sure this question is redundant but I must not be typing the right words into the search engine....

I am active duty about to go reserves. I plan to save my gi bill for grad school and use the reservist tuition assistance for undergrad. Id like to take the stafford loans to have an emergency fund for living expenses. If I accept the loan will the school use it to pay my tuition and then the military will see its paid for and deny me the request for tuition assistance or will the military still pay tuition and I will get to keep the entire loan? Im not able to visit an education office for the next few months to ask this due to current circumstances but id like to start making a rough draft plan based on answers from those whove been through the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually the school will put together a financial aid package for the "cost of attendance" which would have living expenses and such. You would then be able to obtain loans up to the cost of attendance (or your loan limits if it is an expensive school). If all you want is the difference between tuition and the rest of the cost of attendance it shouldn't be an issue.