Fetal Blood Sampling or Oxymetry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jojojak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am one of a team of students of Medical Device Innovation working on a project to develop a device that will help determine foetel wellbeing during labour and thus help determine whether a caesarian is necessary or not. Preliminary research has already been undertaken and we now need to decide whether to go down the route of using Oxymeters or Fetal Blood Sampling. I am keen for your thoughts as to which technology would be better to pursue and why. This really is a question for the medical professionals but anyone with any relevant knowledge on the topic is welcome to give their input. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I am one of a team of students of Medical Device Innovation working on a project to develop a device that will help determine foetel wellbeing during labour and thus help determine whether a caesarian is necessary or not. Preliminary research has already been undertaken and we now need to decide whether to go down the route of using Oxymeters or Fetal Blood Sampling. I am keen for your thoughts as to which technology would be better to pursue and why. This really is a question for the medical professionals but anyone with any relevant knowledge on the topic is welcome to give their input. Thanks in advance :)

Both of these types of technologies have already come and gone in the United States for obstetrics. They made no real impact and I don't think are even available anymore.

I think the Oxymetry failed as it kept falling off? The FBS is still used in countries like Ireland. So if they are obsolete in the states? How does one determine whether or not a caesarian is required? Ie how does one monitor the health of the baby? Whatever info you have would be very much appreciated thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. FBS is still used in the UK.

I'd love to hear more on your thoughts. As yet we are at a loss as to which route to go. What are your thoughts on FBS and what would you think of Oxymetry being used instead?