All Branch Topic (ABT) Financial Assistance Program + Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InsertMemberNameHere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Financial Assistance Program that I couldn't find with the SDN search function. I am planning to sign up for the Financial Assistance Program if I (hopefully) match into a civilian psychiatry residency this upcoming March. I am also interested in completing a child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship to became a child psychiatrist.

My question is this: If I sign up for the Financial Assistance Program, would my active duty service obligation through FAP require me to serve immediately after completing my general psychiatry residency, or would I be allowed to apply for a child psychiatry fellowship during residency and complete the fellowship before my active duty service obligation?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't know the answer, but I would highly doubt they would let you apply to that fellowship. We don't have children or adolescents in the military and the current focus seems to be on only having what is absolutely needed for the active duty population.

I honestly don't know the answer, but I would highly doubt they would let you apply to that fellowship. We don't have children or adolescents in the military and the current focus seems to be on only having what is absolutely needed for the active duty population.

This would be my guess as well. The Financial Assistance Program is very small among all 3 branches, so I anticipated that it would be difficult to find the answer to such a niche question. However, if anyone is able to shed more light or experience on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2018 Navy GMESB results gave 1 FTIS (full time in service) spot for child psych and 1 FTOS (full time out-service) spot for child psych to start 2019. So as of this past year they are still training them. As for the year you will be applying for fellowship??? Who knows.

But either way it sounds like you want to do fellowship before even coming on active duty to repay FAP, correct? I doubt this would be OK. You would likely either have to apply for the fellowship spots once you are an active duty staff repaying FAP which then rolls you in to the same fellowship application and payback required of other active duty docs. Or serve your FAP time and then do fellowship when off active duty.

I'll keep looking though. Haven't found any instructions yet which specifically address this.