fellowships/salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celsus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on gaswork a little bit earlier looking at job postings and was curious about some of the fellowships. It seemed like pain mgt and cardiothoracic both made substantially more than normal gas docs. Are there any salary avgs for the subspecialty guys specifically the transplant and neuro gas docs. On other quick question is it common a doc to do more than 1 fellowship in anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a pain fellowship. I think a fellowship in general makes you more marketable to any group, academic or private. A pain fellowship is unique in that if you want you can do pain 100% and do no anesthesia. The other aspect of doing pain is that you actually get to develop a long term relationship with patients which runs contrary to most anesthesia practices.

By the way, most (not all) of the people who end up doing more than one post residency fellowship usually were forced to them because of not passing their boards.

By the way, most (not all) of the people who end up doing more than one post residency fellowship usually were forced to them because of not passing their boards.

:confused: Can you please explain.

I thought most Fellowships were filled by FMGs waiting for their J-1 visa waiver opportunity.

It is unfortunate that often fellows take away from the resident’s education by taking the good cases. So doing a residency at a program with fellows may force you to have to do a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought most Fellowships were filled by FMGs waiting for their J-1 visa waiver opportunity.

It is unfortunate that often fellows take away from the resident’s education by taking the good cases. So doing a residency at a program with fellows may force you to have to do a fellowship.

At present the ABA offers certification in fellowships completed in either pain management or critical care. However, there are fellowships offered in cardiothoracic, OB, peds, research, transplant, regional,amongst others. They are usually offered to CA4s who wish to specialize in those particular areas and are often required by speciality groups or hospitals. Good fellowships are offered at institution where there is more than an abundance of specialty cases. Residencies that have fellows do not affect whether a fellowship is required after a residency is completed.

I am not aware that FMGs occupy a signficant number of these fellowships, or at least in the most sought after spots. I am confident that somewhere in the future, fellowships will probably cause the anesthesia residency to be increased by another year. The last time this happened, I believe was 1986.

At present the ABA offers certification in fellowships completed in either pain management or critical care. However, there are fellowships offered in cardiothoracic, OB, peds, research, transplant, regional,amongst others. They are usually offered to CA4s who wish to specialize in those particular areas and are often required by speciality groups or hospitals. Good fellowships are offered at institution where there is more than an abundance of specialty cases. Residencies that have fellows do not affect whether a fellowship is required after a residency is completed.

I am not aware that FMGs occupy a signficant number of these fellowships, or at least in the most sought after spots. I am confident that somewhere in the future, fellowships will probably cause the anesthesia residency to be increased by another year. The last time this happened, I believe was 1986.

FYI, Pediatric Anesthesia and Cardiac Anesthesia are accredited by the ABA boards. In my opinion the primary reason for Cardiac fellowship is to get certified in TEE interpretation. In recent years if one went to a Cardiac heavy residency or did a chunk of CA-3 year in Cardiac, they could get TEE certified. This is no longer the case, I believe the new ABA only boarded Cardiac fellowship goes into effect 2007.

It's actually July 1, 2009, and from what I read, it only applies to certification, not testamur status.