This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xcrunnerterp

Reaction score
just wanted to give a quick introduction. im an international medical student preparing for step 1. i hope to take the exam in october of this year. I started studying almost two months ago from scratch (basically), and doing my first pass of FA. I have done biochem, immune, micro so far. Anyways, after each section i have been doing usmle RX questions. I started this 'system' after completing micro. After my first pass of FA i have been only getting 25%-30% of the questions right in the micro section. I am willing to put in the extra time but I am not sure where to start. Is this normal for first pass of FA. micro i know is a dense subject, but i would like to do better. Must i do flash cards, videos, or something else? Any idea helps. I know once i get into the swing of things i will get better. Im just really discouraged about my progress. at this rate ill end up taking step 1 in two years. Please someone share their similar experiences or advice. anything helps

Members don't see this ad.

Rx is tough, especially for micro, because their categorization system is messed up. For instance, they might give you an infective endocarditis question and then ask what organism it is, which is something that you're probably more likely to learn in cardio.

That being said, 25-30% is low and is saying that something about how you're studying isn't working. Trying to learn from first aid as a primary source is not the right way to do it. Check out boards and beyond or sketchy for micro.

I recommend Sketchy Micro for micro. You're in tough chapters right now. What do you mean by first pass? Are you annotating notes? Using previous notes?

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend Sketchy Micro for micro. You're in tough chapters right now. What do you mean by first pass? Are you annotating notes? Using previous notes?
i have done sketchy micro for all of FA. first pass if FA means im going through it for the first time. and taking my own notes as i watch the videos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rx is tough, especially for micro, because their categorization system is messed up. For instance, they might give you an infective endocarditis question and then ask what organism it is, which is something that you're probably more likely to learn in cardio.

That being said, 25-30% is low and is saying that something about how you're studying isn't working. Trying to learn from first aid as a primary source is not the right way to do it. Check out boards and beyond or sketchy for micro.
i have done sketchy for micro. how i suppose my real question is how to memorize it all. what worked for pathology was rewriting my notes over and over again. but pathoma is amazing and really explained things well

i have done sketchy for micro. how i suppose my real question is how to memorize it all. what worked for pathology was rewriting my notes over and over again. but pathoma is amazing and really explained things well

Try the Zanki micro decks along with watching the videos! They're made from the videos, and will continuously remind you of what you might be forgetting.