Flinders Class of 2012 - and other information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayjay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Adelaide
  • Pop: 1.2m+
  • State: South Australia
  • Other medical schools: University of Adelaide
  • Distance from other cities: Melbourne (739km), Sydney (1400km), Brisbane (1900km)
  • Temperature (mean): Max 22C (72F), Min 12C (54F)

**All costs from here on are quoted in AUD**
Current exchange rate (July25, 2011): 1 AUD = 1.025 CAD = 1.084 USD

Flinders Medical School (stats from www.Medinoz.com and other sources)
International spots: ~20
Cost: $186000 over four years (~$46000/year + equipment/books)
Transition to MD program: Not anticipated till around 2014 and will not affect current class of 2012. As it stands, BMBS=MBBS=MD in North America anyways when graduating from a GEMP program. MD in Australia, India, UK and other countries using this model is associated with a higher research degree and can generally be considered the medical equivalent to a PhD.

Housing
**Options include living on campus or off campus (obviously!) or special housing located at the medical center**

Deirdre Jordan Village - on campus (recommended by several current Flinderst students)
  • Fully furnished townhouse style, self-catered accommodations usually housing senior students
  • Older units hold 2-3 students while newer buildings house up to 5 student per house
  • Upper level units have a balcony; lower level units have a patio (beers on the patio!)
  • "common living/dining area, a fully equipped kitchen, bathroom & toilet facilities, secure storage space for each resident, very generous desks, study chairs and a single bed in bedrooms as well as individual telephones and data connections. All new units have airconditioning in the common areas."
  • Very close to the medical school (~10minutes) and some of the newer buildings are very nice.
  • Cost: $1660 per quarter = $3320 per semester. If you choose to stay only one semester then there is a surcharge of $240 plus your entire semester is to be paid in advance. There is a $350 bond included in the cost for all terms of stay. Laundry facilities are coin operated (except if you live in the older townhouses where you get a free washing machine; thanks to Raigon)
  • http://www.flinders.edu.au/housing/on-campus/deirdre-jordan-village/

FMC Flats (on campus)
  • Must be a medical student, visiting elective student or staff to be eligible
  • Located 400m south of FMC
  • Fully furnished single bedroom bedsits or 2-3 bedroom flats available (demand for 2-3 bedroom flats is very high) – additional furniture is allowed provided it does not cause damage
  • Facilities and amenities are almost identical to Deirdre Jordan Village
  • Cost: Bedsit ($273/fortnight); Flat ($483/fortnight) – all prices do not include GST

Private Housing (off-campus)
  • http://rent.flinders.edu.au/accommodation/ - great website from Flinders university itself that allows landlords to list their properties for rent. Can filter searches by price, distance from campus, neighbourhood and type of housing (ie. 1BR, studio, etc) - thanks to Astrokitty for the link
  • Prices for all listings are PER WEEK (very confusing from North America where prices are quoted per month). Keep that in mind and also factor in that some places include utilities in the per week cost

University Hall (on campus)
  • Meant more for undergrads and have dorm-style housing. I didn't look into this at all.
  • http://www.flinders.edu.au/housing/on-campus/university-hall/

Internet
  • Internet in Australia is essentially pay per use (you pay for how much you download/upload)
  • If you are connected to the medical school network on level 5 in the FMC internet usage is unlimited (ADSL2+)...so stay later to download the newest episodes of Entourage and House on the school's bandwidth allowance
  • TPG (local provider) provides unlimited ADSL2 service for those staying off campus; service is $59.90 per month with a phone line included. Download speeds range from ~700-800kb/s and the connection can be shared between several students sharing accommodation. TPG can be set up in Deirdre Jordan Village for those sharing a townhouse (thanks to Cosycactus for this info)
  • Those staying in on campus accommodations can purchase an internet card ($49) that gives them 30GB of internet (not sure if this is per month/per semester/per year)*****

***Disclaimer***
The information above IS NOT my own opinion. It is based on information that I have compiled through various conversation with current students as well as recent graduates of the program and Faculty through the admissions process. This is very Adelaide specific and I have not included anything regarding internships/visas/tsunamis or other terrifying things...JUST YET.

My aim in writing this was to have kind of a central location where students could come and look something up instead of sifting through 50pgs of a thread trying to find the information. That way we can also just direct people to this thread when they have a question instead of being an @$$ and saying "use the search function"...although sometimes that is justified.

If you have anything I should include PLEASE PM ME the info so that we can keep the thread info in one place. If we want to discuss stuff underneath that's totally cool but I just mean in terms of keeping one MASTER document with all the info, PM me and I'll add it into the thread asap. Don't worry, I'll credit you with the info where I can :D

Finally a BIG thanks to everyone that has helped contribute and advised me. I look forward to meeting all of you and my fellow classmates in February 2012!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no personal statement but I did have to get both an academic and person reference for Flinders res, yes. $45 app fee

Members don't see this ad :)
Right I remember that now. I applied online so I don't know the process with that form.

My application status still says incomplete though...despite filling out all the fields and paying the $45...anyone else experience that?

Yes I have. The website doesn't have many pictures though.

message Raigon and ask him about the FMC flats. I think he had stayed in them initially but as far as I remember he moved out shortly after into temporary accommodation elsewhere.

I applied for DJ village. I would imagine there are grocery stores nearby, there seems like there's a mall not far from campus.

well do you want to be in a dorm with partying undergrads or in a apartment-style house with older students.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,

first of all, thank you for compiling all the information! you did a very good job rayjay!.
I've also been accepted at Flinders, not a undergrad student tho, but MSc..and I would say that worked in my favour (20 international students got accepted? how many applied do you know that?)
Were you able to find other costs (other than tuition, like textbooks, equipments and such), it's just really hard for me to decide because of the scary internship situation and costs...I already have a significant amount of student debt and I will not be able to enjoy life and all it has to offer until I'm in 40s and its scary to think that and now that I realize it, that might be true unless I win lottery of course. Anyways, what was the huge deciding factor for you rayjay and canuck to go to Flinders?

And I'm also curious about you stats and what you guys will be up to until feb :p

Last edited:
hello,

first of all, thank you for compiling all the information! you did a very good job rayjay!.
I've also been accepted at Flinders, not a undergrad student tho, but MSc..and I would say that worked in my favour (20 international students got accepted? how many applied do you know that?)
Were you able to find other costs (other than tuition, like textbooks, equipments and such), it's just really hard for me to decide because of the scary internship situation and costs...I already have a significant amount of student debt and I will not be able to enjoy life and all it has to offer until I'm in 40s and its scary to think that and now that I realize it, that might be true unless I win lottery of course. Anyways, what was the huge deciding factor for you rayjay and canuck to go to Flinders?

And I'm also curious about you stats and what you guys will be up to until feb :p

Yeah, what are my options if I go to Flinders, get a degree, and then don't find an internship? (I'm from the US). I'd be more than willing to go pretty much anywhere in Australia, or, if I must, the world, to do my internship and specialization, but I don't want to be stuck with $300k of debt and no job.

I'm an MSc student as well! I'll basically be doing that till I start at Flinders but I should be done in the next few months and then I plan on doing much of what Canuck mentioned...vegging out, getting fat, doing nothing at all and letting my parents pay for my food and board while I mentally prepare myself for the rigours of med school :D

My deciding factors. I did A LOT of research into this. I've actually been looking at and following Australian schools as a viable alternative to staying local (Canada) since my third year of undergrad when I realized I didn't have the ridiculous GPA that UBC seems to require for acceptance.

1. yes the internship situation is scary and I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums that will freak you out. That being said there are also great resources like Redshifteffect (attending in Aus), Pitman (attending in Aus) and Raigon (current Flinders student, MS-1). My decision to choose Flinders was based on the fact that almost all their international grads have gotten internship spots.
Source:
- two class of 2010 Flinders students (both Canadians) who got internship in Adelaide
- Dr. Edwards sent me an email with rough stats which I will try and find. He has been very open and honest about everything throughout my multi-year correspondence with him and I have little reason to believe he's lying.
- Spoke with various students that I know at UQ and USyd who are freaking the #@(* out about internship spots in QLD and NSW but have heard good things about the situation in SA
- My interview offer from USyd came with a letter attached from the dean saying that internship was not guaranteed for internationals...that put me off right away

2. Flinders' reputation. No they are not a Top50 school in international rankings which is why when I say that's where I'm going the first response is usually "oh I've never heard of that. Where is Adelaide?" However as Canuck mentioned they have the longest running GEMP program (first one of it's kind in Aus) in Australia and used* to have partnerships with Columbia (NYC, not the country) for electives. I figured that already speaks volumes of it's calibre

3. Cost. Flinders as Canuck mentioned is one of the few (maybe only that I know of) schools that has fixed tuition. I have been quoted $186,000 in tuition (not books, etc.) and that will not increase for the next four years. UQ and USyd adjust for inflation and that can add a significant amount of money on when it's a percentage of 50k. Even 1% increase is a lot. I don't know how much books, supplies, etc. cost but Raigon did mention that students get access to several gigs worth of digital textbooks courtesy of the FMSS over there. That, and most textbooks are becoming digital, I have an iPad...it shouldn't be too bad. Supplies like stethoscopes etc. Raigon mentioned have huge discounts at the beginning of the year but I might just buy those things in NA and bring them over. Apparently you don't need to buy your own stuff like that till second year but I might be mistaken.
Tuition is only $46k which is a lot...but a FAR cry from the $60k you're spending at Melbourne and Usyd

4. Adelaide. Small city yes, but also cost of living is cheaper (relatively). Australia in general is more expensive for people coming from North America (so I'm told). Taking cost of living into account is a really important issue IMO and Sydney and Melbourne, although glamorous and fun, will NOT be cheap. My friend just spend 4 months in Melb on exchange and she was shocked at how pricey things are.

So to summarize:
- cheap(er) tuition and cost of living
- longstanding history with GEMP curriculum
- better shot at landing an internship position post-grad

Flinders grad med actually started in 1976. The First Graduate ( simply because he was the first one to be awarded the degree in the first cohort in graduating in 1979) is an emergency physician ( and professor ) who is just named australia's chief medical officer.

You shouldn't be pigging out. Medical school here isn't that tough until year 3. But i highly recommend u read the following books ( and maybe get them over in Canada cos its wayyy cheaper) and you will have an(much) easier time.

- Lily's pathiophysiology of heart disease
- Janeway immunology or some other similar text ( this is really important b/c for reasons one way or another, immunology is a difficult subject and the teaching here isn't all that good. Granted the exam questions on immunology is pretty basic, but still it's good to read up more and spare the personal anguish of finishing semester one without good immunology knowledge)
- A beginner guide to anemia ( throw out the bits on leukemia).
and if you are adventurous , take in some on respiration and renal.

Buy your stethoscope from amazon. A cardio 3 goes for $160 on amazon while it goes for $350 here. The typical standard litthman classic SE 2 goes for $70-$80 on amazon while during the 1 day sale period, the bookshop sells it at $99 AFTER discount.

The internship situation....well, as of current, international students can't get a spot at the major hospitals ( namely FMC and royal adelaide hospital), where the exposure is definitely better since they are tertiary level hospital. We are pretty much regaled to smaller ones ( maybe 50-100 beds) hospitals like queen elizabeth, repats hospital, etc. So yes, maybe all internationals get a spot, but what kind of spots? Typically the hospital u intern in takes you in for a RMO position where u gather LORs over the next 1-2 years for admission to training programs. And all the big names are in FMC or RAH. You might be better off studying for the USMLEs and going to a community hospital in the US where with a decent Step 2 and LOR during ur M4, u can probably get into IM, peds, or even general surgery.

Just some food for though.

Couldnt you apply to FMC or RAH after your first intern year? By then, you could apply for a PR card.

yes, same as you can apply to King Alfred hospital in Melbourne, BUT will you get a spot? I think you are missing the key point of what i am saying. Some interns at FMC and RAH missed out on a RMO contract b/c the demand is low and they failed to made the grade. Do you think you can get a place at FMC and RAH if you come from somewhere else?

PR is PR, it's never as good as a citizenship. And a naturalized citizen is never as good as an indigenous one. When training spots are tight due to an overcrowded pool of medical graduates, you can bet that between a PR and a citizen, it will go to a citizen...b/c face it, the PR have a high tendency to fly the coop, whereas the made, born, breed auzzie is very much likely to stay and contribute.

This is the stark reality that's gonna be facing you guys..I might be painting a bleaker picture than what might actually result, but it might well be what it is going to be.

hey cosycactus, thanks for your input. Just curious, are you aussie?

Come to think of it, I guess I would have to agree with cosycatus because in reality, hospitals would be more comfortable with hiring an Australian in any way even if PR equals to citizenship legally. Officially, they would say that they will not discriminate anyone, but it could be way different in the real world..I mean, sexism is still there too

I think its naive to think that internationals will be treated fairly.

Why is everyone worrying about internships already? This is a time to enjoy, just knowing that you got accepted and will be a doctor in four years! If you are motivated enough and do well in school, you should be able to secure an internship/ US residency or whatever... So everyone stop stressing and go have a good time!

...And who among you are absolutely 100 percent going to Flinders? I'm super stoked to meet you all and can't wait until February!!

I was just wondering if someone could provide a realistic budget studying at Flinders.
I know the annual tuition is 46,600 and that is not including books, living, materials and equipments. Aside from living expenses (provided that its 600/month wasn't it? in one of the residences? and foods not ridiculously expensive? similar to Canadian cost of living?) what other expenses would incur while at school and how much (how much would textbooks and materials would total up to?)

and Line of credit, who did you go with and was is quick or difficult and took over a month (as 'rejected' said in his blog)

Last edited:
Why is everyone worrying about internships already?

Because at the end of the day you're spending close to $0.25M to study somewhere for four years without a guarantee of having a job in that field to pay back the loan. From a Canadian perspective it is very difficult to land a residency back home and with the growing number of schools opening up in the states and the added competition from island schools, it's not going to be that much easier for residency positions in the US in 2016 either. It's something you have to consider.

I think there are about 4 people who are confirmed as going on this thread, not sure about where everyone's from though...

I was just wondering if someone could provide a realistic budget studying at Flinders.

I just got my "Appendix C" filled out from Flinders for the BC student loans process. They put down the annual tuition and OSHC (which are stated in your offer letter) but they also put down around $1500-2000 (I can't remember the exact figure) for materials/books, etc. I'm not too worried about those costs, you can usually get things cheaper in NA and find digital copies of books. For those of you who are Canadian, I'm getting my hands on a 2010 digital copy of Toronto Notes (the Canadian medical student bible).

Edit: Forgot to mention, I got my LOC through RBC although I'm holding off on it till my provincial student loans come through (the guy at RBC said sometimes having a LOC beforehand can affect the assessment amount). It was pretty painless though. As long as you walk in with the COE document Flinders gives you, it's pretty much a guarantee but since you are leaving the country you need a co-signer if you want more than the $150k...at least that's what my guy said too. Oh, RBC also offer PRIME as opposed to PRIME + 1 like some other banks which really swayed my decision.

Last edited:
So I got my acceptance a few weeks back, trying to work out the funds to accept the offer. Anyone from McGill or Montreal accepted and going?

I know the annual tuition is 46,600 and that is not including books, living, materials and equipments. Aside from living expenses (provided that its 600/month wasn't it? in one of the residences? and foods not ridiculously expensive? similar to Canadian cost of living?) what other expenses would incur while at school and how much (how much would textbooks and materials would total up to?)

and Line of credit, who did you go with and was is quick or difficult and took over a month (as 'rejected' said in his blog)

you can do without textbooks. Just borrow from the library on a 7 day loan, read the relevant chapter and return it. I've friends who buy entire books for just a chapter....and i go..???

Coffee cost might kill you. Good Hudson coffee goes for $4.5. I just made my own and bring it in a thermos after spending close to $30 on coffee the first week.
Phone plan. I suggest u go for TPG.com. Dun buy those prepaid from vondafone , optus etc. TPG has a pay as u go plan that cost $1 in subscription per month with each phone call at $0.2 for a min and sms at $0.1 each. They also throw in 50 meg of free data. Very good for light users like me.

For first years, there's a variety of clubs to sign up for..around $60 in total. Sign up for surgical society cos they have a variety of function around the year with buffet throw in whereby u practically get back more than ur $$ in food.

There's also med camp, med ball...about $60 and $80 bucks each.

Printing cost of notes will kill you. My suggestion is to buy a laser printer here which i did ( $57 for a samsung, with generic toner at $60 good for 1500 pages). Else it's 11c per page and on a busy week, u get maybe 100 pages of lecture notes, and maybe a lot more in reference readings.

other than that, it's food and other entertainment.

thank you rayjay and cosycats :love: I would really like to meet you guys in person!! and thank personally for all the info :)

Tricky though....

although I applied and got acceptance from Flinders, I'm still waiting to hear from States and am working on app to Canada.
While I know my chances are slim, there's a tiny part of me that says I will go to States or Canada if accepted rather than Australia (too far from home.... and livings too expensive too; at least in states, I can get by $25/week on grocery (like with essentials; milk, egg, bread, veggy, fruits from farmer's market), but meanwhile, I don't want to lose my spot if it doesn't work out. I don't want to waste another year looking for temporary job which I will not even be considered (contrary to my belief that I will get a good job right away, with MSc under my belt, my life has proved otherwise :mad:)

So, my parents want me to accept and deposit close to 5000, as to not to lose my spot and buy time until I hear from states, at least... but, mean while I also need to search for LOC without knowing for sure I will attend flinders....

I wonder if I can apply for provincial student aid and change later....?

You're welcome. I'd like to point out I'm not a student yet...I've just talked to a good amount of people from Flinders and from Adelaide itself so I've been gathering info.

Yeah I hear you on the whole deposit thing; it's a tough call. There is no use waiting on Canadian schools. Even if you did get accepted, you wouldn't hear about an interview till Jan/Feb and wouldn't know if you were accepted till May at which point Aussie semester would be wrapping up. US schools you'll probably hear from in Nov/Dec (if I remember correctly and assuming you applied early).

Either way it's a risk but $5000 in the grand scheme of things (especially if you are applying to the US/Aus) is not a huge risk to take to secure your future. That's only the first deposit, when is the second deposit due? Maybe pay the first one and if you don't hear from US schools pay the second one.

Do you think its a good idea to perhaps compile a list of things to bring, current student's input would also be appreciated (things they forgot to bring but when they had etc hahah) I read from forum that things are generally much more expensive down there, but we have a limit on how much we can bring from NA....

Also, the voltage is different so it should be taken into consideration right?

Budget so far:
Tuition: 46, 600 (incl. insurance and other student fees)
Lodging: ?

@um
to add to your budget, this is what the school sent on my CoA..
Living allowance $18,000.00 Overseas health cover $1,917.00 Books, supplies. Equipment $1,250.00 Purchase of personal computer $1,200.00
Personally I think the living allowance is pretty liberal. When I studied in Perth, I spent WAY less than that.
And yes, the voltage is different.. I purchased just an adapter the first time I studied in Australia and fried several appliances (straightener, blow dryer, etc...) before I realized that an adapter does not equal a converter.. So buy one before you go, they are much cheaper in the US than australia...

I'm also curious to hear from current students on the things they wish they had brought. It's traumatizing just to think of bringing only 2 suitcases..

to add to your budget, this is what the school sent on my CoA.

Do you know which email that was in? Was it your acceptance letter or the email where they included your CoE for visa stuff? I can't find that, wish I'd seen it though.

Yeah I agree about the living expenses thing. I'm sure you can be way more frugal with your spending (sharing housing, not eating out as much, etc.) and spend less than that.

@Um: If you go to the Flinders housing website there is a link in there that shows housing off campus. It is basically a listing database (prices PER WEEK) that shows any housing listings, their neighbourhood and their proximity to the campus. Some have pictures but most don't. It's a good way to see what you can get for what price and use that as a baseline. Or you can do like Putney, myself and others have done and apply for on-campus housing and then decide if you want to move out. On campus housing has their exact prices listed on the website.

Yeah it was sent from the financial aid person and it just was an attachment.. showed costs and then my eligibility for Stafford loans. Maybe you didn't receive one because you aren't applying for direct loans?

if you are a guy and do not mind wearing jeans and polo t, dun bring any!
They go for cheap at K mart ~ 20 for jeans and 10 bucks for polo. It doesn't get all that cold compared to canada, so i guess a good jacket will do.
Maybe just 1 or 2 formal for ward rounds and all.
If you are a gal, better bring all you can cos the shopping here for gals is a bit lacking.
Lappies are not expensive here either. If you have a old lappie, i suggest u bring that and along the way, pick up one from the local electronic store. I say $500 can get u a basic I3 with 15.6 inch with in store warranty for 2 more years around $100. Up to 800 and u can get one with dedicated graphics...good for diablo 3 that is coming out...:laugh:

$18K pa is very liberal. The single most expensive expenditure will be lodging.
When u check out the room via the "flinders private accomdation" webby, be sure to check if you are sharing the house with the landlord or not. With landlords, u are basically confined to your room since you can't really be cooking and hanging out in the living room. But they tend to be cheaper.
Tenant only houses are usually more expensive, but more freedom ( and possibly arguements :mad:).
Electricity is also a big concern here. The house here are built very poorly, so during winter, you can really spend quite a bit on heating. So tenant only house that is all inclusive of electricity is really attractive.
another thing is the contract period. As some of you folks will be headed home come Dec and return in early Feb, there's a 2 mths dead rent if you take out a yearly contract. So nego for a 10 month contract ( so where do i store my stuff then? well, keep in car boot if u buy a car, store at frens house, or simply rent commerical storage space)

hope the above help....no one ever posted this information

thanks cosycatus!

I was just wondering is there bus that connects airport -- Flinders?
Considering significant number of international students, I thought there might be.
Also does the student fee includes transportation? (bus)

And what does health insurance like ?(80% discount prescription and free clinic visit?)

I've been just assuming all these things (I have been an international student before) but I realized it might be different in OZ.

Thanks!

If you are asking about the bus to get from the airport to campus when you first arrive, the international office arranges a pickup from bus/train station when you first arrive to get you settled, that was in a slew of emails form the international office I got AFTER I paid both deposits in which they tried to convince me to accept Flinders...:confused:

From what I read the OSHC covers all fees related to seeing a physician and emergency treatment but I couldn't figure out what the prescription cover was. I also couldn't find anything to indicate that it covers dental/optical...but that's where my annual trips back to the True North will come in handy.

yes, pls arrange for the international student office to pick you up. It's free. I took a short cab ride and it cos me $30.

Student fee does not cover bus rides. Student concession tickets cost $15.1 for 10 rides. There is a cheaper $9.1 for 10 rides from 9am to 3pm of weekdays. Each trip last u 2 hours. This means that you can take a bus ride to the shopping center ( eg 15 mins), shop for 1 hour and hop onto the bus again just on the cost of a single trip.

OSHC does not cover dental, that i am sure, but I'm rather hazy about what it provide exactly. Visiting GPs will be free, but u probably have to get your own prescription from the pharmacy. I've heard that ambulance cost $400 per ride, unless u buy into an ambulance insurance of $10-$15 per year ( this is unconfirmed information, do not quote me on this)

Thanks guys, you guys are a wealth of information.

edit information about the school. The school increased its international student acceptance from 19 to 20-24.

I've heard that ambulance cost $400 per ride, unless u buy into an ambulance insurance of $10-$15 per year ( this is unconfirmed information, do not quote me on this)

A trip in an Emergency Ambulance actually costs around $800 now and if you call an ambulance and they treat you on scene and don't transport you, it will cost $150. Ambulance cover is $67 for singles (30c a day) and you will incur no costs if you have cover.

But ambulance cover is free if you volunteer with the service like me
tongue.gif
But why not? It's good exposure for those wanting to get into EM :)

But ambulance cover is free if you volunteer with the service like me

That's a really cool idea. I'm sure concerned about how much time it would take away from studies; would it? Or can you kind of decide how much time you are going to put in to work around your schedule? I've always wanted to do that in Vancouver and despite knowing a lot of paramedics here, it's tough to do because of regulations and short-staffing from budget cuts.

Hello everyone I accepted Flinders offer too. Just saying hi, and thanks rayjay and everyone who contributed for the info. I'm from Singapore. Are you all staying in DJ village?

That's a really cool idea. I'm sure concerned about how much time it would take away from studies; would it? Or can you kind of decide how much time you are going to put in to work around your schedule? I've always wanted to do that in Vancouver and despite knowing a lot of paramedics here, it's tough to do because of regulations and short-staffing from budget cuts.

It's basically training every week and 3-4 shifts a month, but they understand if you can't do a string of shifts because of exams. Basically as long as you are on the roster a fair bit and don't disappear as soon as you get your qualification, they are happy :) I don't always go to training (if I have other things on like placement etc). Its a bit different if you are studying something medical, you aren't going to miss much at training that is mostly aimed at people with no medical knowledge.

Hello everyone I accepted Flinders offer too. Just saying hi, and thanks rayjay and everyone who contributed for the info. I'm from Singapore. Are you all staying in DJ village?

Lol if Flinders housing gets their @$$ in gear then yes. I don't even want to begin describing the nightmare that was trying to get an application in, Putney knows my sorrows there :p

Now that my application is complete, I won't know till December I guess...

Don't know why you guys are worried about internships...I work at the RAH and there are heaps of international doctors working there. We even had an English med student who had come all the way from England to do a 4 week placement in our ED because she was interested in trauma and she couldn't do it in England!

Don't know why you guys are worried about internships...I work at the RAH and there are heaps of international doctors working there. We even had an English med student who had come all the way from England to do a 4 week placement in our ED because she was interested in trauma and she couldn't do it in England!

there is a difference between a rotation and internship.
there is also a difference between international, qualified and trained doctors and fresh out of medical school graduates. Well trained doctors are in demand anywhere...interns aren't really. And the internship situation in Australia isn't as simple as what you think it is. There is a gross mismatch between common wealth and state expectations as well as what the health system can handle.

And there is lastly, a big difference between what a paramedic can do and what a medical student can do. A year 1 or 2 medical student can at max, attempt CPR and maybe use a defibrillator. That's it. The role of the doc and other allied health professional are also vastly different. The roles of different types of doctors also vastly differ. In short, the doc figure out what's wrong and how to deal with it. 90% of the actions needed to deal with the problem resides with allied health professions, notable exception being when surgery is prescribed. Between a trained paramedic and any other doctor ( except an EM certified doc, or maybe an anesthetist who can manage my airway ), i rather have the paramedic attend to me straight after an accident. Imagine what a dermatologist or a psychiatrist can do

Derm " my....your burns look bad...maybe i can fix u up with some skin graft"
me : WTF, i CAN'T BREATH, my heart is beating 300 time a minute, fix that first will ya ? "
Derm " er..what? "

Psych " meet me at 3pm 2 weeks later in my office " and flick his business card on me as he strolls off " and we can discuss this traumatic event of yours...."

lol...sry but I laughed as I imagined it.

Wow, it has been a while. Hello everyone, It's already end of September. Can't believe it, it flew by fast..
Anyways... I was wondering which LOC is best for Canadians studying med at Flinders. I know someone in Queensland med getting LOC from TD Prime +1% (I think) for loan of 200,000

Do we get the same deal as med students in Canada (Rate and extra VIP care)? is cosigners really necessary? If you have any information, please share them. I was rummaging through PM101 and realized the situation might be different for IMG students.
:confused:
Also, anyone applied for OSAP? how much can you get?

Thanks in advance

I got pre-approved for an RBC loan of 150k at prime and up to 200k if my dad co-signs the loan. It's not as "automatic" as it is for students studying within Canada. There are some forms that need filling out but I was assured it's a relatively painless process.

The loan guy held off from actually processing the loan though until my BC student loan gets assessed. He didn't do a credit check or anything on me when he offered me those conditions so I am not sure if it was because I knew a guy who was getting the same conditions and thats why I was given them or if that is an RBC policy.

Anyways when I go in to finalize it I'll need my CoE document number and some other stuff to get it sorted. I didn't look into anyone else because of the interest rate RBC was giving me but TD, Scotia both do prime+1 as far as he knew.

When do we get our CoE anyways? do we get them when we pay the tuition in full? :confused: