First practice test, how did I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmOMR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I took the first practice DAT from Kaplan. I didnt study or anything, I just wanted to see what I would get. Here are my scores:

NS:12
-Bio:12 :rolleyes:
-Chem:14 :mad:
-Orgo:10 :laugh:

RC: 18 :D
QR: 16 :(
PAT: 16 :sleep:

Im a sophomore, but I havent taken Organic yet and the Orgo questions seemed as if they were written in another language. The Bio I expected to be low because I havent taken any Bio since Senior year in High school, but I expect that to raise dramatically after I start studying. The Chem I was dissapointed with, Im in chem now, but I think I just choked on the Chem part. I was happy with the RC part, because I thought that was probably the hardest part. QR I was a little upset with because Im in a physics class that requires you to do all of the math in your head, so I thought I should have done better. The PAT was so so, I think it could definatly be better with some more practice with those types of problems.

What do you guys think for not studying, not taking orgo yet, and not taking any Bio for 2 years? I plan on taking the real test next year, possibly taking the Kaplan course.

Members don't see this ad.

tinman831 said:
Those scores are pretty good for your first time taking the exam. I remember getting single digit scores on my first DAT practice exam :scared:

Thanks for the feedback...how did you do when you took the real test?

Members don't see this ad :)
tinman831 said:
20's in all the sections but ochem :rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of ochem. :p

Thats good...yea i dont know much about Organic, but from the questions they asked, it didnt look all that fun.

When I took the Kaplan diagnostic test, without studying, I got 9's and 10's. Yeah, even on math and RC! I was like, what? I can't read or do simple math? Haha, but yeah, after some studying, I did fine. And, you're a sophomore, and you got mid-teens already! I think with some reviewing of biology and studying, and learning some PAT and DAT tricks, you will also do fine. Good luck.

Oh yeah, depending on when you're taking the DAT .. a lot of people of the forum study for about a month or two straight, then take the DAT. Kind of like cramming, but not really .. I think this works well. I don't think you should be in a rush to take the DAT since you're only a sophomore.

Missserica said:
When I took the Kaplan diagnostic test, without studying, I got 9's and 10's. Yeah, even on math and RC! I was like, what? I can't read or do simple math? Haha, but yeah, after some studying, I did fine. And, you're a sophomore, and you got mid-teens already! I think with some reviewing of biology and studying, and learning some PAT and DAT tricks, you will also do fine. Good luck.

Oh yeah, depending on when you're taking the DAT .. a lot of people of the forum study for about a month or two straight, then take the DAT. Kind of like cramming, but not really .. I think this works well. I don't think you should be in a rush to take the DAT since you're only a sophomore.

Thanks for the positive reply... I just worry because I have been wanting to be a dentist since I was young and I very well might have my uncles practice to take over so I just dont want to screw it up. Thanks again.

Chris

92CamaroLS1 said:
Well I took the first practice DAT from Kaplan. I didnt study or anything, I just wanted to see what I would get. Here are my scores:

Im a sophomore, but I havent taken Organic yet and the Orgo questions seemed as if they were written in another language. The Bio I expected to be low because I havent taken any Bio since Senior year in High school, but I expect that to raise dramatically after I start studying. The Chem I was dissapointed with, Im in chem now, but I think I just choked on the Chem part. I was happy with the RC part, because I thought that was probably the hardest part. QR I was a little upset with because Im in a physics class that requires you to do all of the math in your head, so I thought I should have done better. The PAT was so so, I think it could definatly be better with some more practice with those types of problems.

What do you guys think for not studying, not taking orgo yet, and not taking any Bio for 2 years? I plan on taking the real test next year, possibly taking the Kaplan course.

Hey I am a sophomore too and I took Kaplan's DAT CD test over winter break. I took it just for fun and I got:
(13/12/18)
RC: 11 (I skipped this section and just pressed all A's)
QR: 14 (It was harder than I expected; I am becoming calculator dependent :eek:
PAT: 18 (I thought this was the best part of the test, but everyone's saying that Kaplan's PAT section is easy comparing to the real thing)

I will be studying for the real thing this summer and hopefully be ready by next winter. Good luck to you when you get there!

coolslugs said:
Hey I am a sophomore too and I took Kaplan's DAT CD test over winter break. I took it just for fun and I got:
(13/12/18)
RC: 11 (I skipped this section and just pressed all A's)
QR: 14 (It was harder than I expected; I am becoming calculator dependent :eek:
PAT: 18 (I thought this was the best part of the test, but everyone's saying that Kaplan's PAT section is easy comparing to the real thing)

I will be studying for the real thing this summer and hopefully be ready by next winter. Good luck to you when you get there!

Not bad, good job on Orgo...it just looked like a bunch of stick figures to me, I wasnt really sure what was goin on. Good luck to you too man...may we all get into our school of choice :D .

OoOo man i FREAKED out with my scores...
wanna check it out?
when i got my kaplan practice test scores..i just started out laughing.....

Academic average: 13 :scared:
Biology: 15
GC: 13
OC: 10 :sleep:
RC: 15
QR: 12 :eek:
PAT: 21 :smuggrin:

puhaha...so yea..... i will say no more...

That Kaplan diagnostic is way harder then anything you'll see on the real DAT. THey try to scare you into thinking that you need the course. :p

beannaithe said:
That Kaplan diagnostic is way harder then anything you'll see on the real DAT. THey try to scare you into thinking that you need the course. :p

Ditto!

I am planning on taking the DAT at the end of this summer so I can have a shot (a very long shot) at 2007. By the time I take the DAT, I will only have completed Gen Chem. I and II. I haven't taken any science classes in the last 8 years, but I have started self studying. I am wondering if it is possible to get a decent score while missing Bio I and II and Orgo I and II. I took a Kaplan practice test with the following scores:

Bio: 14
Chem: 14
Orgo: 10 (I haven't even looked at this stuff)

RC: Didn't do it (but I have a JD and am usually good at this stuff)
QR: Didn't do it
PAT: 18

Any advice would be most appreciated. As a side note, I am aware that most schools won't even take me seriously because of how many classes I will be missing. However, the school I attended for undergrad and law school has admitted people in similar situations in the past, so I figure it is worth a shot.

Where did you find the practice exam? I would like to take one and see how I do. Thanks.

92CamaroLS1 said:

I got a 14 on my inital Kaplan exam. then the rest of the class I got 16's. I got a 20 overall on the final (p.s. don't sweat the reading comp. it's easier than Kaplan by a long shot)

Hey...I'm taking the Dat in july...I took the diagnostic w/ no studying and got a 16 overall. That scares me. 17 pat, 17 qr, 17 rc, 13 orgo, 13, bio, can't remember gc. I been studying since I got those scores. Some say the kaplan diagnosic is a joke compared to the real thing, and some say it's harder. I'm in organic 1 this semester, I thought I was doing okay on the organic part...but obviously not. My biology score is a very sad thing too. :( For all of you who did poorly on the diagnosic...how did you get your scores up so much for the real thing? What study materials did you find helped the most? Should I take the kaplan online course in june? Please help, I feel quite dumb.

Lets see, I took the diagnostic months ago with 0 studying and these were my scores:
Bio - 16
Ochem - 18
Genchem - 17
Ov Sci - 17
Quant - 16 :oops:
RC - 21
PAT - 25 :cool:
Ov -18

Needless to say I was pretty happy with that, especially the PAT

ariftemari said:
Where did you find the practice exam? I would like to take one and see how I do. Thanks.
go to kaplan.com and click the following headings...test preparation...graduate school...dat...learn about the tests...take a free practice test. good luck..lol