General Admissions & OTCAS Florida OT Schools & GRE/Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiGirlOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I am applying for the 2017 Fall/Summer cycle and just wanted to share my stats and get stats from other applicants or current students.

School: FIU
Major: Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.68
Pre Req: about 3.6 (depending on the school & courses)
GRE: V 148, Q 152, AW - 3.5
Volunteer: 175hrs OT Peds
Extra Curr: Internship/Camp Counselor at Peds Rehab Center, Research Assistant under Clinical Psych Lab, Therapy Student Org, Psych Club (PASS)

Applied: FIU, Howard
Accepted: FIU

I was really interested in the MOT program at Nova as well but I decided to hold off applying because I do not have volunteer hours in two different settings and missed the app deadline :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School: FIU
Major: Recreational Therapy
Undergrad GPA: 3.28
Pre Req: 3.13-3.6 varies from school to school
GRE: V 152, Q 151, AW 4.0
Volunteer/observation: 65 hrs @ Rehab hospital, 45 hrs @ outpatient hand therapy
Extra Curr: RT Club, 2 internships @ nursing home(160 hrs each), 1 internship @ baptist hospital (560 hrs), Orthotics CEU class volunteer, entry level job @ a medical/adaptive equipment company.

I've submitted to FIU, NOVA, USA & BU. Have not heard back from any, I applied a bit late (2 weeks ago).

UPDATE:
Accepted: Barry University 3/7 & FIU 3/31
"High" Hold: NOVA
Pending interviews: USA on 4/7

I submitted my spot deposit for Barry a few days before I received acceptance from FIU but I think FIU is the school I will be attending.

Last edited:
School: USF
MAJOR:
Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.90 (Im not sure of my pre-req gpa)
GRE: 152 Q, 155 V, 4 AW
Volunteer/Observation hours:
total of 100 hours including skilled nursing facility, PEDS, and an outpatient clinic
Extra-curricular: entry level job at outpatient physical therapy clinic as a rehab technician
I just submitted to FGCU this week and I think that's the only school Im applying to (I know it's not the smartest thing to keep my options limited) but I live nearby and financially it's really the only option for me right now. If I don't get accepted this first time then i'll expand to many more schools. Good luck guys!!

Members don't see this ad :)
School: USF
MAJOR:
Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.90 (Im not sure of my pre-req gpa)
GRE: 152 Q, 155 V, 4 AW
Volunteer/Observation hours:
total of 100 hours including skilled nursing facility, PEDS, and an outpatient clinic
Extra-curricular: entry level job at outpatient physical therapy clinic as a rehab technician
I just submitted to FGCU this week and I think that's the only school Im applying to (I know it's not the smartest thing to keep my options limited) but I live nearby and financially it's really the only option for me right now. If I don't get accepted this first time then i'll expand to many more schools. Good luck guys!!

Hi CailOT! I am sure you will get in, you have a lot going for you :) I am in a similar situation except I decided late but...
I too go to USF, and I am just applying to FGCU for now.. I just decided to do OT last semester and did not find out about FGCU until two weeks ago.. but it is super cool we have some stuff in common :)
My stats are the following:
MAJOR: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.77
Pre-Req GPA: 3.96
GRE: 145 Q, 148 V, Still waiting ( I did not study and these scores are throwing me off)
Volunteer/Observation hours: total of 66 hours at a hospital and outpatient center.
Extra-curricular: Two Internships one for the College of Medicine and Department of Veteran's Affairs, Volunteer Hours, Sorority

Hi guys, I applied for this upcoming 2017 cycle too. I also am at a disadvantage with my gre scores.

I'm a psyc major graduated from UCF
GPA: 3.2 LAST 60, 3.7
PRE-REQ: 3.3-3.5 (depends on program)
OBSERVATION: 120 hours in skilled nursing, and outpatient adult/pediatric clinics.
EXTRA: I volunteered abroad in Indonesia for a month working with special needs children and also in a psychiatric hospital. I also currently volunteer as a rehab aid at a hospital in my community.
GRE: 146 v, 149 q

So far I am waitlist at USA, a hold candidate for NOVA. And have not heard much from Barry and FGCU.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!! I'm also applying to Florida OT schools for this cycle and am finally getting a little bit of response.
I go to Florida State & I'm a Psych major
GPA: 3.9,
GRE: 156 Q, 152 V, 4.0 AW
Observation: 100 hours in pediatrics, inpatiet rehab, outpatient adult, and acute
Extra: Sorority, Psi chi, pre ot/pt club, best buddies, volunteering at preschool in town
Applied: NOVA, FGCU, UF, & U St. Augustine
Interviews: NOVA (video), FGCU (skype) 1/27
Accepted: NOVA 2/1

Flotgirl, did you apply to USA for the fall or summer term? I applied for fall and haven't heard anything

Good Luck to everyone, we can do this! :)
I applied for summer!

Hi everyone!! I'm also applying to Florida OT schools for this cycle and am finally getting a little bit of response.
Observation: 100 hours in pediatrics, inpatiet rehab, outpatient adult, and acute
Extra: Sorority, Psi chi, pre ot/pt club, best buddies, volunteering at preschool in town

Flotgirl, did you apply to USA for the fall or summer term? I applied for fall and haven't heard anything

Congrats!! Are you going to accept Nova's offer?

Congrats!! Are you going to accept Nova's offer?
Thank you! At the moment, I do not think I am going to accept because of the big price difference between NOVA and the in-state schools.

Hi guys, I applied for this upcoming 2017 cycle too. I also am at a disadvantage with my gre scores.

I'm a psyc major graduated from UCF
GPA: 3.2 LAST 60, 3.7
PRE-REQ: 3.3-3.5 (depends on program)
OBSERVATION: 120 hours in skilled nursing, and outpatient adult/pediatric clinics.
EXTRA: I volunteered abroad in Indonesia for a month working with special needs children and also in a psychiatric hospital. I also currently volunteer as a rehab aid at a hospital in my community.
GRE: 146 v, 149 q

So far I am waitlist at USA, a hold candidate for NOVA. And have not heard much from Barry and FGCU.

Good luck everyone!

When were you notified that you were waitlisted for USA ?

Hey! Congrats on being accepted to NOVA, are you willing to share if there were any questions with FGCUs interview that caught you off guard or anything to keep in mind to prepare?

Hey! Congrats on being accepted to NOVA, are you willing to share if there were any questions with FGCUs interview that caught you off guard or anything to keep in mind to prepare?
Hello again!! I was literally so nervous at the interview (technical difficulties were throwing me off) but there wasn't anything particularly unusual, be able to define OT and give examples of when you shadowed, strengths/weakness, etc. There were some "give me an example of a time when" type questions so be prepared with stories you can pull out from school/work and you will be golden! Let me know when you hear anything after your interview, I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!!
Hello again!! I was literally so nervous at the interview (technical difficulties were throwing me off) but there wasn't anything particularly unusual, be able to define OT and give examples of when you shadowed, strengths/weakness, etc. There were some "give me an example of a time when" type questions so be prepared with stories you can pull out from school/work and you will be golden! Let me know when you hear anything after your interview, I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back. Good luck!!

Last edited:
UPDATE: I received an acceptance email from FGCU this morning!!! (2 weeks after interview) :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
congrats again!! Are you going to attend fgcu?
Thanks!! I am still waiting to hear back from UF, but I am really interested in FGCU too. What schools are you interested in?

UPDATE: I received an acceptance email from FGCU this morning!!! (2 weeks after interview) :soexcited:

Congratulations OTCourt!! That is amazing! :):) I received a phone call today from Wanda and I have an interview 2/25. If you do not mind, can you please share any questions asked or pointers for the interview? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hey!
I would like to hear if people who have current "hold spots" for Nova's MOT program start to hear back :)

Post here if you happen to hear back!!

I'm a hold spot for NOVA, in the official letter I received they said that we should start hearing around March 15th.

Hey!
I would like to hear if people who have current "hold spots" for Nova's MOT program start to hear back :)

Post here if you happen to hear back!!

I am a "high" hold for Nova, I spoke with Keatta and she informed me that the hold candidates will be re-reviewed & notified by the end of March. Since the application is open until March 1st, they will review the candidates whom they have not reviewed first, then look back over on the holds! There are high holds and regular holds, she can let you know if you're a high hold or not.

I am a "high" hold for Nova, I spoke with Keatta and she informed me that the hold candidates will be re-reviewed & notified by the end of March. Since the application is open until March 1st, they will review the candidates whom they have not reviewed first, then look back over on the holds! There are high holds and regular holds, she can let you know if you're a high hold or not.

Interesting, I have never heard Keatta mention about being a regular hold, or high hold since they tell you in the letter that there is no order. How did you find that out?

Hey, if you dont mind me asking, when was your video due?

Thanks!

Interesting, I have never heard Keatta mention about being a regular hold, or high hold since they tell you in the letter that there is no order. How did you find that out?
She said it at the back stage pass! And then said we could ask what status we are!

I'm excited to announce I was accepted into St. Augustine for Summer!

Hey,
Have you heard anything back from NOVA?

I haven't :unsure: but I've been accepted into two schools (Murphy Deming and Howard University) but I'm trying to choose a school that's cheaper and Nova is the cheapest and who wouldn't want to live in Florida. When did you submit the video?

I haven't :unsure: but I've been accepted into two schools (Murphy Deming and Howard University) but I'm trying to choose a school that's cheaper and Nova is the cheapest and who wouldn't want to live in Florida. When did you submit the video?
Congrats! I believe my video was due on 1/11/17. Hoping they still have spots left!

Congrats!!

When did you hear from Howard? I haven't heard a thing since I applied.

Congrats!!

When did you hear from Howard? I haven't heard a thing since I applied.

They sent me an invitation via email 2/20 and I had to respond by 2/28. I had the interview 2/7. I chose to decline the offer since the cost of living is insane and it would cost more than the OTD. I'm still waiting on NOVA.

Hi @octherapy. I was accepted into FIU MOT program! I received the email just yesterday at like 5:30pm. But I have not heard anything back from UF.

Wow congrats!! I was under the impression students would not find out until April about FIU MOT program. Do you mind me asking your stats?

Hi @octherapy. I was accepted into FIU MOT program! I received the email just yesterday at like 5:30pm. But I have not heard anything back from UF.
HEY! I was accepted too! But I might defer for a semester... does anyone know how deferring works for FIU? Is it even possible to defer?

Reactions: 1 users
HEY! I was accepted too! But I might defer for a semester... does anyone know how deferring works for FIU? Is it even possible to defer?

You'll most likely have to reapply! The class schedules are pretty fixed and you'd have to make up the first semester's work before continuing.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow congrats!! I was under the impression students would not find out until April about FIU MOT program. Do you mind me asking your stats?
Thank you! :) And my stats are: Undergrad overall GPA: 3.78, Pre-req GPA: 3.77, and about 100 hours of OT observation and 80 hours of volunteer work in the healthcare field.

Thank you! :) And my stats are: Undergrad overall GPA: 3.78, Pre-req GPA: 3.77, and about 100 hours of OT observation and 80 hours of volunteer work in the healthcare field.

Did you have all the pre reqs that they require?

Did you have all the pre reqs that they require?
Yes, I did. I took Neuroanatomy and Musculoskeletal anatomy at FGCU for their OT program, but they worked for FIU requirements as well.

So for anyone who's thinking or wants to know about deferring for FIU, I called and asked. Apparently they do defer but they defer your application for a year. Meaning you would not be guaranteed admission for next season. Your application will basically be competing against next seasons applicants and based off that you may or may not be admitted again.

:)

I called UF, they are still reviewing applications and will be sending out letters within two weeks.

I also spoke with Nova, they have 41 seats filled and 17 high hold applicants. We should be hearing from them next week or a couple weeks after incase the acceptances next week don't accept their offer.

Reactions: 1 users
I called UF, they are still reviewing applications and will be sending out letters within two weeks.

I also spoke with Nova, they have 41 seats filled and 17 high hold applicants. We should be hearing from them next week or a couple weeks after incase the acceptances next week don't accept their offer.
Do you know how many seats total they are offering?