financial aid, parental contribution, and marital status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duck2005

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know whether parental contribution is taken into account even if the medical student is married. that is, do they still expect parent's to contribute when the student is married? anyone know from experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, med students are considered independent of their parents. THere are exceptions to this that I encountered 4 years ago when I interviewed at different places. Northwestern counts parents unless you qualify under a really bizarre set of circumstances (as in you personally achieved a certain income as a yearly AVERAGE over 10-15 years prior to matriculation, then you may be considered independent...the income was pretty high too, since I had been working full-time and still didn't make that much a year, let alone for 10 years.). Maybe a NWU student could clarify if I misunderstood.

I think 99% of med schools consider you independent of your parents if you are married...I believe Northwestern is part of the 1%. All other schools I encountered I was considered independent even though I was unmarried....this is probably the norm in 75% of schools (and I'm guessing low here on purpose) if you are at least 23-24 years old (the FAFSA form age qualification for independence).

If you're unmarried almost all med schools count you as dependent. You're independent in terms of federal aid (loans, etc) because the federal govt considers you independent and therefore gives you full federal financial aid (sub and unsub stafford loans, for ex)...but to the medical schools you are dependent when it comes to granting instututional aid (grants).

What I'm wondering, however, is whether most schools still consider parents when calculating the amount of grant money given...if you are married.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smurfette said:
Generally, med students are considered independent of their parents. THere are exceptions to this that I encountered 4 years ago when I interviewed at different places. Northwestern counts parents unless you qualify under a really bizarre set of circumstances (as in you personally achieved a certain income as a yearly AVERAGE over 10-15 years prior to matriculation, then you may be considered independent...the income was pretty high too, since I had been working full-time and still didn't make that much a year, let alone for 10 years.). Maybe a NWU student could clarify if I misunderstood.

I think 99% of med schools consider you independent of your parents if you are married...I believe Northwestern is part of the 1%. All other schools I encountered I was considered independent even though I was unmarried....this is probably the norm in 75% of schools (and I'm guessing low here on purpose) if you are at least 23-24 years old (the FAFSA form age qualification for independence).
northwestern's criteria is that to be considered independent you have to have made at least $2000 per month (more if you are married) for at least 30 months prior to matriculation. the 30 months do not have to be consecutive. if you are married, but don't meet those criteria, they consider you dependent and count both your parents' and your spouses income as your financial resources. and yes, this is one of the strictest policies out there. it sucks for a lot of people (although luckily not for me ;) )

duck2005 said:
If you're unmarried almost all med schools count you as dependent. You're independent in terms of federal aid (loans, etc) because the federal govt considers you independent and therefore gives you full federal financial aid (sub and unsub stafford loans, for ex)...but to the medical schools you are dependent when it comes to granting instututional aid (grants).

What I'm wondering, however, is whether most schools still consider parents when calculating the amount of grant money given...if you are married.

unfortunately, being married is a double whammy. at most schools, they just add your spouse's income to your parent's income so you are even less likely to qualify for financial aid. at least that's how it is at my school. sorry

duck2005 said:

Interesting...I never once had to submit parental data to med schools for financial aid calculation when I was hanging on to multiple acceptances and applied for aid.

It probably varies by state/region? However, the bulk of financial aid (at least if your school is as expensive as mine) is sub and unsub staffords, so you are federally considered independent as has been discussed here. I think that might mean you can always get enough money to cover your expenses, it's just that you aren't getting grants with different payback terms as compared to the staffords/perkins/other federal loans?

It also may be worth your while to contact the financial aid office of your school/prospective school. It may just involve filling out a form to get yourself declared independent. Sometimes the school may think you are unmarried by default and just need to know you are married by having you notify them....the financial aid office does not always get the same information as the registrar or the admissions office.

Yes, even if you are married, need based aid offered by the school usually requires you to submit parental financial data...its very frustrating for non-traditionals....like me :( I feel like I'm being punished for working a few years before school.....