First Year Med Student with Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikeMedStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started out medical school about 7 weeks ago and opthalmology is a specialty that really interests me, among others. I know that it tends to be competitive, so I thought I'd ask you all what I should do between now and my fourth year to give myself a good shot to go where I want. I'm currently attending St. Louis University School of Medicine. The nice thing about SLU is that it has an institute (the Anheuser-Busch Institute) devoted entirely to dermatology and opthalmology giving me good opportunities for summer research and such. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

:D ****EDITTED TO REFLECT CORRECTIONS BELOW**** :D

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do well in medical school.

2) Do well on the USMLE.

3) Participate in ophthalmology research early.

4) Volunteer your time to good causes.

5) Do ophthalmology electives and obtain strong letters of support.

PikeMedStudent said:
I just started out medical school about 7 weeks ago and opthamology is a specialty that really interests me, among others. I know that it tends to be competitive, so I thought I'd ask you all what I should do between now and my fourth year to give myself a good shot to go where I want. I'm currently attending St. Louis University School of Medicine. The nice thing about SLU is that it has an institute (the Anheuser-Busch Institute) devoted entirely to dermatology and opthamology giving me good opportunities for summer research and such. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
1. learn the correct speeling :laugh: , I mean spelling of "ophthalmology"
2. get good grades and USMLE scores
3. be nice, not nasty, even to people that you think can't help you
4. connections help but are not essential
5. research helps but is not essential
6. make sure you have stereopsis and steady hands. If not, consider dermatology

Members don't see this ad :)
Visioncam said:
1. learn the correct speeling :laugh: , I mean spelling of "ophthalmology"

I was going to say something, but I decided to not make the original poster feel bad. ;)

Spelling is important. I'm reviewing applications now and will not vote 'yes' for interview if ophthalmology is incorrectly spelled.

Thanks guys, even for the spelling help :p . I'm going on little sleep and I've been reviewing the head and neck anatomy like crazy for my exam on thursday. Thus, my message board spelling kinda took a nosedive :oops:. Also, what kind of boards score do you think I need to look at getting to be competitive?

PikeMedStudent said:
Also, what kind of boards score do you think I need to look at getting to be competitive?

From the SF-Match site, average step 1 scores for people who matched last year was 228. Unmatched ave was 218.

As a point of reference, passing for step 1 is 182, ave is 217 with standard deviation of 17 for my exam, I believe.

Interpret them however you feel appropriate. Like the above posts said, it's a total package when it comes to applying for any speciality.

PikeMedStudent said:
Thanks guys, even for the spelling help :p . I'm going on little sleep and I've been reviewing the head and neck anatomy like crazy for my exam on thursday. Thus, my message board spelling kinda took a nosedive :oops:. Also, what kind of boards score do you think I need to look at getting to be competitive?

Some programs value board scores more than others. It's a convenient and easy way to screen 400 applicants.

IMHO:

To be considered, above 200.

To be acceptable, above the average, ~215.

To be competitive, above 230.

To be outstanding, above 250.

Visioncam said:
This is probably true but I'm not sure it's useful. Some residents are tricky, lazy, and/or clumsy. There isn't an easy way to gauge those traits. Some ophthalmology residents have very poor work ethic compared to some surgical fields like ortho.

I agree with you. I don't think the USMLE score is a good predictor for 'good' residents.

When I review applications, I do the following:

1) Glance at the USMLE score. If it's above 200, then I proceed. If it's below 200, then I look for a good reason to review the application.

2) Read the personal statement carefully.

3) Read the LORs.

4) Look at extracurricular, honors, clerkship grades, and research.

5) Glance at college grades.

I do this for every applicant.

What type of emphasis is placed on college grades? I see it is nearly on the bottom of your list. I have about two grades which I wish I could take back but unfortunately I cannot. Would you ever deny an interview on that basis? Thanks.

flipmode said:
What type of emphasis is placed on college grades? I see it is nearly on the bottom of your list. I have about two grades which I wish I could take back but unfortunately I cannot. Would you ever deny an interview on that basis? Thanks.

If there are numerous D's, then it may make a difference when deciding between two applicants. On the other hand, if the college grades are outstanding, then it may help a little.

I know that this has been asked before, but I am going to ask it again. What are competitive first and second year grades for a person interested in ophthalmology? What would be a good ratio in terms of passes, high passes, and honors? Any suggestions?

Andrew_Doan said:
If there are numerous D's, then it may make a difference when deciding between two applicants. On the other hand, if the college grades are outstanding, then it may help a little.

I'm surprised this is an issue at all. I would imagine that if an applicant had numerous Ds, they wouldn't have been admitted to medical school.

Jenny