This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CailOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I plan on applying to the MOT program at FGCU and also UF for the upcoming fall 2017 cycle. I have seen posts similar to this one but some are inactive/outdated. FGCU is my top choice right now because I do like the location and it is also considerably less expensive than UF. However, UF is the top rated school in FL and pretty high overall, do you think the "prestige" makes it worth the extra cost? I have not toured either school but I plan on it if I can fit it in my busy schedule. I am looking for any advice on these programs at all and I especially want to know from anyone that has actual experience or knows people that have been in the programs. I read on some posts from 2015 that FGCU was "disorganized." Does anyone know if that was resolved? Anyways, I am majorly stressing right now as I still haven't taken the GRE and UF and FGCU are unfortunately the only programs I qualify for because of pre-reqs. I would love to talk to anyone at all about their OT plans and I am thankful for any insight because I do not know anyone interested in the field. Thank you!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm also applying to UF & FGCU OT for the fall 2017 cycle. I'm super excited, but also so nervous! I recently submitted the OTCAS app (for UF and a few other Florida schools), but FGCU does not participate in OTCAS so I applied there separately. I'm with you on the GRE struggle, I still haven't taken it but Im taking it next Friday, so hopefully that goes well. I also read that FGCU was "disorganized" and that worried me, I wonder if that was true or not. UF is definitely my top choice because it is only 4.5 hours from where I live, whereas FGCU is like 8 hours! Both are great schools though I would be lucky to go be accepted to either of them. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I feel the same way! I would be so happy to go to either one and I really hope I can get in my first time around. However, I'm already psyching myself out and worrying about what to do if I don't get in. Do you already have letters of recommendation completed? I feel like I'm so behind, I have very few observation hours so far so I'm definitely going to be working on my application up until the deadline. Also I haven't taken a math course since 2011 :( and I am shocked at how little I remember about basic stuff like what is on the GRE so I have a lot to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm also applying to UF & FGCU OT for the fall 2017 cycle. I'm super excited, but also so nervous! I recently submitted the OTCAS app (for UF and a few other Florida schools), but FGCU does not participate in OTCAS so I applied there separately. I'm with you on the GRE struggle, I still haven't taken it but Im taking it next Friday, so hopefully that goes well. I also read that FGCU was "disorganized" and that worried me, I wonder if that was true or not. UF is definitely my top choice because it is only 4.5 hours from where I live, whereas FGCU is like 8 hours! Both are great schools though I would be lucky to go be accepted to either of them. :)

Oh and I meant to say good luck on your GRE!! :)

Yes, I have around 100 observation hours that I got over the summer, and then asked the OTs I worked with to write me letters of rec. They were all super willing to write one, but make sure to give your writers a firm deadline because it took me awhile to get them to do it! I'm also overthinking everything and doubting myself (esp. with GRE prep), but I keep telling myself that I'm doing the best I can and thats all I can do! For GRE I've been using Magoosh (IDK if you have heard of it) but it is online and super helpful. I'm having a hard time remembering all the math since its from high school, but they have videos after every problem that explain how to get the right answer. They also have flashcards for all of the vocab terms which has been great! And thanks for the good luck, I'm sure you will do great whenever you take it! :)

Yes, I have around 100 observation hours that I got over the summer, and then asked the OTs I worked with to write me letters of rec. They were all super willing to write one, but make sure to give your writers a firm deadline because it took me awhile to get them to do it! I'm also overthinking everything and doubting myself (esp. with GRE prep), but I keep telling myself that I'm doing the best I can and thats all I can do! For GRE I've been using Magoosh (IDK if you have heard of it) but it is online and super helpful. I'm having a hard time remembering all the math since its from high school, but they have videos after every problem that explain how to get the right answer. They also have flashcards for all of the vocab terms which has been great! And thanks for the good luck, I'm sure you will do great whenever you take it! :)
Hey! How did your GRE go?

Hey! How did your GRE go?
Hello again! GRE went fine, ended up with a 308 combined, 152 V 156 Q, 4.0 W. I decided not to take it again cause I was fine with the score and I stressed myself out so much over the whole process I was ready to be done. How is everything going for you?
I went to a UF info session a couple weeks ago which was pretty interesting, Dr. Foss (director) said that they haven't accepted anyone below 3.o gpa and/or 300 GRE in years. She also said there are 2 sort of rounds to the accepting process, the committee decides who goes to the second round based more on GRE and GPA, but then if you move on to the second part they look into the extra stuff like letters and whatnot. I was surprised because she said once you move on to the more in-depth round she said it wont make a huge difference if you got a 300 or 311 on the GRE, but IDK if she was just saying that. She said that decisions will be made within 6 weeks of the Feb deadline. She was super welcoming and easy to talk to, I would recommend going to a session if you get the chance! This wait is going to be brutal...

Last edited:
Also I forgot to say this but she said having more than the required 30 observation hours isnt going to make someone have a better chance of getting in, she said that she doesn't like that observing students take up a bunch of space and can't contribute... :laugh:

Hello again! GRE went fine, ended up with a 308 combined, 152 V 156 Q, 4.5 W. I decided not to take it again cause I was fine with the score and I stressed myself out so much over the whole process I was ready to be done. How is everything going for you?
I went to a UF info session a couple weeks ago which was pretty interesting, Dr. Foss (director) said that they haven't accepted anyone below 3.o gpa and/or 300 GRE in years. She also said there are 2 sort of rounds to the accepting process, the committee decides who goes to the second round based more on GRE and GPA, but then if you move on to the second part they look into the extra stuff like letters and whatnot. I was surprised because she said once you move on to the more in-depth round she said it wont make a huge difference if you got a 300 or 311 on the GRE, but IDK if she was just saying that. She said that decisions will be made within 6 weeks of the Feb deadline. She was super welcoming and easy to talk to, I would recommend going to a session if you get the chance! This wait is going to be brutal...
I just took my GRE last Saturday and I got a 152 Q and 155 V, still waiting on the AW score. It's crazy how similar our scores are! I'm the same way, ideally I would take it again but I feel so much better having it done and I can't put myself through the stress of a month of studying (or attempting to study) and taking it again. Thanks for the info about UF! I think my biggest problem is going to be my observation hours. I got a bit of a late start because I just decided on OT in August and haven't had much time to observe/therapists don't ever call me back and I only have 50 hours so far. unfortunately I have hundreds of hours for PT because I work in a PT clinic 4 days a week but that limits my observation days to only once a week for OT :/

Also I forgot to say this but she said having more than the required 30 observation hours isnt going to make someone have a better chance of getting in, she said that she doesn't like that observing students take up a bunch of space and can't contribute... :laugh:
Oh I just read this, well that's a relief I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
I just took my GRE last Saturday and I got a 152 Q and 155 V, still waiting on the AW score. It's crazy how similar our scores are! I'm the same way, ideally I would take it again but I feel so much better having it done and I can't put myself through the stress of a month of studying (or attempting to study) and taking it again. Thanks for the info about UF! I think my biggest problem is going to be my observation hours. I got a bit of a late start because I just decided on OT in August and haven't had much time to observe/therapists don't ever call me back and I only have 50 hours so far. unfortunately I have hundreds of hours for PT because I work in a PT clinic 4 days a week but that limits my observation days to only once a week for OT :/
Nice Job! Our scores are super similar! I feel like 50 hours is pretty solid, how many are you aiming for? Also, your PT clinic experience will definitely look good on your applications even tho its not technically observation hours, and Im sure they will write you a great letter of rec! Sounds like your getting closer and closer to being done :clap:

Nice Job! Our scores are super similar! I feel like 50 hours is pretty solid, how many are you aiming for? Also, your PT clinic experience will definitely look good on your applications even tho its not technically observation hours, and Im sure they will write you a great letter of rec! Sounds like your getting closer and closer to being done :clap:
My goal was 100 but yeah I'm definitely going to use my PT experience as much as possible.

My goal was 100 but yeah I'm definitely going to use my PT experience as much as possible.

Sometimes I second guess if I even want to go to UF financially since it does cost more per credit hour and because the program would take longer since I still need to do the 2 semesters of the pre-OT prerequisite courses. But at the same time, almost every other prospective OT student that I've talked to are all applying to multiple schools, including several out of state schools. I just REALLY want to go to FGCU because its only a 90 minute drive from where I live now and I cannot justify paying for Non-resident tuition out of FL. I don't know I guess I'll figure it out haha.