Financial aid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrTee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on attending a school that I was accepted to off of a waitlist, so I'm just completing the financial aid stuff now. I was wondering if I should even bother filling out the parental information if my parents made over 250K last year. They have a new house that's really expensive, so they're probably not going to be able to kick down much for my med school. Will I only be able to borrow money and not get any kind of $ from the school? Anyone who's been thru the financial aid thing want to chime in?

Members don't see this ad.

MrTee said:
I'm planning on attending a school that I was accepted to off of a waitlist, so I'm just completing the financial aid stuff now. I was wondering if I should even bother filling out the parental information if my parents made over 250K last year. They have a new house that's really expensive, so they're probably not going to be able to kick down much for my med school. Will I only be able to borrow money and not get any kind of $ from the school? Anyone who's been thru the financial aid thing want to chime in?

I think parental information is pretty much required at most institutions for financial aid purposes. You'd might as well fill it out, who knows, you may get something. PLUS, your parents primary home is not taken into account when determining institutional aid (I.E. they could have a $10 million home and it wouldn't be factored into the equation). I'd go ahead and fill everything out and hope for the best. What do you have to lose?

parental information is not required. if you've made your own money and filled out your own federal income tax form than just put your info in. there are some sources of money that require parental info, but for the basic stafford loan stuff doesn't require it.

If part of the 250K you're talking about is taking into account house income (ie, money from selling a house that they have turned around and reinvested into a new house purchase), that would not be counted as income. If the 250K is just plain income, then I would not bother with the hassle of filling out your parents income as well. I forget the actual rules, but if you're past a certain age, or you have lived for a certain number of years out of your parents house, you are considered "independent" by FAFSA, and not required to submit your parent's financial info. You will still qualify for the same amount in federal loans (Stafford sub. and unsub.) as everyone else.

Where submitting parents' info. is helpful is if you are trying to qualify for Perkins loans, or need-based grants/scholarships offered by your school -- to qualify for the grants and scholarships, your parents' info is usually required by the school. No matter what the tuition, a parents' income of 250K will not "help" you qualify for these need-based forms of aid.

As for "getting" money from the school, it just depends on how their fin. aid office usually works and how generous they can afford to be, ie, some private schools routinely give "scholarships" to offset the high cost of tuition and to help lure students to their school. I put scholarships in quotations, because really these just end up being discounted prices on tuition since they are offered liberally throughout the class. If it's a strictly need-based system, you will be hard-pressed to qualify for additional aid outside of federal loans.