FMG w/4 failed attempts Score of 207 Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeignMD12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a foreign medical graduate from Colombia and graduated in 2008. I came to the US on a student visa and worked on my English proficiency in school. I'm a permanent resident as I married two years ago, so my status is fine. I've graduated with an AS degree (not impressive, I know) but have failed the Step 1 4 times. I just passed with a score of 207 and I'm doing hands-on externships in cardiology(1 month) IM/Pathology (2 months) and ER (2 months) for a total of 5 months of US clinical experience. I'm scheduled to take the Step 2 CK and CS in July.

What are my chances of getting into a residency? Is Puerto Rico even an option at this point? My native language is Spanish, which helps, but I am very proficient in English. Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry friend but you have to realize the chances of matching for foreign medical graduates is around 50% and I believe they take the best of the applicants. If I were you, I would look into other options like PA school or nurse practitioner. I'm sure your a great person but the 4 failures are a automatic no for most places. I think places only consider 1-2 failures at most as they prefer someone who passed everything on the first try. Best of luck.

Okay guys no need to be so cruel. Your chances are not great with so many fails but if you rock step 2 and do well in these rotations someone may take a chance on you. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice- both positive and negative. I am finishing my first externship this week, which had hands-on clinical experience and have 4 more months of externships already set up as I study for step 2 and 3. I'm taking a week long in-class course with Kaplan for the clinical step 2, which should help a lot. I'll be working on improving my personal statement and have done research on what to include, but does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate all the help!

I wish you the best of luck on Step 2 and 3 and applying and getting interviews and ranked! Some program may take a chance on you, best wishes!

The caveat: some programs may take a chance on you, but it's more likely that your road to medicine here is done. FMGs already have an uphill struggle as it is. Programs are going to be wary about board exam failures because they want residents who can pass the in-training exams. By choosing you instead of someone else who has passed the boards with fewer to no failures, they're taking a large gamble. Plus, having 3 failures on Step 1 automatically rules you out of receiving a license in many states. Since you're already registered for Step 2, might as well take it and you'll have to demolish it.

I won't mince my words and give you false hopes, but you might have to start thinking about other career options at this point should you want to work in the US. Best of luck.

I think places only consider 1-2 failures at most as they prefer someone who passed everything on the first try. Best of luck.
6ik4Ah

I realize it's been a long hard road for you and I want to be kind to you regarding this, but I think the most genuine advice on here are those who are implying that you want to start thinking of alternate career options. I know this isn't an easy pill to swallow at this point considering everything you've been through. But if your store is true--then honestly there is practically 0% chance of ever being a doctor in the US. I'm not saying this to be negative/mean/or dishonest and I believe most will agree. Even if you passed on your first try--a 207 is not a competitive grade, especially for a foreign grad. But four failures is a pretty clear signal.

Try to kill your step 2 and step 3 (and I'm talking >250) and maybe (just maybe) someone will take a chance on you. But like the above posters said have a plan B and keep your career options open at the same time (don't invest all your money on this)

Hi everyone,
I'm a foreign medical graduate from Colombia and graduated in 2008. I came to the US on a student visa and worked on my English proficiency in school. I'm a permanent resident as I married two years ago, so my status is fine. I've graduated with an AS degree (not impressive, I know) but have failed the Step 1 4 times. I just passed with a score of 207 and I'm doing hands-on externships in cardiology(1 month) IM/Pathology (2 months) and ER (2 months) for a total of 5 months of US clinical experience. I'm scheduled to take the Step 2 CK and CS in July.

What are my chances of getting into a residency? Is Puerto Rico even an option at this point? My native language is Spanish, which helps, but I am very proficient in English. Any recommendations?
Your best chance is Puerto Rico... You need to pass step 2 CK/CS and apply for 1-year internship there. You will be licensed as a GP. I know someone who did that and he is working in PR as a GP now... Not sure if you can do anything with a GP license in the U.S. mainland.

Thank you, W19. PR is a possibility but if I am accepted for a 1-year internship there, is it easier to get into a residency back here in the states or would I transition into a residency there? I appreciate the info!

@ForeignMD12345 That will definitely help your resume. However, I have no idea if that will help you make the transition to US residency... The person I know told me he will apply for GP license in FL and VA at the end of this year. You will be somewhat restricted to work in the prison system and county department of health in FL with a GP license. In fact, that what that person told me he will do. Don't know anything about Virginia since I am not familiar with their licensing process.

Remember that they have ACGME accredited residency in PR. You might be able to make the transition to a PR residency since Spanish is your 1st language... However, PR is desperate for GP, hence they have created that [internship] path so they can solve the primary care issue they have.

@W19 You are amazing- thank you! I will look into this program. I guess it wouldn't be horrible to end up in sunny Florida for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user