Fellowship Prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been looking into funding for a year off basic science research after third year and will probably apply for the howard hughes and a predoctoral slot on a T32 training grant. Any idea of the relative prestige or competetiveness of the T32 as compared to HHMI? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wardens said:
Hey All,

I've been looking into funding for a year off basic science research after third year and will probably apply for the howard hughes and a predoctoral slot on a T32 training grant. Any idea of the relative prestige or competetiveness of the T32 as compared to HHMI? Thanks.

There are others you should be aware of: HHMI Med Fellows (apply with research plan, in contrast with cloister), Doris-Duke, Sarnoff (cards), and CRTP (similar to Cloister). All are geared toward MS2/MS3s who wish to have a research year off.

All are roughly similar in prestige, though the cloister program (to my knowledge) is the oldest and most well established... Sarnoff is also highly regarded. CRTP and Dorris-Duke are relative new comers, but are generally well known among residency PDs.

FYI: I was a cloister scholar. The group sends out a match list each year, and all the students do extra-ordinarily well in very competitive subspecialties. This, of course, is heavily confounded by the overall motivation level of a student who would do Hughes, but it is an interesting observation none the less.

Best of luck in applying. If you apply to 2-->3 of the programs, you have a pretty good chance at getting at least one of them.

-PB.

Thanks for the advice, pb. First, I probably shouldn't have titled this thread as such, as that wasn't really what I was seeking. I know sometimes a title can seem offensive. Alas . . .

Anyway, I just learned that I pretty much have secure the NIH t32 predoc. grant if I want it. Is it worth going for any other more "name-brand" fellowships or should I stick to what I have (funding difference isn't too much)?

Bryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Wardens said:
Thanks for the advice, pb. First, I probably shouldn't have titled this thread as such, as that wasn't really what I was seeking. I know sometimes a title can seem offensive. Alas . . .

Anyway, I just learned that I pretty much have secure the NIH t32 predoc. grant if I want it. Is it worth going for any other more "name-brand" fellowships or should I stick to what I have (funding difference isn't too much)?

Bryan

Doesn't hurt to apply--why don't you apply for them (you can use the same personal statements to apply for each of those) and see what happens--you have nothing to lose. Also, apparently the NIH facilities are just amazing, and the stuff you may do there may be more substantial than at a unviersity setting. I am going for an interview for both HHMI and CRTP early march, so I can fill you in with what I thought once I come back, if you want. Good luck!

I think NIH awards are well-known. And I suspect that what you do during your training grant is very important. That being said, I'm not sure if other routes are significantly more prestigious.