FMG getting Ophthalmology Res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NdSea

Internal Medicine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know FMG have a difficult time getting Ophthalmology residencies, but i was curious if there are certain programs that are more accepting of FMG. What kind of usmle scores can be expected to get matches into these programs, if at all possible? Any sort of response would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me give you some facts about ophtho, as I have gone thru this process...

Any one can get into ophtho, whether you are a US grad or an FMG if you do the following.

Since your an FMG, this is what you have to do to increase your chances:

Pass step I and step II (the higher the better), but I know someone who got into a good program with a 201 on step I. Another person with an average score 210-220.

These guys did rotations in the programs they were interested in and impressed the attendings and all the right people. they got themselves known and liked.

Some also took part in clinical research in ophthalmology. This also was a great boost to their CV.

If you do these things and you are a very good person, you can get in (if not the first time around, more likely the second time around).

Being persistant and getting the right letters of recc (from the right people) is what it is all about.

my 2cents