Finding a Real Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple638

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's the last year of residency for some of us and I was wondering how early do people start looking for jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

This is an excellent time.
What kind of practice interests you?

I would start working on getting the medical license ASAP. Some states are notoriously slow and inefficient with getting you the license. NJ, California & Florida in particular have reputations of driving doctors bonkers with the process. In NJ, you'll have to wait 6-12 months before they approve your license, and pay a hefty fee (about $1000). In Pennsylvania which is NJ's neighbor, and was right across the river, it took about a month, and was extremely cheaper vs NJ with the fee.

Some places won't even consider you until you get the license. After you've obtained one, I would start calling places at least a few months ahead graduation. The sooner the better, but at this point I wouldn't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my medical license in Louisiana but I'm with the national health service corp so I'm applying to sites throughout the Southern States. I've finally begun contacting site and I'll probably start setting up interviews for the month of November. It just all seems so surreal. This is what we work so hard to get and now that the time is nearing to actually get a real job, I'm starting to feel the butterflies.

I have my medical license in Louisiana but I'm with the national health service corp so I'm applying to sites throughout the Southern States. I've finally begun contacting site and I'll probably start setting up interviews for the month of November. It just all seems so surreal. This is what we work so hard to get and now that the time is nearing to actually get a real job, I'm starting to feel the butterflies.

Wait until you get that first paycheck! :)
Wait until you realize that the withholding from that first check is approximately equal to a full month's net when you were a resident! :eek:

Wait until you get that first paycheck! :)
Wait until you realize that the withholding from that first check is approximately equal to a full month's net when you were a resident! :eek:
Sounds great. If you haven't upscaled your life style and thus something left at the end of the month, my account is... :rolleyes:
:D