First Year Large Animal Anatomy Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSquirtles

UGA CVM Class of 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books are you guys using for large animal anatomy? I'm at UGA and we are using Rooney's Guide to Dissection of the Horse/Ruminant.... they have the WORST pictures (and text) ever.... Does anyone know of a book with good pictures? I can't seem to find any on Amazon to speak of. I have Pasquini and Miller's, but they aren't really that great for LA, imo.

Also, just for funsies, how are your labs set up? I feel like at UGA it's kind of a cluster &%#$. We're doing horse, cow, and goat at the same time but we only get to actually dissect one species per group. Not really the best way to learn for me :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

We're using Rooney's as well and our instructor suggested that we use Dyce as a pictorial reference. Today was our first lecture of the quarter, so I couldn't tell you yet if that's working out for me or not :)

OSU is still on the quarter system for now, so we have canine fall quarter, equine winter quarter, and ruminants spring quarter. We dissect the dog and horse, but I think for the ruminant they just show us a prosected specimen.

honestly, there isn't really a good option outside of Dyce and Pasquini. Rooney was the worst anatomy guide. What did help me was the use of google images. There are some good images out there, especially at some of the other vet school websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
We use Smallwood, with Dyce as recommended.

BUY PASQUINI. No vet professor will recc it, but it is the best for all species. I think they hate it b/c he teaches in the Carribean, plus there are a "few" misnomers. But in the end it is the underground book all vet students have. Plus it has cool cartoons. Dyce is a waste of $.

Just my 2 cents worth. :cool:

Also the European books on equine and bovine are pretty good if you can find them here. I actually have both, but did not use them this semester.

We've already finished up with the large animal anatomy stuff here, and the only thing that got me thru was Dyce. If you're a good reader, I'd definitely recommend reading through Dyce and taking notes...that was a big part of how I studied for our final.

Have you checked your school's library? We use Dyce, too, and also pretty much everyone has Pasquini. Some of our library books have nice big pictures, though. For our last section last semester, I just asked one of the professors if she had a great book to reccomend and she told me which would be best to check out of the library. Maybe one of your professors would be that helpful, too?

As far as teaching anatomy, we go by sections. So, for example, we did reproductive anatomy using the dog as our model. Then, after we went over everything on the dog, we moved on to large animals where it sounds like we're the same as you with each group getting a horse, cow, or goat. We usually have some lab time to walk around and review the species not at our table.

I fished out or syllabi.

Smallwood is our primary text (and instructor)

Recommended include:

1) Ellenberger and Baum
2) Nickel, Schummuer, Seiferle, Sack
3) Dyce, Sack, Wensing
4) McCracken, Kainer, Spurgeon

we also have Pasquini from the previous semester. pretty much every book available since the 70's is either in the anatomy lab or in our library. Including german photographic guides on fresh cadavers. Have to admit, those are lovely, though I can't really imagine buying them (they are longer and wider than normal text books, kind of like the oversize coffee table books.)

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! I'll check those out!

I hate Dyce's anatomy book with a passion... stupid thing reads like stereo instructions.

Funny you said that about the Dyce anatomy book! I love it becasue it is so straightforward. I had to pair it with the Koenig (german book) which is WAAAY to prolix and anal retentive.. so the Dyce is actually a nice change.

I actually really liked the Popesko Atlas for pictures. :love: Expensive as heck but so worth it!

I second the Popesko atlas. Unfortunately it is out of print, but it is by far the best for the nitty-gritty of large animal anatomy. I just Googled it yesterday and there are a couple of downloads of the Spanish version available. Since so much of anatomy is Latin, it's worth a look. Your school library may have a copy -- that's where I found the copy I used.

If you are looking for pictures take a look at Koenig - its very expensive though of course and maybe out of print? I only know what I see of it from students who scan pages and send it out.

Otherwise, yes Dyce can be dry - DEF not the best for pictures but its the only book with nice neat comparative anatomy of every species.

I think my favorite books with great pictures and a nice short paragraph about the important things is Budras. They are by species only and are about 120 bucks each I think. I only have the canine one but I borrowed the horse one and nothing was more helpful for the limbs! Hope this helps - PBL-er here so we are always finding our own way :)

Sorry to hear the Popesko is out of print. I found it wiithout problem at the local bookstore here in Italy last year... I am also shoked about the Koenig, though in english it might have been a little better... the italian translation was jibberish... and I actually didin't love the pictures because they were atctual pictures and very flat especially for the skull.
I would go on amazon/ebay... I had found the Popesko there last year but the price was higher than the Italian price (180 euros ~ 270 bucks) so I just bought it here. It's so darn heavy too, so bringing it back ot the US when I am done will suck... but it has latin names on it as well, so it is quite international