Flossing not backed by data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have people telling me that flossing isn’t backed by data and I tried looking it up and I’m not sure what to make of the info online, it seems it’s not backed by data but still recommended. Can anyone shed some light about this? Is flossing backed by robust data that everyone needs to do (like quitting smoking or brushing teeth) or is it only applicable to some patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no evidence that flossing prevents cavities. There IS evidence that flossing prevents periodontal disease.

That being said, we know that dental caries form when strep mutans in undisturbed dental plaque produces acid byproducts. And we know flossing removes that undisturbed dental plaque from interproximal surfaces.

If you remember the transitive property from math class, if a = b and b = c, a = c.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Studies show that when dentists or other professionally trained personnel do the flossing for the patient, there is a decreased risk of caries. When patients do it themselves, the data is inconclusive. Dental flossing and interproximal caries: a systematic review. - PubMed - NCBI

What that tells me is that poor flossing technique is obfuscating the data, and it may be poor patient education that is underlying the issue.

Reactions: 1 user