Ferris State University COP Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleary

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all! We made it!!!

This can be a central thread for networking, asking questions, sharing information, finding each other, and discussing all things related to the Ferris COP.

Feel free to introduce yourself!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm Amanda and I've been at Ferris for one year so far (CC for my first year.) This was the only school I applied to so I'm glad I got in! Now I just need to focus on passing Adsmond's orgo class and Allegretto's stats class (eww)

I'll be returning to wonderful Ferris State again in the fall for Pharmacy :D. Amanda, sorry you got stuck with Allegreto, I feel bad for you.

Anybody planning on doing the accelerated program? I've asked like 25 people that got accepted and so far I'm the only one that wants to do it :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I am Ajay (some of you know me or will get to know me as AJ..lol). I've been at Ferris for the last two years now. I am from Toronto, Canada. Ferris was also the only pharmacy school I applied to. At this moment, I am considering the accelerated program and I am also considering taking Biochem in the summer ( 6 weeks, M-F, 2 hours a day:eek:).

Right now though, I am just trying to pass Adsmonds orgo class. It wasn't such a good idea to celebrate the day before an orgo exam:(. Thank god I have Schalk and not Algeretto too.:p

I'm considering doing the PharmD/MBA thing instead of the accelerated program. Not sure though! :)

That orgo exam killed me. I had no clue on the CO2 problem and I messed up the aldol/claisen comparison one

I'm guessing I got ~70

I'm Matt and I have recently been accepted as well to Ferris COP c/o 2012. Currently attending Grand Valley State Univeristy, but look forward to seeing everyone at Ferris come Fall :)

I'm considering doing the PharmD/MBA thing instead of the accelerated program. Not sure though! :)

That orgo exam killed me. I had no clue on the CO2 problem and I messed up the aldol/claisen comparison one

I'm guessing I got ~70

Yea, I need to find more info on the PharmD/MBA program.

Yea, I had no clue on the CO2 mechanism either and I messed up on the syntheses. ~70 would be a good guess for me too. Oh welllllll!:)

Hey guys, so glad you found this! :)

I'm Jen. I'm from the Kalamazoo area, took most of my science pre-reqs at KVCC, have a BS in Math though from WMU... I can't wait to start in the fall!

Amanda or Ajay - since you're already in Big Rapids, can you give any tips on where to look for housing? When I took the PCAT, I explored the downtown a bit and like the idea of living in/near downtown - is it reasonably priced? Do you know how I can go about finding a downtown single apartment for rent?

My name is Sadiq. I will be attending ferris state also. Looking forward to meet all of you. Since I am from texas, I am concerned about housing and weather. I might go visit this place in the summer. one more question to apatel88... why are you taking biochem in the summer. I might also choose the accelerated option.

That orgo exam killed me.

Hehe, I finished my pre-reqs in December....it's been nice to have this long break from the stress of exams!! ;)

Good luck to all of you finishing up your classes.

Hellu everyone,

I'm Amanda (but my friends all call me Cinderella) lol. I'm from Houston, TX.
I'm getting my Biochem degree this May =]
Houston is a VERY HOT city so i'm a lil concerned abt the snow in MI. I mean I love snow, just too much snow can be annoying hehe.
Very excited to see everyone in the Fall :thumbup:

Hey guys, so glad you found this! :)

I'm Jen. I'm from the Kalamazoo area, took most of my science pre-reqs at KVCC, have a BS in Math though from WMU... I can't wait to start in the fall!

Amanda or Ajay - since you're already in Big Rapids, can you give any tips on where to look for housing? When I took the PCAT, I explored the downtown a bit and like the idea of living in/near downtown - is it reasonably priced? Do you know how I can go about finding a downtown single apartment for rent?

Sorry, I really don't know much about housing here. I've been stuck in the rooms my two years here and so have most of the people I know.

My name is Sadiq. I will be attending ferris state also. Looking forward to meet all of you. Since I am from texas, I am concerned about housing and weather. I might go visit this place in the summer. one more question to apatel88... why are you taking biochem in the summer. I might also choose the accelerated option.

Well in the fall, you have to take Medical Biochem. However, they offer it during the summer and allow students to take in the summer instead of the fall. They really don't recommend it because in the winter you take intro to drug action which relies on the things you learn in biochem but alot of the students seem to like to take it in the summer and have an easier Fall. However, I think only current Ferris students can do it. When I talked to the secretey at the COP about taking biochem in the summer, she first asked me if I am a current Ferris student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone can take biochem in the summer. She probably asked if you were a current student in order to make suer you fill out the right forms or whatever.

I was in the honors intro to pharmacy class last semester and they said that biochem in the summer is recommended for people who have to study a lot to get good grades. Apparently the first sem of p1 is brutal and they don't want to overwhelm people

aw man, do you know when summer school starts?
I'm international student so I REALLY wanted to go back to my country this summer. Have been gone for almost 4 yrs now. :(
Yea, for now i'm considering accelerated program too.
Just out of curiosity, have anyone mailed in the deposit check already? I'm mailing mine tmr, btw

I'm Jen from Okemos, and I'm graduating from MSU with a B.S. in microbiology and molecular genetics. I just started working at an entomology lab, which I'll do for most of the summer. I'm doing my last pre-requisite, econ, online starting May 12th and ending June 26th. I plan to do the accelerated path, I'm confident I can handle it. I hate snow, but as long as I'm not really driving in it, I can stand it. It's definitely worth it to me to pay in-state tuition rather than out-of-state!
I didn't think of applying to pharmacy school until late November, so I decided to take the pcat in January. I didn't get to apply to U of M or Wayne b/c their deadlines were long past. But Ferris fortunately had a late application due date, so here I am!
I'm really excited (and nervous!) about starting this fall. I really think we should start a facebook group, and start becoming friends!

Geez guys, I thought there would be more conversation going on here. ;)

I'll start... Who sent in their $500? I did! Anybody know when we find out about that 3k/year scholarship?

I'm sending it in tomorrow I think. I don't know when we find out about the scholarship, I hope I'm found to be in enough financial need.

I went in and paid my $500 via my debit card last week. Tara Lee (the secretary I think - she knows everything, though!) said that the scholarship letters should be sent out in the next couple of weeks

I also created a facebook group for all of us!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15128267819

I sent my check in right after I get my letter (Fri 18th) and they haven't cashed my check yet. I wonder if anyone else in the same situation?

Yea i went into the office and gave in a check..they haven't cashed it either
if i knew they took credit/debit, i would have paid with my card..

Anyone know when they send out fall class schedules and things like that...i assume it will come with scholarship letters

that's what i was thinking too. hopefully we get that soon, i want to know what my schedule is going to look like for the fall. oh, the facebook group didn't have an admin, so i appointed myself to be one :clap:.

I'm not too good at this facebook stuff - I created the group, why am I not an admin? :oops:

Not that I don't mind other admins or anything, it's just curious

Hi all! Since I've been accepted to Ferris now, I don't find myself checking SDN every hour on the hour every day...!

Sent my $500 check in right away, and nope - they haven't cashed it yet. I'm anxious, too, for the class schedule to be shared with us.

Fun - we have a Facebook group now! Thanks. :) I'll try to check that tonight at home.

I figured out my housing near the end of last week and I'm happy about that. I'll be doing the on-campus housing thing. That's okay. :rolleyes: I like to exercise regularly, so it'll be good to be so close to the gym/fitness center. Does anyone who is currently at Ferris use the gym/fitness center? If so - what's it like?

Hi all! Since I've been accepted to Ferris now, I don't find myself checking SDN every hour on the hour every day...!

Sent my $500 check in right away, and nope - they haven't cashed it yet. I'm anxious, too, for the class schedule to be shared with us.

Fun - we have a Facebook group now! Thanks. :) I'll try to check that tonight at home.

I figured out my housing near the end of last week and I'm happy about that. I'll be doing the on-campus housing thing. That's okay. :rolleyes: I like to exercise regularly, so it'll be good to be so close to the gym/fitness center. Does anyone who is currently at Ferris use the gym/fitness center? If so - what's it like?

Are you staying in the east/south campus apartments? If so, I'll be there too! I've been *to* the gym though I haven't worked out there (I only get over there to give blood). It's gorgeous, though! They have very nice stuff - a rock climbing wall and everything, Hopefully living right next to it next year will mean I'll actually use the gym that I'm paying for :)

Here's the website for it:
http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/studentlife/u-rec/

Anyone know when they send out fall class schedules and things like that...i assume it will come with scholarship letters

I emailed Tara, and this is what she told me "The packet that I send out won't go out until late May." Hope it helps!
=]

I'm usually at the gym 4-5 days a week. It's really nice, always clean, but the weight room is on the small side. It gets pretty busy in the evenings, theres usually a wait for the ellipticals/bikes after 5pm.

Yep - I'll be in the east/south campus apartments. I'm hoping to get a chance to drive up and see them within the next month or so... Do they look more like dorms or like a mini apartment complex? I'm assuming they're at least well maintained! I'm actually looking forward to living there more and more!

Gym 4-5 days a week for me, too. I love love LOVE it! I've been going to a gym for the last year where they offer Les Mills classes and I'm totally going to miss that program. It crosses my mind occasionally that I might learn how to teach the classes (primarily BODYPUMP, their weight-lifting class) and bring the program up to Big Rapids, but I dunno if I'd want to take on that extra project. Busy evenings seem pretty typical of most gyms. I'm looking forward to getting the class schedule to plan my work-out routine.

Seems like they finally cashed my check in...
Anyone else get theirs cashed?

My check has been cashed, too...

Hey, could anyone tell me if the east and south campus apts are the same age? As in, same year built? If not, which is newer? Is either one nicer than the other?

Hi! So is it alright to get C's in our classes now if we have been accepted. I think I may have ended up with a C+ in my orgo 2 class since I really didn't study for it..

Hi, I was doing a search for Ferris Housing Wanted and came across this site. My son graduated from PGM in December. We have a house about three miles north of town just off of 19 mile Rd. We are debating selling the place, but I would possibly continue renting it to some "responsible" students. We have had a PGM rotation going for the last 4 years. We have been renting it for $375 each for 3 students, or $325 for 4 students. This price included all utilities including cable and internet. The house is a 3 bedroom 2 bath air-conditioned home and includes washer and dryer. The house is about 7 years old and is on a 140 x 140 lot. Our PGMers will be finished in the middle of August. If this is something that this group may be interested in, you can Google the address. It is 20706 Okemos, Big Rapids. It is in a quiet subdivision with a State Police officer, a retired couple, and a fireman as neighbors. If you are intersted, please email me..Sorry to hijack your thread. Email is: [email protected].

So what is everyone doing for the summer?
Are you taking the biochem class?
Are you working?
Which do you think is better and will help in the long run?

So what is everyone doing for the summer?
Are you taking the biochem class?
Are you working?
Which do you think is better and will help in the long run?

I'm going home and working for the summer. Staying in Big Rapids for one class doesn't seem worth it to me.

I am currently a student at Ferris and have been accepted into the cop class of 2012! Congrats to everyone! Im also waiting to hear from Midwestern Chicago college of Pharmacy, and will be attending there if i get accepted. If not, i look forward to seeing some of you this summer in bio-chem and the rest of you in the fall!

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our class schedules or the information to fill out for out internship license?
I thought someone told me they talked to Tara and she said after our final grades have been submitted.

Ferris State College of Pharmacy Class of 2012!!!

Does any here Know if ferris will consider me, an out of state student for resident tution after my p1 year or will I have to pay out of state tution for the whole program?

If I remember, Michigan has pretty craptacular residency requirements so I'm pretty sure you'd be out of state the entire time

Just thought I would let you guys know that they sent out scholorship letters. I got one=)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Ajay! :) And congrats!

When I logged into MYFSU today they had my class schedule online so if you want you can check and see what lab section you are in and the times of the classes.

Hellu everyone,

I'm Amanda (but my friends all call me Cinderella) lol. I'm from Houston, TX.
I'm getting my Biochem degree this May =]
Houston is a VERY HOT city so i'm a lil concerned abt the snow in MI. I mean I love snow, just too much snow can be annoying hehe.
Very excited to see everyone in the Fall :thumbup:

Oh, Michigan will be a culture shock for you. I've lived in MI all my life so I'm used to the weather, but I had a friend who came up in mid november from TN, and she left 3 days early b/c it was too cold for her. :(

Does any here Know if ferris will consider me, an out of state student for resident tution after my p1 year or will I have to pay out of state tution for the whole program?

Yes, you have to pay for two years before you can qualify.

I got accepted both to Ferris state and University of southern Nevada and I am having a hard time deciding. USN is a three year program and expensive. BUT i would be paying the same at Ferris since i am out of state and I also can accelerate. So this comes down to the quality of Education and the school life. I already know what Vegas is like so How is student life at ferris in Bigrapids? eventhough I am going to be in pharmacy school I still plan on having fun sometimes.So please weigh in ur opinions and especially if u are already at ferris give me a description of the life style there.

So please weigh in ur opinions and especially if u are already at ferris give me a description of the life style there.

We drink alot.
cheers1.gif

Hello all. Hope you are all having a good summer. I was just wondering if any of you have gotten any information about applying for an internship licence from Ferris? In one of the letters I received from Ferris it mentioned that I would be getting a packet with information about applying for an internship licence that would be mailed out near the end of June. Has anyone recieved this yet? It is almost mid-July and I haven't gotten the packet yet.

Also, does anyone know how many of the pharmacy scholarships Ferris gives out each year?

Thanks for the help!

Hello all. Hope you are all having a good summer. I was just wondering if any of you have gotten any information about applying for an internship licence from Ferris? In one of the letters I received from Ferris it mentioned that I would be getting a packet with information about applying for an internship licence that would be mailed out near the end of June. Has anyone recieved this yet? It is almost mid-July and I haven't gotten the packet yet.

Also, does anyone know how many of the pharmacy scholarships Ferris gives out each year?

I haven't gotten a packet yet, and I don't know of anyone who has yet. And I think I remember hearing that there were 35 scholarships? Not positive though.

I got a packet of information in the mail today. It included an application for a license(which I already applied for), a schedule and an immunization form.