Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What would be the top foot and ankle fellowships in the country? And I mean podiatry specificly.

Podiatry fellowships? You must be joking.

They're a farce.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are all basically a waste of time. Useless piddling around until you finally face the day you enter the world as a podiatrist, Sound the trumpets. Just what the world needs more podiatrists. Hip hip Hooray.

That IS a troll statement. You can take this podiatry out of touch garbage, buy into the whole bs, and enjoy being a DPM forever.

Two TOS violations in less than a day. You podlings are all going to do great in the real world. If you don't like a fact, censor it. Great way to do business.

Clowns.

These are all basically a waste of time. Useless piddling around until you finally face the day you enter the world as a podiatrist, Sound the trumpets. Just what the world needs more podiatrists. Hip hip Hooray.

That IS a troll statement. You can take this podiatry out of touch garbage, buy into the whole bs, and enjoy being a DPM forever.

Two TOS violations in less than a day. You podlings are all going to do great in the real world. If you don't like a fact, censor it. Great way to do business.

Clowns.

cry-baby.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
...On another note - You going to the ACFAS conference next week?
I went to MPMA this past weekend... can't make them all.

I also got married last week :love:
...and am transitioning from a contracted 12mo associateship which rapidly went sideways once I tried to give my employer foresight I'd be relocating after the 12mo term. I'm arranging separation compensation (most associates would just turn tail and move on, but I'm really not wired that way, hay dunno). I'm planning to go into some contracting work and tie up some research I was working on as a resident in order to bridge the gap. Life happens fast, you know? :cool:

I definitely plan to be at most future ACFAS ASCs, and I am emailing some imput later today for the ACFAS committee that I'm assigned to. Enjoy the conference! :thumbup: :thumbup:

...Like I said in my original reply in this post, there's all kinds of reasons to do a fellowship. It's a common theme in human life for people to think what works for them works for everyone. LCR makes it sound like someone's doomed without one. My posts may be perceived as implying someone's silly to do one. In Hacker's book "The Medical Entrepreneur," he states that academic medicine in general (which a $50k year of DPM fellowship surely, surely is entry level academic medicine internship IMO), while usually less financially rewarding (fellowship year undoubtedly is), should not be discredited as being less rewarding overall.

I went to MPMA this past weekend... can't make them all.

I also got married last week :love:
...and am transitioning from a contracted 12mo associateship which rapidly went sideways once I tried to give my employer foresight I'd be relocating after the 12mo term. I'm arranging separation compensation (most associates would just turn tail and move on, but I'm really not wired that way, hay dunno). I'm planning to go into some contracting work and tie up some research I was working on as a resident in order to bridge the gap. Life happens fast, you know? :cool:

I definitely plan to be at most future ACFAS ASCs, and I am emailing some imput later today for the ACFAS committee that I'm assigned to. Enjoy the conference! :thumbup: :thumbup:

...Like I said in my original reply in this post, there's all kinds of reasons to do a fellowship. It's a common theme in human life for people to think what works for them works for everyone. LCR makes it sound like someone's doomed without one. My posts may be perceived as implying someone's silly to do one. In Hacker's book "The Medical Entrepreneur," he states that academic medicine in general (which a $50k year of DPM fellowship surely, surely is entry level academic medicine internship IMO), while usually less financially rewarding (fellowship year undoubtedly is), should not be discredited as being less rewarding overall.

Are you still working at that place? I no longer see you in the staff section :eek:

Congrats on the marriage! Looks like all of the good things in life are coming together for you (except for the new job hunt).

Are you still working at that place? I no longer see you in the staff section :eek:

Congrats on the marriage! Looks like all of the good things in life are coming together for you (except for the new job hunt).
Thanks for your concern and congratulations. I will start by saying that is a bit off topic from fellowships, but to answer your question:

Yes, for all intents and purposes, I'm no longer employed there at Fenton Foot Care. Shortly after notifying the business owner and the business manager that I would not be renewing my associate contract beyond July 2013 expiration date, I was informed that am no longer able to see patients in that office. I was thus forced to leave the care of patients I had treated there, including multiple complex reconstructions, in the hands of the practice owner DPM, James Hirt. Currently, I'm attempting to negotiate a amicable resignation and separation compensation package with that doc and his business presently.

I would certainly not say the job hunt is doing anything but "coming together." Going forward, I am seeking some contracting work near my home in Clarkston and look forward to training local residents and helping the area patient population with foot and ankle issues again real soon. You can't keep a good dog down :cool:

...Incidentally, the bottom line to learn from my business in Fenton is for job seekers and graduating residents is to carefully scrutinize integrity of potential employers, get ethical attorney (not always a contradiction in therms, but consider motivations) or adequately knowledgeable individual input for review of any business dealings, and remember that contracts are ultimately only as good as the individuals signing them.

No offense intended, and I obviously don't have the full story here, but even assuming (arguendo) that your version of the facts here are correct, what did you think might happen when you told him you weren't going to renew? He would jump up and down, praising your ability and skills he had the honor of witnessing for the first half the K? Maybe do a little jig?

Why on earth would he let you stay on for the remainder of your K? To poach patients?

He's presumably trying to build a practice, not train newbies. Particularly those who aren't in for the long haul. And there has to be some sort of evaluation period. I would've ****canned you too, based on the info you've provided. If for no other reason than to keep my patients.

Again, not trying to cause trouble, but I think the real message here is: don't be a dumb**** - keep your trap shut until you have your exit strategy set in stone. Also happens to apply to pretty much every job you'll ever have in your life. I think maybe podiatry school needs a course or two in common sense.

One last thing - if he pays you even a dime more, then he doesn't have a good atty. K likely has an out on his end for "unsatisfactory" performance. Think you've done every case in the past 6 months to his (now much more subjective) satisfaction? Again, there's a lesson here for everyone!

Trying to get this thread back on course.

Which would you rather market on *your* resume?:
1. UPenn (Ivy) fellowship - $40k/year = $40k earned.
2. Fenton (wtf?) Foot Care associate - 1/2 of $150k (being generous here) = $75k minus unemployed/contract for 3-4 months. Minus the inevitable libel (wish it was only slander, but haters *love* to post) suit. -atty fees. =$-30k.

"Good dog?" No, bad, bad doggy!

No offense intended, and I obviously don't have the full story here, but even assuming (arguendo) that your version of the facts here are correct, what did you think might happen when you told him you weren't going to renew? He would jump up and down, praising your ability and skills he had the honor of witnessing for the first half the K? Maybe do a little jig?

Why on earth would he let you stay on for the remainder of your K? To poach patients?

He's presumably trying to build a practice, not train newbies. Particularly those who aren't in for the long haul. And there has to be some sort of evaluation period. I would've ****canned you too, based on the info you've provided. If for no other reason than to keep my patients.

Again, not trying to cause trouble, but I think the real message here is: don't be a dumb**** - keep your trap shut until you have your exit strategy set in stone. Also happens to apply to pretty much every job you'll ever have in your life. I think maybe podiatry school needs a course or two in common sense.

One last thing - if he pays you even a dime more, then he doesn't have a good atty. K likely has an out on his end for "unsatisfactory" performance. Think you've done every case in the past 6 months to his (now much more subjective) satisfaction? Again, there's a lesson here for everyone!

Trying to get this thread back on course.

Which would you rather market on *your* resume?:
1. UPenn (Ivy) fellowship - $40k/year = $40k earned.
2. Fenton (wtf?) Foot Care associate - 1/2 of $150k (being generous here) = $75k minus unemployed/contract for 3-4 months. Minus the inevitable libel (wish it was only slander, but haters *love* to post) suit. -atty fees. =$-30k.

"Good dog?" No, bad, bad doggy!

You are like a turd that wont flush.

You mean that big, badass monster one that gets stuck in the throat of the commercial jetwash-caliber toilet? Or that teeny tiny little wet piece that gets stuck on the side, but just won't go down?

Either way, a very intelligent response.

You mean that big, badass monster one that gets stuck in the throat of the commercial jetwash-caliber toilet? Or that teeny tiny little wet piece that gets stuck on the side, but just won't go down?

Either way, a very intelligent response.

No, those are easy to get rid of. You can just use your hands to scrape them into the water.

I'm talking about the high fiber kind that persistently floats at the top of the water, no matter how many times you try to flush the little bastard.

Let's keep the conversation on topic with the original intent of the thread. If a user bothers you, please use the ignore user feature as opposed to engaging them.