Fired from Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, we've all been there, right? Sometimes you really just gotta take a leak, and want to do so in a way that exposes you to being poked by a multitude of dirty needles
I thought that's why the circulator always gives you 2 urine bottles?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean, we've all been there, right? Sometimes you really just gotta take a leak, and want to do so in a way that exposes you to being poked by a multitude of dirty needles[/QUO
I mean, we've all been there, right? Sometimes you really just gotta take a leak, and want to do so in a way that exposes you to being poked by a multitude of dirty needles
How do the surgeons handle it for a long case? Scrub out, diaper?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that's why the circulator always gives you 2 urine bottles?

With not much effort, an extra facemask can be hooked up to suction thereby creating a tiny urinal.

And don't forget to suction your farts.

Reactions: 3 users
With not much effort, an extra facemask can be hooked up to suction thereby creating a tiny urinal.

And don't forget to suction your farts.

Please.....i proudly clear rooms and crop dust when transporting patients.

To OP. There was a guy who pissed in the sharps container while patient was awake. Didn't apologize when asked about it and was fired.

Another guy for drugs. Found passed out in the bathroom on fentanyl.

Another attending found on propofol.

FWIW, I heard of attending who passed out in OR on fentanyl. Still has license and is practicing but not in anesthesia.

Maybe he was peeing.....pins and needles...:thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
No, it's more fun to let it go during some open abdominal case and watch the surgeons desperately look for an enterotomy.

When I was a pairee early in residency, my senior resident let it rip multiple times during a nasty bowel resection case and I watched the surgeons scramble around in hysterics. Then the surgeon blamed the junior resident, made him scrub out and use the bathroom.

Reactions: 9 users
When I was a pairee early in residency, my senior resident let it rip multiple times during a nasty bowel resection case and I watched the surgeons scramble around in hysterics. Then the surgeon blamed the junior resident, made him scrub out and use the bathroom.
Absolutely. I even let it go when the circulators come near my area and then I look at them like, "You ok? You need a break?".....then sip my coffee which is likely causing the problem

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude seems "not so bright". Badmouthing and suing Trump in the birthplace of the KKK, plus political photos in scrubs, plus criticizing his employer (and the local VA) in the press. Plus I can see borderline HIPAA violations in at least one of his interviews. Just truly dumb.

Some people don't understand that free speech can have serious consequences, especially in the medical field, where the hospital can always build a file if they want to fire somebody (nobody's perfect). This guy had an impressive CV, unfortunately he probably got the ego to go with it. What was he thinking, as a minority, when he moved from California to Tennessee?

As JPP said, bow your head...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Please.....i proudly clear rooms and crop dust when transporting patients.

Elevator farts right before the door opens is my fav. Make sure you make VERY STRONG eye contact as you're walking out, they'll know why in a few seconds.

636640578298979850-Eugene-kneel-1.jpg

That was September 2017, when Gu tweeted a photo of himself, wearing scrubs and a lab coat, kneeling in a hospital hallway while holding a closed fist in the air.

“I’m an Asian-American doctor and today I #TakeTheKnee to right white supremacy,” Gu tweeted.

The tweet showed his support for Colin Kaepernick, a free agent NFL quarterback who refused to stand for the national anthem during the 2016 season to protest racial injustice. Kaepernick lost his job in the NFL but has since become an influential and divisive icon against inequality and police brutality.

Vanderbilt said in an email statement Friday that the decision not to renew Gu's contract was not a result of his criticism of Trump, his lawsuit, or his public opposition to racism. The hospital has said previously that all disciplinary actions against Gu relate to his work performance and professionalism.

Vanderbilt said in an email statement Friday that the decision not to renew Gu's contract was not a result of his criticism of Trump, his lawsuit, or his public opposition to racism. The hospital has said previously that all disciplinary actions against Gu relate to his work performance and professionalism.
One could call that photo a "professionalism" problem. One can call a lot of things "unprofessional" in America. It's the new euphemism for "we don't like you". No concept has enslaved doctors more. That and "disruptive behavior", "patient safety" and other Newspeak pretexts.

As I said, nobody's perfect, and it's very easy to build a file and stick a label, if an employer is so inclined.

Reactions: 7 users
Elevator farts right before the door opens is my fav. Make sure you make VERY STRONG eye contact as you're walking out, they'll know why in a few seconds.
Eye contact. Love it. Let them know you’re proud of that one

One could call that photo a "professionalism" problem. One can call a lot of things "unprofessional" in America. It's the new euphemism for "we don't like you". No concept has enslaved doctors more. That and "disruptive behavior", "patient safety" and other Newspeak pretexts.

As I said, nobody's perfect, and it's very easy to build a file and stick a label, if an employer is so inclined.
Definitely true. Unless you’re of Lebron James or Tom Brady importance....any employer can find a way to get rid of you.....especially so in anesthesia

Reactions: 1 users
Dude seems "not so bright". Badmouthing and suing Trump in the birthplace of the KKK, plus political photos in scrubs, plus criticizing his employer (and the local VA) in the press. Plus I can see borderline HIPAA violations in at least one of his interviews. Just truly dumb.

Some people don't understand that free speech can have serious consequences, especially in the medical field, where the hospital can always build a file if they want to fire somebody (nobody's perfect). This guy had an impressive CV, unfortunately he probably got the ego to go with it. What was he thinking, as a minority, when he moved from California to Tennessee?

As JPP said, bow your head...
The match system man! Maybe he really didn’t want to end up in Tennessee. Or think he would end up ther when he created his rank list.
However as a minority, living in the Deep South, I see your logic. I need to keep my mouth shut and smile and wave, smile and wave. Starting tomorrow that is.

This Vanderbilt doctor got political. Then he sued Trump and won. Now he's out of a job.

Another reason people get fired. Being unnecessarily political. "Not renewed" = fired

Ugh this guy is THE WORST. He’s little more than a troll online yammering in and on about Trump and GOP. Worst part he has amassed 200K+ followers and is occasionally interviewed by national media as “surgeon” despite being fired during his PGY-3 year.

He was fired for goading his social media base to attack and flame Vanderbilt. He did so as a smoke screen to cover poor performance and false allegations of assault (pushed out of the way by a senior resident during a trauma) and racism as detailed above.

It’s hard to imagine a worse public figure for physicians. He’s pretty fringe, though, and hopefully stays that way.

Reactions: 4 users
For such a smart guy he is a dumb-ass. His career just went into the toilet. Now, he has to hope he lands a job on The View.

Ugh this guy is THE WORST. He’s little more than a troll online yammering in and on about Trump and GOP. Worst part he has amassed 200K+ followers and is occasionally interviewed by national media as “surgeon” despite being fired during his PGY-3 year.

He was fired for goading his social media base to attack and flame Vanderbilt. He did so as a smoke screen to cover poor performance and false allegations of assault (pushed out of the way by a senior resident during a trauma) and racism as detailed above.

It’s hard to imagine a worse public figure for physicians. He’s pretty fringe, though, and hopefully stays that way.

Stanford, Duke, HHMI scholar.

Maybe he’s not dumb but trying to make a point, even at a risk to his medical career. For some people, security and their “career” are not the most important things. I always find them very interesting.

I think he’ll land on his feet regardless of where this takes him.

Last edited:
Stanford, Duke, HHMI scholar.

Maybe he’s not dumb but trying to make a point, even at a risk to his medical career. For some people, security and their “career” are not the most important things. I always find them very interesting.

I think he’ll land on his feet regardless of where this takes him.

Where is Kaepernick now? No job. At least he had a career that can hopefully support him for rest of his life.
Gu does not and did not. He didn’t even make it out of the gate. I certainly admire him for standing up to what he believes, I just hope he didn’t make a huge miscalculation doing it at this stage of his life.

Why not keep his head down and finish the Residency? He could have been far more effective liberal activist as a Board Certified Surgeon in either Chicago, LA or NYC. Instead, he is likely to lose a year or even two and has to hope a liberal Chair of Surgery (are there any?) will give him a spot.

You're technically not wrong, which is the best kind of not wrong to be, but let's not pretend there isn't something fundamentally rotten about a system where people ought to think about losing their jobs and derailing their careers over even a mild, mainstream political opinion.

I don't know the guy and have no idea whether or not the performance issues cited by the program are real or not. But I've seen people who know they're on the cusp of losing a job, suddenly change other behaviors in ways that seem (to a jaded or cynical eye) designed to be provocative to build a retaliation or discrimination case.

There may even be an element of that in the Kaepernick saga. He wasn't kneeling between the Sunday when they beat the Falcons in the NFC championship and the Sunday when they lost the Superbowl, the peak of his success and visibility. Then he gets benched for Blaine f'in Gabbert ...

That said, I'm inclined to give this doctor the benefit of the doubt as just an innocent garden variety ******* addicted to Twitter, Facebook, and other internet attention drugs. Sometimes a protester is just a protester. And sometimes a resident who needs to find another line of work, is just a resident who needs to find another line of work.

Reactions: 4 users
That said, I'm inclined to give this doctor the benefit of the doubt as just an innocent garden variety ******* addicted to Twitter, Facebook, and other internet attention drugs. Sometimes a protester is just a protester. And sometimes a resident who needs to find another line of work, is just a resident who needs to find another line of work.

well this paragraph didn't age well :D . Though I had the same assessment, but man, it was worse than any of us could have imagined.
He’s going to try to be the next Shaun King or Deray

One of the hilarious things about this case is that King has probably received a thousand tweets and message about it and he's never spoken about it even once from what I can tell... and King has shown he'll will believe anything. Methinks Shaun wouldn't have cared about a Korean-American resident being discriminated against even if it were true. He's already shown us he's not too fond of Jews.

well this paragraph didn't age well :D . Though I had the same assessment, but man, it was worse than any of us could have imagined.

One of the hilarious things about this case is that King has probably received a thousand tweets and message about it and he's never spoken about it even once from what I can tell... and King has shown he'll will believe anything. Methinks Shaun wouldn't have cared about a Korean-American resident being discriminated against even if it were true. He's already shown us he's not too fond of Jews.

I’ve been saying this guy has been bad news from the start, but I never imagined it was this bad. On the plus side, he’s now totally finished as a physician. Good riddance. He straight up body and sl*t shames the woman and blocks anyone who calls him out - the definition of hypocrisy.

The real unfortunate thing is this only hurts the causes he was trying to advance.

Another article.

Is This Controversial Doctor a Progressive Surgeon or a Manipulative Twitter Troll?