first aid USMLE step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone studying first aid USMLE step 2 CK for internal medicine or is this over kill? If not, what sources are you using for preparation of the medicine portion of boards part 2?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine that it's overkill, however, I also went through USMLE Step 2 CK so don't feel bad. I also used pocket pods (the so-called "gold standard" for our boards) which hits some of the medicine highlights. Time and time again, people tell me that this is all you need to pass but I don't want to leave it to chance.

If the practice exams are any indication, I think we'll be more than prepared. Wouldn't worry about it!

I imagine that it's overkill, however, I also went through USMLE Step 2 CK so don't feel bad. I also used pocket pods (the so-called "gold standard" for our boards) which hits some of the medicine highlights. Time and time again, people tell me that this is all you need to pass but I don't want to leave it to chance.

If the practice exams are any indication, I think we'll be more than prepared. Wouldn't worry about it!

Thanks! Actually I didn't read first aid much, but am rather trying to make the most of the remaining time before boards and interviews. At this point what in your opinion are the most important sources and reads for boards and interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to go with PRISM, PI Manual and Pocket Pods. If any topics come up that I don't feel comfortable with, I've read up using McG or Hershey.

There are so many resources out there I decided to pick a few and stick with them rather than spread myself out too thin. For our needs, I think these three are pretty solid and I'm happy with how my study plan has been turning out. You could certainly make an argument for some additional resources, but at this point, I'm hesitant to rock the boat since we're so close to boards and interviews. I figure that my time spent working hard throughout school and during externships should help bring the information together a little easier. :xf:

Same. PI, Prism, Pocket Pods. I did buy and have read Step-Up to Medicine (USMLE II study guide book) as well. I should say that I have skipped over entire systems and usually disregard some of the "zebras" that the book covers since the chances of it showing up on our boards is next to zero. I'd guesstimate that I will have ended up covering no more than 75% of the book when it's all said and done.

Since June I have been on nothing but Podiatry externships so I wanted to review some medicine. Major systems will show up on boards and in several of the interviews I'll have. I'm sure class notes would be more than enough if you didn't want to pay for the book, though.

So far I have gone through pocket pod, presby, and PI manual. I wouldn't say I know them cold as they are long manuals, but I took time to sit down and read them. I study well in a question/answer type format so I was planning to read crozer and pearls and Hershey (just the q and a). And of course prism for interviews. Too many sources? I'm thinking it's ok since several are just question and answer books. Between PI, presby, and pocket I think they cover a good amount of testable medicine as outlined by APMLE for boards. You guys have been super helpful! Any final thoughts?

I found USMLE step 2 to be unhelpful same with Pearls.

Pocket Pod book ended up being the most target rich environment. Presby is also good. It's just flat out hard to study for a test with such bad/outdated questions.

One resource might seem brilliant to you but the question writers usually are picking out minutia from god knows where.

I found USMLE step 2 to be unhelpful same with Pearls.

Pocket Pod book ended up being the most target rich environment. Presby is also good. It's just flat out hard to study for a test with such bad/outdated questions.

One resource might seem brilliant to you but the question writers usually are picking out minutia from god knows where.

I think podvamp hit the nail on the head here. Bottom line, it's probably best to pick the resources that make the most sense to you and stick with them. That's my hope anyway! I dabbled with Crozer and found it helpful for random externship questions, but I'm not sure how beneficial it'll be for boards. I'm going to flip through the public health and jurisprudence chapter of Pearls, but that's it for me.

Maybe one day we'll have a legitimate exam and go-to study guide written by the folks that make COMLEX and USMLE. Until then, I'll keep dreaming and will attempt to pull a rabbit out of a hat on January 3rd!

I tell all my student externs the same thing. Stick with one main source and know it cold. You'll shoot yourself in the foot if your reading more than 2.

I choose Pocket Pods. By the time the test came, I pretty much had Pocket Pods memorized. I read it 3-4 times. I made about 200 flashcards from it and studied them every-night. I thought the test was a breeze.

This is my opinion of the ultimate study guide for Boards 2.
  • General Pod: Pocket Pods and PRISM
  • Radiology: Class Notes (We had Christman so it was awesome)
  • Public health and Jurisprudence: Pearls chapter (only the night before ha ha)
  • Medicine: Nothing (depends on your medicine knowledge though). There is a little med in Pocket Pods.
  • Anesthesia: McGlam chapter (I had an amazing anesthesia rotation so I just reviewed my own notes)
PI, Presby, and all the others are good and they do have all the material in them, I just feel that they are too wordy for studying for this type of test.

Study hard for boards and you'll do well in interviews. Good luck.

I used Step-Up to Medicine by Agabegi to prepare for the medicine portion of the exam. Again, like others have mentioned, what you use should be dictated by your study tendencies. Step-Up breaks down chapters by body systems. The chapters are made up of different diseases and for each disease the: causes, clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment types are discussed.
I feel that this study guide is very useful in that it gets to the point and is organized exceptionally well. I used it in studying for part III as well. I felt well prepared for medicine for both boards, so this has become a "golden book" for me.
Best wishes!

Where did you guys have all the time to read 2-3 manuals? I suppose if you were not on externships you would have time, but being on externships... There is no time.

I read pocket pod and Pearls a few months ago and worked hard on my externships. Hope that works out :xf: