First big purchase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but in all honesty, i just want to have a maid. i hate having a dirty place, but i hate cleaning even more. if i can no ever have to clean/ do laundry my entire life i would be set.

I don't need a live-in maid, but I wouldn't mind to hire someone to come over every other week to do the heavy cleaning. :laugh: Someone once told me that if you can earn more per hour than it will cost you to have a service done then you should just go to work and let someone else do the service. This is of course unless it's something you enjoy. We really like DIY home projects and even though we can afford to hire stuff out we try to do everything we can ourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

I think some of you have some misconceptions about how much pharmacists make. I know a lot of recent grads who barely have enough money to pay all their bills. In fact a lot of them have 2 jobs. A lot of students just pay off loans after they graduate, which i can understand but, those rates are locked. If you have your loan locked at a good rate then why not buy a house. It takes about 30 years to pay one off you might as well get started.

I think some of you have some misconceptions about how much pharmacists make. I know a lot of recent grads who barely have enough money to pay all their bills. In fact a lot of them have 2 jobs. A lot of students just pay off loans after they graduate, which i can understand but, those rates are locked. If you have your loan locked at a good rate then why not buy a house. It takes about 30 years to pay one off you might as well get started.

Seriously 30 years ? I thought that's only for people with HS/BS degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you intent on purchasing a plasma or LCD TV, please be advised that they are decidedly bourgeois. Buy a projector and enjoy watching your films on an entire wall, as opposed to a 40 or 50 inch screen. And, enjoy saving thousands, as quality projectors are available for as little as $600.

(Just think what a nice watch you could buy with the surplus cash. :D)

I know a lot of recent grads who barely have enough money to pay all their bills. In fact a lot of them have 2 jobs.

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but if you know a lot of grads that can barely pay their bills making 100K/year I think you'd better move. :laugh:

Seriously, could you explain a little more about their situation? I have known some pharmacists who have greatly overspent and then have had trouble because they ran up huge credit card bills, got the fanciest new cars and bought a house that was well over their price range... with that being said, this is NOT commonplace among the pharmacists I know at all. I would guess that 95% of the pharmacists I know are living a very comfortable life. I wouldn't go as far as to say "filthy rich", but definitely comfortable.

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but if you know a lot of grads that can barely pay their bills making 100K/year I think you'd better move. :laugh:

Seriously, could you explain a little more about their situation? I have known some pharmacists who have greatly overspent and then have had trouble because they ran up huge credit card bills, got the fanciest new cars and bought a house that was well over their price range... with that being said, this is NOT commonplace among the pharmacists I know at all. I would guess that 95% of the pharmacists I know are living a very comfortable life. I wouldn't go as far as to say "filthy rich", but definitely comfortable.

Yeah I'm not quite following ya on this one either...I mean I only make 35 now and I can STILL pay all my bills! I know all situations are different, but for example, I plan on having around 60 or 70K school loan debt, say that translates to 100K with interest by the time it's paid off...figure 10 years to pay it off and that's only 833/month. You're likely going to be taking home 5 or 6K/month, which is plenty to easily suppost a modest house/family/car. So, yeah, unless you grossly overspend I don't see the problem.

Seriously...I think the problem is money management, not on the income side.. Me and my sig other made about 80k combined before i started applying to pharm schools and working as a cheap tech. We managed putting away 15% into 401/403's, pay student loans, share part of a mortgage, and travel a lot. Plus, we live in a high cost area where 80k is about the median income.

What are you talking about? Defining yourself with material possesions?

Some of us like cars and watches because we appreciate the engineering and design behind the creation. Much like a sculpture or painting a car or watch is something that can be marveled at and enjoyed on many levels.

Dont be a hater.

To each their own.

Truly, a marvel of modern technology and enlightenment:

:p
To contribute to the post, I would buy 30 of them.

having a cleaning lady come once a week or once every other week is totally worth the money. and you can have them do your laundry! or my least favorite - change the sheets and make the bed!! I HATE that.

having a cleaning lady come once a week or once every other week is totally worth the money. and you can have them do your laundry! or my least favorite - change the sheets and make the bed!! I HATE that.

hmm that's not a big purchase. Depends where you live.

hmm that's not a big purchase. Depends where you live.

Haha I agree...i know a good number of my friends who had maid service while an undergrad (myself included). Though I don't recall any of them taking the time savings from that and putting it toward studying.

I'll definitely be getting a house first and foremost, then either a z06 or a used viper.

This sounds about right for my plan, except my two cars to choose from are a C6/C7.. and a worked 5th gen Camaro

As for the house, I have a lot of friends in real estate and although North New Jersey real estate is insane, I could live in NY State or Pennsylvania and commute to be able to put money aside

The Camaro talk on page 2 has me :laugh: because i'm selling my 94 Z28 soon as I just can't keep up with what it's costing me (anybody that knows the cars, think about our fuel pumps)
I'm considering a basic '02 Neon for a replacement DD and some sort of 600cc bike to keep my adrenaline going on those nice days

I currently have a 97 Z that I've done cam/headwork/exhaust/few other things...it runs high 12s in the quarter. Not too shabby.

Why? my headers/exhaust/CAI can run high 12s :smuggrin:
you might want to work on your suspension a bit
/hijack

Members don't see this ad :)
Today, I made up my mind what my 1st big purchase will be: definately some cosmetic surgery. :luck:

This sounds about right for my plan, except my two cars to choose from are a C6/C7.. and a worked 5th gen Camaro

As for the house, I have a lot of friends in real estate and although North New Jersey real estate is insane, I could live in NY State or Pennsylvania and commute to be able to put money aside

The Camaro talk on page 2 has me :laugh: because i'm selling my 94 Z28 soon as I just can't keep up with what it's costing me (anybody that knows the cars, think about our fuel pumps)
I'm considering a basic '02 Neon for a replacement DD and some sort of 600cc bike to keep my adrenaline going on those nice days

/hijack

I didn't have to sell my car, but it was getting really expensive maintenance-wise. I had a 99 cobra w/ a P1sc procharger at 10lbs boost. It was sweeeeet. I did all the work myself.

/hijack

Yup, you got it man! I pretty much spin a quarter of the way down the track! :laugh: 12.6 was the best I ever ran, but I'm pretty sure it would run closer to 12 flat if I could get the power down. Just as I was getting the new cam (hotcam) in and heads done a couple years ago and made a few runs, the tranny started slipping too. I just got the tranny into the shop to have built and hopefully will be getting it back on the road in the next couple months. Same as you, however, I am thinking of selling it for school costs. :( Don't want to...it's in perfect shape but I think I could get 4 or 5 K for it. And yes, like you mentioned, the gas isn't too great...I'm lucky if I get 14 mpg! Luckily it's only a "fun" car.

I didn't have to sell my car, but it was getting really expensive maintenance-wise. I had a 99 cobra w/ a P1sc procharger at 10lbs boost. It was sweeeeet. I did all the work myself.

VERY nice, NJ car insurance is crazy expensive and my car was under my dad's name/insurance etc to save a few bucks. He passed away a few months ago :( leaving behind lots of bills. To top it off the rates have gone up so it's just becoming too much to handle..

Yup, you got it man! I pretty much spin a quarter of the way down the track! :laugh: 12.6 was the best I ever ran, but I'm pretty sure it would run closer to 12 flat if I could get the power down. Just as I was getting the new cam (hotcam) in and heads done a couple years ago and made a few runs, the tranny started slipping too. I just got the tranny into the shop to have built and hopefully will be getting it back on the road in the next couple months. Same as you, however, I am thinking of selling it for school costs. :( Don't want to...it's in perfect shape but I think I could get 4 or 5 K for it. And yes, like you mentioned, the gas isn't too great...I'm lucky if I get 14 mpg! Luckily it's only a "fun" car.

Sticky tires! that's what you need :laugh:
but then again if you've got the 10-bolt I wouldn't go much further than a set of DR's but you definitely run the risk of grenading it.. I forgot i also have a set of 3:73's with a TA cover so that would probably help the acceleration a bit :p

What would you change?

I would like my face to be a little more symmetrical.

1/8 Lithanians definately count. :luck:

I'd like to get a nose job : check out difference in angelina's nose.
angelina-jolie-wig.jpg

Check out the difference... I like the one on the right more. There's less skin hanging down.

My photos are always wacky unless I tilt my head. :hello:

I've thought about getting a breast reduction, but I'm so afraid of surgery that I don't think I ever will do it.

I'd like to get my birthmark on my arm removed because it's just plain ugly and people keep thinking it's cancer (I've had it check and it's not!) or a huge bruise or something. It just gets annoying.

This thread has deteriorated beyond repair or threadjack thanks to cosmetic surgery talk

This thread has deteriorated beyond repair or threadjack thanks to cosmetic surgery talk

How so ? So talking about getting some BS overly priced car is better than talking about cosmetic surgery ?

You know you are getting that car for the same purpose that we would get plastic surgery for.

I just want that little bit of skin cropped back so that my eyes look more similar to each other. Is there anything wrong with that?

It will be a house. Nothing too fancy but something that is large enough and suitable for the family.

How so ? So talking about getting some BS overly priced car is better than talking about cosmetic surgery ?

You know you are getting that car for the same purpose that we would get plastic surgery for.

1. Overpriced is debatable
2. I've wanted that car since a younger age than you learned plastic surgery was more than melting your Barbie
3. I never knew plastic surgery was fun :D

"Why the **** would I want to spend so much money in order to look rich? I am." - Me in 10 years.

Though I figure I'll probably get a little condo in Center City. That'll probably be my only huge thing. I want to be the dude making 6 figs that drives a Ford Taurus. Something oddly charming about that.

"Why the **** would I want to spend so much money in order to look rich? I am." - Me in 10 years.

Though I figure I'll probably get a little condo in Center City. That'll probably be my only huge thing. I want to be the dude making 6 figs that drives a Ford Taurus. Something oddly charming about that.

Why a Taurus? You can drive a conservative nice car without driving the ugliest piece of garbage car ever made!

I don't know about BS car talk.... I drive an 8 year old Acura with 111,111+ miles. Mrs. Epic drives a 7 year old Honda minivan. We have a Honda Element Dinghy for our motorhome..

Ok..so I've gone through a few sports cars.. but they were never extravagant.

But why do I want a ferrari? It's an Italian piece of art. I will buy it used and won't lose money on it. I'll probably keep it for a few years and get rid of it...like all of my other sports cars. I can't think how this parallels getting a nose job..:rolleyes:

I don't know about BS car talk.... I drive an 8 year old Acura with 111,111+ miles. Mrs. Epic drives a 7 year old Honda minivan. We have a Honda Element Dinghy for our motorhome..

Ok..so I've gone through a few sports cars.. but they were never extravagant.

But why do I want a ferrari? It's an Italian piece of art. I will buy it used and won't lose money on it. I'll probably keep it for a few years and get rid of it...like all of my other sports cars. I can't think how this parallels getting a nose job..:rolleyes:

Very simple, I am only a nose job away from looking like an Italian piece of art. If I get it, I can be enjoying art whenever I please at my own convenience.

( I hope this came out at least a bit funny ):luck:

Very simple, I am only a nose job away from looking like an Italian piece of art. If I get it, I can be enjoying art whenever I please at my own convenience.

( I hope this came out at least a bit funny ):luck:

Post your picture. I'll photoshop your nose to look like Angelina's..

Why a Taurus? You can drive a conservative nice car without driving the ugliest piece of garbage car ever made!

They are American made and last forever. My current Taurus has 156,000+ on it. I actually like the Five-Hundred better. I dunno. I'm pretty sure I'll need a new one pretty soon. I'll get something 3-4 years old. That's usually the point in which depreciation starts to affect the value at a lesser rate...

Breast augs aren't too expensive, I see billboards around here advertising them for $2995 with interest free financing OAC.

im not going buy anything now.... bt after my graduation i wish 2 make a pharmacuticals company...

This was my first big purchase 8 months after I graduated.

1995chevrolettahoe1890ejn2.jpg

Regular unleaded was around $1.29 a gallon

Well, spacecowgirl, I can definitely understand how embarrassed you would feel to be living with your parents, especially at your age. After all, you are almost 30 years old, almost an entire decade older than I am. So, I wouldn't be embarrassed to be living with parents at age 24. Why would I be? As for the above comment, " Nothing...if you never want to get any", nice going there. First of all, that comment is completely unwarranted, as it digresses from the main topic of discussion. But if anything, if living with parents for some time is such an inherent flaw in a person's character at the age of 24 or 25, I'll just find a good old traditional Christian church girl who has values and perspectives different from the rest of the modern world and who is not some shallow, whoremonger girl who misjudges me or my character all because of making a simple decision to postpone moving out on my own. But thanks for your comments. Best of luck. :):thumbup:

Awww, I'm sorry I only saw this now. A shallow, whoremonger girl? As you would say, nice going there. Since I am such an old fart, you could have least called me a whoremonger woman. I find independence attractive in a mate. I also find a sense of humor attractive. Pity you have neither. Maybe in another decade or so.

I don't need a live-in maid, but I wouldn't mind to hire someone to come over every other week to do the heavy cleaning. :laugh: Someone once told me that if you can earn more per hour than it will cost you to have a service done then you should just go to work and let someone else do the service. This is of course unless it's something you enjoy. We really like DIY home projects and even though we can afford to hire stuff out we try to do everything we can ourselves.

I can handle the cleaning aspect, I'd just like someone to cook for me. Lucky for me, my fiance is a good cook and he enjoys it.

If you are a pharmacy student, what will be your first big purchase after you graduate?

If you are a pharmacist, what was your first big purchase?

I graduate in May and I am ready to start making and spending money. My first purchase will be a new 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. I can't wait! :D

Nothing. Live poor and pay off all your bills. Do NOT buy a home, but rent/lease a condo or townhouse. Then buy/lease a vehicle that is good on gas.

Fresh out of school ill buy a cheap condo, save a few pennies buy a few houses(resale them) and a franchise, then buy my own house, 2-3years later ill be a millionaire, and buy a used Lamborghini and a motorcycle and retire in my 40's

Fresh out of school ill buy a cheap condo, save a few pennies buy a few houses(resale them) and a franchise, then buy my own house, 2-3years later ill be a millionaire, and buy a used Lamborghini and a motorcycle and retire in my 40's

And you have this planned out? which franchise? most require large up front deposits not including rights, and profit sharing.

If it was that simple we'd all be millionaires