fmg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slluurrrrpppp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do FMGs get into a lucrative field like optha ? what can be done to enhance ones chances : a ) during undergraduation ? , b ) between undergraduation and the match ?

- gurdesh .

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by slluurrrrpppp
do FMGs get into a lucrative field like optha ? what can be done to enhance ones chances : a ) during undergraduation ? , b ) between undergraduation and the match ?

- gurdesh .

You have to really stand out; but, I'm not sure what you need to do in short of being Awesome and God-like. When I applied, less than 10 students accepted were FMG out of 460+ positions. This should give you an idea how competitive it is. One FMG doing research at Wilmer applied 3 times and failed. I think she left the US to work in her country.

Most FMG's matching in ophthalmology usually have trained in ophthalmology in other countries and usually have practiced for many years. They usually do several years of research here in the U.S. and/or clinical fellowships in the U.S. before applying for ophthalmology.

I can't say this is the case for everyone, but this is what I have noticed from a few FMG's I have met currently in ophtho residency programs.