Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slycaper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a prior service (Army-enlisted/officer) looking into a the PHS to finish off my twenty years of service and had some questions I'm hoping the community here could help answer. My contact with PHS recruiters and online info has been limited.

Do they allow fellowships?

Does any one know if it's feasible to join the PHS after residency (EM) and then immediately go into a fellowship/fellowships?

I'd imagine you would have to do a civilian fellowship, right?

Can you concurrently be in a fellowship and a loan repayment program?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand the it, entering into the Commissioned Corps of the USPHS is a two step process: You apply to become an officer in the USPHS, which triggers a lot of bureaucracy including security clearance and Senate approval; and you apply for a position from a government agency that uses CC docs (IHS, prison bureau, CDC, Coast Guard, etc). Once you have satisfied both of those requirements, the USPHS calls you to service and at that point you are in:

"Once you have been selected by an agency, a 1662 form will be forwarded by the hiring agency to the USPHS. It is at this time that your security/suitability determination will be finalized and you will have successfully completed the necessary steps for commissioning."
http://www.usphs.gov/apply/apply.aspx

It seems unlikely that any agency would hire you if you were going straight to a fellowship (though you could perhaps pursue an MPH while working), so I don't see how you'd meet the second condition for being called to service.

Are their any active duty PHS medical officers that can answer the question?