Fellowships in PEDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downstatedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to know what fellowships are available to residents comming out of peds.

dont kill me for this question, but which ones are higher paying and what types of lifestyle/salary is involved (out of curiosity)..

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really speak about the salary, but here a list of fellowships off the top of my head.

Academic General
GI
Cardiology
Endocrinology
Renal
Pulmonary
Neurology
Emergency
Hem/Onc
Infectious Disease
Rheumatology
Child Abuse
Sports Medicine (not sure if this is fully accredited)
Adolescent
Allergy/Immunology
Developmental

So there are lots of choices :)

I can't really speak about the salary, but here a list of fellowships off the top of my head.

Academic General
GI
Cardiology
Endocrinology
Renal
Pulmonary
Neurology
Emergency
Hem/Onc
Infectious Disease
Rheumatology
Child Abuse
Adolescent
Allergy/Immunology
Developmental

So there are lots of choices :)

OBP taps his toes a bit....

Forgot one I think...hint, hint - babies!

So, to add to this list:

Neonatology
Pediatric intensive care
Hospitalist (not fellowship approved yet to the best of my knowledge)

Also, allergy and immunology are combined with the adults for training and boarding. Someone in those fields can comment or you could search as it has been discussed before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic General
GI
Cardiology
Endocrinology
Renal
Pulmonary
Neurology
Emergency
Hem/Onc
Infectious Disease
Rheumatology
Child Abuse
Adolescent
Allergy/Immunology
Developmental
:

Neonatology
Pediatric intensive care

the pay scale relates a bit to how competitive each subspecialty is. from what i gather:

higher paying:
NICU
peds-em
a&i
cards

slight pay inc:
renal
GI
heme-onc

pay similar to general:
ID
pulm
rheum
most of the others

Consider that most peds fellowship rained jobd are associated w/ academic centers and therefore have academic salaries.

The fields that have more private practice jobs have higher salaries (but also have longer work hours) ie NICU, cards

Also, allergy and immunology are combined with the adults for training and boarding. Someone in those fields can comment or you could search as it has been discussed before.

I understand that sports medicine fellowships are also combined with adults...anyone know if that's right?

There are sports medicine fellowships that are based off peds, fam med and internal med programs. All have a slightly different slant but apparently one will take peolpe from other programs. ie the family med programs will take int med or peds grads.

Forgot one I think...hint, hint - babies!

So, to add to this list:

Neonatology
Pediatric intensive care

hehe, can't believe I forgot the little ones!

does anyone ahve any information about the various salaries associated with these fellowships?

For example, does a pediatric cardiologist make a similar amount to a adult one?

thanks.

Does anyone know anything about a child psych fellowship following pediatric residency? I've read that it is or will be a possibility in the future... does it exist yet? If so, which programs offer it (or where can I find info about it)?

does anyone ahve any information about the various salaries associated with these fellowships?

For example, does a pediatric cardiologist make a similar amount to a adult one?

thanks.
If you haven't already, check out the pedi FAQ's which are stickied on the main Peds page. There are ample resources there for answering your questions. Also, a basic search in this forum will get you multiple threads on the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link. I was actually looking for info for a child psych fellowship following pediatrics residency, not psych residency. I don't actually know if this even exists yet, I just read in some other threads that it was in the works.
Well then, no such thing exists yet. I thought the website might provide some useful info, however. :)

Well then, no such thing exists yet. I thought the website might provide some useful info, however. :)

Actually, I think it just got approved in like, 3 places, with more coming if those first 3 do well. Brand new.

Sweet, can you give us the locations or links so diosa428 can check it out? Thanks! :)

Ya know, I wish I could, but I can't find it.

I read this information in a little news bulletin thingie published by a child and adolescent psych professional organization, I think the AACAP, published in February of this year.

I've been looking around my house for the copy of it that I was given by my child psych attending, but I can't find it. :(

I will post again if I find it, or if I find an online copy with free access.

Ya know, I wish I could, but I can't find it.

I read this information in a little news bulletin thingie published by a child and adolescent psych professional organization, I think the AACAP, published in February of this year.

I've been looking around my house for the copy of it that I was given by my child psych attending, but I can't find it. :(

I will post again if I find it, or if I find an online copy with free access.
Yeah, I thought the AACAP should have that info online, but didn't take the time to look for it myself.

Yeah, I thought the AACAP should have that info online, but didn't take the time to look for it myself.

I looked at their website, but can't find it. Mainly I remember that the 3 places being tried are not places I want to live (i.e. not in California, or even on the west coast :cool:), so therefore not advantageous over the triple board programs in time or location for me. But it would allow me to post-pone deciding between child psych and neo, for example. :)

I looked at their website, but can't find it. Mainly I remember that the 3 places being tried are not places I want to live (i.e. not in California, or even on the west coast :cool:), so therefore not advantageous over the triple board programs in time or location for me. But it would allow me to post-pone deciding between child psych and neo, for example. :)
Child psych and neo, huh? I would tease you that those are 2 completely different animals, as it were, but child psych was on my list at one point as well. :)

It seems odd that you could do child psych without doing adult psych at all (or maybe I'm misunderstanding the new program?).

Child psych and neo, huh? I would tease you that those are 2 completely different animals, as it were, but child psych was on my list at one point as well. :)

It seems odd that you could do child psych without doing adult psych at all (or maybe I'm misunderstanding the new program?).

Alack alas, that is among the more minor of my existential angsty woes. I really need to just get over it and decide what I'm applying in. :rolleyes:

Alack alas, that is among the more minor of my existential angsty woes. I really need to just get over it and decide what I'm applying in. :rolleyes:

You can always consider Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrics :D;););)

Actually from what I've seen when chatting with faculty in the Univ. of Hawaii psych department, the thought of doing child psych without exposure to adult psych is scary. Triple board tries to assuage that worry with (usually) 1.5 yrs of adult psych training. Mind you there are some triple programs who will take in pediatricians into their "latter" part of their curriculum, thinking that completing a peds residency is more than enough to satisfy the pediatric part of their curriculum and they will simply have you do the adult/child psych part of their program. I was seriously considering this offer myself but opted instead to do DB Peds (mainly from my own dislike of adult patients *especially*psychiatric ones.

Nardo

You can always consider Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrics :D;););)

i am really interested in Dev/Behavioral peds - i would be really interested to hear your experiences so far (as far as, well everything!) esp. how you ended you in HI (besides the obvious appeal!)

thanks! andrea