Firefighter/EMT dies in collision of firetrucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Papa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firefighter dies in firetruck collisions.

Firefighter Dies In Collision Of Fire Trucks
Trucks From Stone Park, Northlake Collide

POSTED: 6:14 pm CDT April 27, 2004
UPDATED: 9:03 pm CDT April 27, 2004

NORTHLAKE, Ill. -- One firefighter was killed and two others were injured Tuesday when two fire trucks collided in a crash that a witness said sounded like a bomb went off.

The firefighter died at Loyola University Medical Center in the Chicago suburb of Maywood, said hospital spokeswoman Sandra Martinez. She had no information on the condition of another firefighter brought to Loyola. A third firefighter was in serious condition Tuesday night at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, spokeswoman Sheri Scott said.

The collision happened about 6 p.m. at an intersection on the border of the suburbs of Northlake and Melrose Park. A witness said fire trucks from Northlake and the suburb of Stone Park were involved.

Cecil Graham, 39, a mechanic with Pollard Motor Co. in Melrose Park, said he was walking outside when he saw one fire truck heading through the intersection of Mannheim Road and Armitage Avenue. The other fire truck was traveling along Mannheim.

"As soon as (the truck) crossed the first lane of traffic, that's when I heard the bomb -- the big explosion," he said.

Graham said one fire truck landed on its side after the collision.

"I could see underneath the truck, the whole thing," he said.

Firefighters involved in the accident had to extricate at least one firefighter from the truck and had to extinguish flames coming from it, he said.

Ellen Maslo, a receptionist at Pollard, said the trucks were "pretty mangled" when she stepped outside.

"I thought if anybody came out of there, it would be a miracle," she said.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the hospital at the time of the accident, and once I heard that the Loyola Lifestar Helicopter was called to the scene of a accident not more than 7 minutes away, I knew it was bad. Everyone at the hospital just looked really sad, and I could not believe how many firemen/emts showed up there. It is all just really sad. :(

Members don't see this ad.

My prayers are with the victim and his family.

My payers are with our brother and his family