Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lem1506

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am having some difficulty searching for info re: MFM and was hoping some of you may be able to answer a few questions about the field:

1. Are the hours of MFM fellowships as intense as obgyn residency? (Any comments about lifestyle in general would be great as well)
2. How competitive are MFM programs? Do these programs take into account the “prestige” of your medical school and residency program?
3. Any other comments about what makes a competitive applicant to MFM fellowships?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an MFM fellow but share an office with them. Fellowship hours are long and they do L&D call (solo and supervised) not sure if that’s everywhere though. Schedule is a bit better because they have off service months and dedicated resaearch time, and I think when they are on service they mostly get out around 5 pm or thereabouts. I don’t think it’s as competitive as the surgical fellowships, but still match rate is 80%ish could check NRMP charting outcomes for more accurate assessment, and I know some great applicants who applied broadly who didn’t match.

Like every other fellowship you need good research and good mentors who will write you letter, introduce you around at meetings and write LORs. Also good CREOGs

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I am having some difficulty searching for info re: MFM and was hoping some of you may be able to answer a few questions about the field:

1. Are the hours of MFM fellowships as intense as obgyn residency? (Any comments about lifestyle in general would be great as well)
2. How competitive are MFM programs? Do these programs take into account the “prestige” of your medical school and residency program?
3. Any other comments about what makes a competitive applicant to MFM fellowships?

Thank you!

As someone who just matched in MFM, but hasn’t yet started fellowship, I can tell you a little about what I’ve learned interviewing at a bunch of programs.

1. It varies based on the program. Most seemed to have better hours than residency in general. On average, most had 2-4 calls per month- some programs do home call only, where others had inpatient (L&D) call.

Keep in mind, MFM fellowships have 12-18 months of required research time (typically divided in blocks throughout the 3 years), which are good/flexible hours.

2. As the above poster mentioned, check out the NRMP outcomes data- from the 2014-2018 appointment years, the match rate ranged from 66-80%. From people I know or heard of that didn’t match, they tended to be geographically limited and only applied to a few local programs.

Your residency/med school prestige always helps, or at least helps when they’re connected to the programs you’re applying to. But it’s not everything. FWIW, I’m at a community residency program and I still received a lot of interviews.

3. Research experience- try to get at least posters/abstracts (preferably publications) in residency. It also helps if you’ve had a lot of research experience prior to residency.

Strong letters of rec- especially if they are well known in MFM or have lots of connections and can make calls for you on your behalf. A letter from your program director is required, so being a strong resident (especially one of the “chief residents”) is important.

Having good CREOG scores helps too in some cases, I had several programs ask me for my CREOG scores from PGY1-3.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who just matched in MFM, but hasn’t yet started fellowship, I can tell you a little about what I’ve learned interviewing at a bunch of programs.

1. It varies based on the program. Most seemed to have better hours than residency in general. On average, most had 2-4 calls per month- some programs do home call only, where others had inpatient (L&D) call.

Keep in mind, MFM fellowships have 12-18 months of required research time (typically divided in blocks throughout the 3 years), which are good/flexible hours.

2. As the above poster mentioned, check out the NRMP outcomes data- from the 2014-2018 appointment years, the match rate ranged from 66-80%. From people I know or heard of that didn’t match, they tended to be geographically limited and only applied to a few local programs.

Your residency/med school prestige always helps, or at least helps when they’re connected to the programs you’re applying to. But it’s not everything. FWIW, I’m at a community residency program and I still received a lot of interviews.

3. Research experience- try to get at least posters/abstracts (preferably publications) in residency. It also helps if you’ve had a lot of research experience prior to residency.

Strong letters of rec- especially if they are well known in MFM or have lots of connections and can make calls for you on your behalf. A letter from your program director is required, so being a strong resident (especially one of the “chief residents”) is important.

Having good CREOG scores helps too in some cases, I had several programs ask me for my CREOG scores from PGY1-3.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
thanks for the message !

How many interviews did you have?