Fellowship after service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cometstarg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to go back and complete an IM fellowship (card, heme/onc, etc.) after completing the 4 years of service for the scholarship program? Haven't really been able to find much information on gaps of over a year between residency and fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, it's possible. It's not always easy to do so, though. You may find it harder to get into the more competitive specialties. You may also not want to take the significant pay cut that going back into training will entail. But sure, it's possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible to go back and complete an IM fellowship (card, heme/onc, etc.) after completing the 4 years of service for the scholarship program? Haven't really been able to find much information on gaps of over a year between residency and fellowship.

It's definitely possible. I am currently a pulm-crit fellow after serving a 4 year obliation and I know of several others. My advice would be to complete a research
project as a resident and meet with faculty who will write letters for you prior to finishing residency. When you actually apply for fellowship, I would again get in touch with those faculty and update them on what you have been doing after residency.
If you plan on doing a fellowship with a significant inpatient component, it would make most sense to work at a NHSC site where you are still doing a significant amount
of inpatient work (most likely rural or IHS sites)..

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely possible. I am currently a pulm-crit fellow after serving a 4 year obliation and I know of several others. My advice would be to complete a research
project as a resident and meet with faculty who will write letters for you prior to finishing residency. When you actually apply for fellowship, I would again get in touch with those faculty and update them on what you have been doing after residency.
If you plan on doing a fellowship with a significant inpatient component, it would make most sense to work at a NHSC site where you are still doing a significant amount
of inpatient work (most likely rural or IHS sites)..

Stillers, mind if I PM you?