Females or Male PT's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperKirby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
just wondering, are there more females, or male PT's? Anyone have a stat sheet? I know in OT, there are about 94% females and 6% males. Why such a huge discrepancy in OT? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

By far more females in PT. I think it goes back to the founding of the profession where it was women caring for soldiers in World War I and Polio victims. In my program, we have 34 students and only 5 males!

I heard a stat in an earlier class that the majority of PTs are female, however the majority of private clinic owners are men. I find this very interesting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Females certainly outnumber males in the PT profession. According to APTA it is around 7:3.
http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=59985

Don't take this the wrong way.
Many people in PT are med school rejects - sorry but this is no lie! When asked during our second day of classes, "Who here applied to med school?" 95% raised their hand. The prof then laughed and said "slightly lower than previous years!"

In fact, with conversations with older PTs, I've come to notice this trend for most of them as well.

So to answer your question, I just think that some med-school-bound people, males especially, will feel inadequate serving as DPTs. Unfortunately, this profession does not YET carry the strength and respect of a medical profession.

It's up to us PTs to change that !!

Many people in PT are med school rejects - sorry but this is no lie! When asked during our second day of classes, "Who here applied to med school?" 95% raised their hand. The prof then laughed and said "slightly lower than previous years!"

In fact, with conversations with older PTs, I've come to notice this trend for most of them as well.

So to answer your question, I just think that some med-school-bound people, males especially, will feel inadequate serving as DPTs. Unfortunately, this profession does not YET carry the strength and respect of a medical profession.

I'm not sure if you were trying to make a particular point by responding directly to my post, but I did want to at least point out that your evidence is only anecdotal. By and large, the PTs and PT students I have met had decided on a career in PT very early on in undergrad or well before that, both female and male. Not all of them of course, but an unofficial majority. And if "med school rejects" are only coming into the PT field because they couldn't get into med school, it would probably be better for everyone if they just stayed away.

As for the male PTs and students I have come across, it seems that working with athletes and in sports rehab settings is what is drawing increasing numbers into the field, many of them having come from a background in athletic training. It will be interesting to see, down the line, if the male PTs start to equally move into other areas as well.

Surprisingly, my class is 70% male and 30% female.

Surprisingly, my class is 70% male and 30% female.

That's interesting.

I by no means wanted my post to sound rude. It's just what I have witnessed as a PT student in Canada. At most schools the girls outnumber the guys, and the majority of students I've met have been med-rejects. But, yes there are a few who always wanted to be in this field.

Yeah I've had a couple of male PTs tell me if the DPT was a requirement when they were younger they would have gone to med school. Not real encouraging, but that is their goals and not mine. I really can't fathom someone just winging PT school because they couldn't get into med. Why not just wait a year if that's what they wanted. I hear it's tougher to get into PT school than Med school now a days anyways. Of course I've heard a lot of discrepancies.

I read in an article somewhere that the majority in PT are females. Only 3 of 10 in the profession are males. Most of the males wanted to work in areas of orthopedics or run their own clinic. I can say as a male myself, being part owner in a outpatient clinic would be a long-term goal. I say this though, assuming that this profession can move towards a more autonomous role. So their is the need to make the DPT do what it was intended to do which is create a more autonomous practice.

The trend showing males prefer to run their own clinic is good for the profession because it should entice them to get out and make change happen. I know I plan on doing so. Diversity is good for the profession. Networking among therapists is essential. Presenting facts of cost effectiveness and evidence-based practice is key. The need to promote prevention services is another often overlooked need. It is an uphill battle but it's worth it because ultimately I think it's best for the patient.

I've heard that the problem with an autonomous PT profession is that their will be more misdiagnosis. I'll say honestly that if this does become a problem than I wouldn't condone or promote direct access. So the key is not having misdiagnosis. If their is any question at all that the injury is not what it seems than refer it out back to the physician immediately. If there's any doubt than refer it back out. It even rhymes. Their is risk but I think it is calculated. The goal would not be to take over role as doctor but simply be a stronger allied health practitioner with intent make the system run more smoothly.

All this being said, I certainly won't feel inadequate working the role that PTs are currently doing now. My intention is to focus on serving the individual and do what I can to get their life back on track. I can focus more on the quality of life as opposed to simply the longevity of life even though their is overlap between these two concepts. My desire to run my own clinic someday is not driven by power or greed but creativity. It's unfortunate to hear so many MD wannabes in PT school. They should have just sucked it up and did what they wanted to do. In the end everyone would benefit.

That's interesting.

I by no means wanted my post to sound rude. It's just what I have witnessed as a PT student in Canada. At most schools the girls outnumber the guys, and the majority of students I've met have been med-rejects. But, yes there are a few who always wanted to be in this field.

Must be different in the States than in Canada. I know you didn't mean it to sound rude, but unfortunately it did come off that way. Either way, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Most would rather reapply the next year vs. change their career path altogether. It was their goal to be an MD and that's what they will continue to strive for until they get in. Those that don't get in quite often look into DO, DPM, PharmD, or PA.

Most in my program knew they were going into PT long before finishing undergrad. ...Oh and our ratio in PT school was 40 girls and 10 guys. Out in the work force, I would guess the ratio changes with location and specialty. For example, I think the ratio in peds is probably higher for females:males. In outpatient ortho/sports, I would guess the ratio as closer to 50/50 or even slightly higher for males.

I don't see how is that related with the original question :confused:...but anyways..... I come from a school that had a health sciences (pre-pt track) and in ALL health sciences classes (general not necessary pre pt) there were like 20 or 30+ females and less than 10 males. And now in the dpt is about the same ratio. I'm not sure why maybe because of what others have stated regarding the foundation of the profession.... and honestly (not comming from a bad place or anything) I didn't know abot pts being med school rejects... all pt students I know always wanted to be in PT... =S

They should have just sucked it up and did what they wanted to do. In the end everyone would benefit.
I agree! Let's hope not, but the "rejects" may be the ones that could work just for the money and may be the ones who are "bad", when they might not be bad just that that's not what they really like. I'm just in my first semester and I'm soooooo glad. I love it =D (I don't like being sleep deprived though! hahaha)

I agree! Let's hope not, but the "rejects" may be the ones that could work just for the money and may be the ones who are "bad", when they might not be bad just that that's not what they really like. I'm just in my first semester and I'm soooooo glad. I love it =D (I don't like being sleep deprived though! hahaha)

I agree that people shouldn't settle for less, especially when it's related to your future career. Although I haven't talked to everyone in my class about it, it does seem that most of the people were set on PT from the start and not med school rejects. But, if PT was a "plan B" I just hope they are now passionate about the field and don't think that PT is still just a back up plan.

I think its funny you mention that "most" PT students were Med school rejects. This is simply 100% UNTRUE at my school. After talking to most of the students in my class, NONE of them applied or were even interested in Medical school. Also, on the gender issue - 55 students are in my class, 15 of which are male... so 27%-28%?

Thanks for all the responses! i think it answered every single one of my questions. As to the med school rejects, I think it varies from school to school, state to state, etc...
I know many Dental, Pharmacy, PT students who were once Pre Med. Then again, I know many MORE Dental, Pharmacy, and PT students who never had an interest in Med school to begin with.

Last edited:
would it be somewhat safe to assume, given these stats, that most schools will slightly favor male applicants over female applicants, all other things being equal?

would it be somewhat safe to assume, given these stats, that most schools will slightly favor male applicants over female applicants, all other things being equal?

I would hope that the answer to this is "no". Though in reality, you're never going to have two equal applicants; there will always be differences.

While there is some desire to draw males to the profession, I don't think this is going to translate to a higher percentage of males applicants being accepted. PT school acceptance is competitive, and every school wants the best applicants, regardless of gender.

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have a link that works on the APTA site or another professional organization to back up such claims. The community college I'm going to be taking my prereqs at has this scholarship:

Wayne W. Walker Memorial Scholarship

Requires a 2.5 GPA
For students seeking a nontraditional role for their gender
Award Amount: $750 for two semesters; pays for tuition and fees

It sounds like being a male I'd qualify to apply for it but I might need to provide proof and the above link doesn't work.

We have 44 students in our class and I think we have 26 males 18 females. The class before us has 40 students and only 7 are female!

As stated, there are more female PT's on the nation-wide spectrum. In my area, males are more predominant. Which is why my school admits slightly more females than males each year.

I can also vouch for my class in that PT school was not a second choice for the majority of us. In fact, I don't know of anybody in all 3 classes that got rejected from med school first.

If you look at the application data from PTCAS, the percentage of applicants who are male has risen by about 1% per year, but it's only around the mid-30s percent overall. Interestingly, a smaller percent of males actually get accepted (only by small margin though). Female applicants had a higher average GPA, and that likely is a significant variable explaining why females are accepted at a higher percentage rate than they apply.