FMG friendly(er) programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackmon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anybody knowledgeable on whether or not a US integrated plastics program would be interested in a FMG candidate with a Step 1 score in the high 250s range? My school has never placed a student into plastics directly, but a graduate a year ago was able to get neurosurgery at a reputable hospital albeit being the first to get such a residency. My school is also chartered by one of the big states and most of our graduates match successfully into programs there.

I guess I would like to know whether it's a complete shot in the dark or if there's enough of a chance to at least try and shoot for a match.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anybody knowledgeable on whether or not a US integrated plastics program would be interested in a FMG candidate with a Step 1 score in the high 250s range? My school has never placed a student into plastics directly, but a graduate a year ago was able to get neurosurgery at a reputable hospital albeit being the first to get such a residency. My school is also chartered by one of the big states and most of our graduates match successfully into programs there.

I guess I would like to know whether it's a complete shot in the dark or if there's enough of a chance to at least try and shoot for a match.

There are many factors that go in to a successful match. Currently the climate for matching to prs is extraordinarily competitive. It's probably not realistic for you to expect to match at this time given that you are attending a foreign medical school. That said, here are some pieces of the puzzle to consider:

-Are you an American attending a foriegn school, or are you a foreigner attending your home institution? What is the rep of your school? Is it a well-known European school, or is it a Caribbean school?

-Do you have any publications/research in the field?

-Do you know anyone in the field? Have you been to any meetings and met your future employers? Connections are huge and will be even more important for you coming from a foreign school.

-How well did you do in medical school? You should be at or near the top of your class.

-Do you have any US clnical experience?

There are other important factors in the match and maybe some of the other people on this site will chime in. Do you have a shot? Sure I guess. Nothing is impossible. It will be more difficult for you to match though than a US med student, and it is *very* hard to match even for the best US medical students.

There is a ton of interest in plastic surgery, as it is the coolest field in medicine, and unfortunately at this time in history it is exceedingly hard to get a spot. If plastics is the only field for you, and you are dead set on applying, get an advisor asap. Ideally find an attending at a program and have that person give you advice and guide you. And, have a backup plan you can live with.

A more realistic approach would be to match at the best general surgery program you can, do extremely well there, and then apply for an independent spot. Those posititons are just as hard to get, but you can spend the first few years of general surgery residency building your case/making connections/getting published/going to meetings/getting great inservice scores/great letters etc.

Hey igap,

Just wanted to say this is a really great response.
OP- I think gap really covered it all. I am a USIMG and have done a lot of research on this topic and igap pretty much covered it all...His last paragraph is golden and I think the way to do it. I think it's quite impt to make connections.

Thanks igap and G'luck OP,
A

There are many factors that go in to a successful match. Currently the climate for matching to prs is extraordinarily competitive. It's probably not realistic for you to expect to match at this time given that you are attending a foreign medical school. That said, here are some pieces of the puzzle to consider:

-Are you an American attending a foriegn school, or are you a foreigner attending your home institution? What is the rep of your school? Is it a well-known European school, or is it a Caribbean school?

-Do you know anyone in the field? Have you been to any meetings and met your future employers? Connections are huge and will be even more important for you coming from a foreign school.

-How well did you do in medical school? You should be at or near the top of your class.

There are other important factors in the match and maybe some of the other people on this site will chime in. Do you have a shot? Sure I guess. Nothing is impossible. It will be more difficult for you to match though than a US med student, and it is *very* hard to match even for the best US medical students.

There is a ton of interest in plastic surgery, as it is the coolest field in medicine, and unfortunately at this time in history it is exceedingly hard to get a spot. If plastics is the only field for you, and you are dead set on applying, get an advisor asap. Ideally find an attending at a program and have that person give you advice and guide you. And, have a backup plan you can live with.

A more realistic approach would be to match at the best general surgery program you can, do extremely well there, and then apply for an independent spot. Those posititons are just as hard to get, but you can spend the first few years of general surgery residency building your case/making connections/getting published/going to meetings/getting great inservice scores/great letters etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you still hold the "not realistic" opinion if I:

1) Did have a surgical publication already (second author) and planned on more this year
2) Am an Amerian, attended a US undergrad university
3) Attend a highly regarded foreign medical school (still foreign, but ranked in the top 6 - which as far as I'm concerned are schools in Australia/Israel)
4) Have family members in the field who may have further connections
5) Will have US clinical experience during 4th year electives (4 rotations total)

1) Did have a surgical publication already (second author) and planned on more this year
3) Attend a highly regarded foreign medical school (still foreign, but ranked in the top 6 - which as far as I'm concerned are schools in Australia/Israel)
5) Will have US clinical experience during 4th year electives (4 rotations total)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qULSszbA-Ek

Your best bet is to direct these questions to an advisor as previously recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qULSszbA-Ek

Your best bet is to direct these questions to an advisor as previously recommended.

Haha I was thinking about this exact scene as I was asking the question.

"I like plastics. I like plastics, ah lot."

I'd advise you to apply to Amerian residencies . . . you might have a fighting chance there . . .

Wow. Residency must not be so tough since you have all the time in the world to point out random typos on message boards. You like your job?

Last edited:

Straigt up, YES. It's hard, it's rare, it's not realistic! PRS is quite competetive blackmon. Work hard, do your best and try to get into a GS residency in the states and then from there work on securing the PRS fellowship. Make your application as competetive as possible, that's all you can do, and it looks like you're already working on some points...
In regards to point 1. This is good :)
In regards to point 2. This is good also :)
In regards to point 3. "as far as you're concerned" doesn't matter to the PD, its as far as the PD is concerned, IMHO...Do those schools allow you to obtain US clinical experience which is a must for most GS residencies. I'd work on that if I were you.
In regards to point 4, this is key & your best bet...work on it
In regards to point 5. Haha, that answered point 3 ;)

One thing that you have to realize is that there are many AMG's with great board scores and publications that are trying to get into the PRS residency and this is what makes it difficult -> lots of well-qualified AMG's mixed in with IMG's and not that many spots... Just looking at the IM board for last years match applicants, there are many AMG's on there with 250's...

G'luck, wish you all the best!
A

P.S. igap-lol- way to bring in the dumb n' dumber vid...lol! I think we've all been guilty of that phenomenon every now and then! :oops: